Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R7000 Rebooting Randomly - Isn't hot to the touch

iAmBlue
Tutor

Netgear R7000 Rebooting Randomly - Isn't hot to the touch

Hello, I'm having a problem with my R7000 where it will reboot about once per day. Below are my current specs:

Model: Netgear R7000

Firmware: V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Environment: Normal home at 76°F, enough space for sufficient airflow to router

I've tried switching the location of the router and connecting it to different power outlets, but the same problem keeps occuring. I saw people discussing this issue with the R7000, and it being heat, but when I feel the top and bottom of the router, it is warm, like a normal router would. I have even went as far as resetting my router completely, but it still keeps happening. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The other thing you see a lot of on here is issues with the firmware for the r7000.

have you tried changing firmware? 

I'd recommend version 1.0.9.42. Downgrade to that over a hardwired connection, factory reset the router back to stock, and manually install it. 

Then disable auto updates and see how it does. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
alceryes
Tutor

Make sure your router is receiving proper NTP data from Netgear or the NTP you listed. (if in the US you can use us.pool.ntp.org)

Message 2 of 6
iAmBlue
Tutor

It’s on the default settings, with the time zone being est where I live and NTP server set to the default Netgear one.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The other thing you see a lot of on here is issues with the firmware for the r7000.

have you tried changing firmware? 

I'd recommend version 1.0.9.42. Downgrade to that over a hardwired connection, factory reset the router back to stock, and manually install it. 

Then disable auto updates and see how it does. 

Message 4 of 6
iAmBlue
Tutor

Thanks, it worked. I took a day or two to test it and make sure it didn't reboot or do anything funky, which it didn't. It's just weird how netgear wouldn't fix something major like that with their firmware...

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Problem with it is that not all devices have the problem. Otherwise it probably would be an easy fix. But for the devices that do have issues, for some reason the 1.0.9.42 firmware tends to work well.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7