Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Netgear R7000 Slow Internet Speed - Our Fix - SOLVED

A factory reset will delete all your settings, including passwords. Before you do a reset, write down all the settings you want to keep so that you can input them all back in once the reset has been complete.
Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 51 of 113
Highlighted
Guide

Alright thanks.Assume un & pw revert to 'admin' & 'password' ?

Message 52 of 113
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] Assume un & pw revert to 'admin' & 'password' ?

No need to assume.  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your
model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look
for "Factory Settings".

Message 53 of 113
Highlighted
Initiate

Not working for me. this just recently became a problem for me 3 months ago. I'm a gamer and stream my games regularly and noticed my upload speeds wandering and in late October 2018 stared having an issue where all the connections would drop (xbox, PC with OBS Streaming Software, tablet and all other connected devices). normally this thing runs perfect. i purchased it 2 years ago because I needed a solution for my room that's upstairs and the farthest from the router. I'm also separated by a closet wall with a second closet just on the other side in the next room. this router worked great until late October when I experienced this problem. when hard wired to the modem I get the full 300 down and 20 up that my ISP provides, I even clicked the enable QOS to use the speed test built into the router and it also confirms that I'm receiving 330/23.4 but when connected to the Wifi portion of the router and 10 feet away my wifi will NOT produce the fast and complete bandwidth it used to. All new cables lines and coneectors from the ISP 2 years ago when I first started this project... They even replaced cables and connectors from my house down the block to the main hub to ensure I get my 300/20 connection. they were here almost every week for 5 weeks and after 3 fried routers and 1 modem I decided to get my own hardware because theirs was garbage. I've tried the earlier firmware 1.12.x.x as well as the latest 1.9.xx from a few days ago and still no go... Sometimes it's good for a couple hours then the upload and download speeds just fall off. I want to buy the XR500 some day but not sure if I can trust making a large investment if reliability will be an issue. PLEASE HELP!
Message 54 of 113
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello onevoice

We just release a new firmware for the R7000 you may want to try that see if anything changes.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060566/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-64-All-Regions-except-China

DarrenM

Message 55 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

For those with ATT internet and the Pace 5268ac modem.  If your Nighthawk is setup in DMZ+ mode through the 5268ac then the issue is not the Nighthawk but the firmware for the 5268ac.  See the thread below on the ATT forums.  I tried downgrading the firmware on my Nighthawk and then purchased a different router and ended up with the same slow 40 - 60 Mb/s speed.  I will try a firmware change on the 5268ac later tonight to see if I can resolve it.

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Slow-speeds-while-in-DMZ-mode/td-p/5278373/page/3

Message 56 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

Disappointing to hear this is still an issue - I just signed up an upgrade to 900/500 service (from 100/10) yesterday, and am hoping my 7000p (currently on 1.3.1.44) will do it justice.  I've read on several other forums that the factory firmware (regardless of version) would keep up to 100-200Mb connections, but for gigabit you'd need to move to aftermarket firmware (whether Tomato or DD-WRT).  I've read through the thread here, and while it's a bit dangerous to lump both 7000 and 7000p together because they run different firmware, the suggestion that the security fix implemented ages ago had huge performance impact that hasn't been addressed since is disappointing.  If (as I've read elsewhere) moving to an aftermarket firmware has significant impact on overall throughput, then surely the issue isn't so much hardware (as some have suggested) but rather the way the software runs?

Message 57 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just following up on my post from earlier related to the ATT 5268ac modem/router and the R7000.  I downgraded the firmware to my 5268ac from the current 11.1 to a 10.5 version I found on DSL Reports forum and I now have my speed back.  For the R7000 I am running the latest firmware and the issue of only getting 40 - 60 MB/s was not related to the Nighthawk.  The issue was a firmware update from ATT to the 5268ac sometime late last year that caused router set in DMZ+ mode behind the 5268ac to throttle the speed.

I don't know how long the 5268ac will hold the 10.5 firmware before they push an update but if the update throttles the speed again then I will load the 10.5 again.

Message 58 of 113
Highlighted
Star

Hi everyone, after reading all your comments and suggestion, I have noticed that no one taked about Parental Control with integrated Circle.  This is the major problem with the new update on 1/31/19 - Firmware update 1.0.9.64 for R7000.  When I disable the circle in the setting, everything is fast and up to 400 mb.  I rest my case ... wake-up Netgear tech and fix the problem

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 59 of 113
Highlighted
Star

Hi.  after reading all the comments and suggestion, I have noticed that the Parental Control with integrated Circle has a major problem with the new update on 1/31/19 - Firmware update 1.0.9.64 for R7000.  When I disable the circle in the setting, everything is fast and up to 400 mb.  wake-up Netgear tech and fix the problem

Message 60 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

Bingo, this did it for me! Thanks buddy!

Message 61 of 113
Highlighted
Star

No problem . I just hope that netgear team comes up with a fix for the latest version ASAP
Message 62 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

I’m having the exact same problem as the person with the original post. I went through the EXACT same process with ISP. I am running the latest firmware version and only getting half the speed I should. I will try a firmware revert to verify. I really want to buy the new router coming out but I am nervous since Netgear still hasn’t solved the issue with the latest firmware updates.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 63 of 113
Highlighted
Star

R8000 was just as bad for me. Took it back and got a Linksys. No more problems. And the 5G band covers my entire house. Son is the furthest away and he's getting the same as wired - ~300Mbps. Also replaced my Netgear powerline adapter with an Extollo and get 40% increase on that line. Very disappointed with Netgear these days...
Message 64 of 113
Highlighted
Star

Re: Netgear R7000 Slow Internet Speed - Workaround for now !!! LOL

R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44

This is the only stable firmware which works great for almost everybody with the speed issue while Circle is enabled.  Thanks for all your feedbacks.

P. S. Read my previous posts for more details about what I had done for month of frustration and discussion with Netgear team.

Message 65 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

what linksys model did you get?? about done with my r7000 as well

Message 66 of 113
Highlighted
Star

WRT AC3200
Message 67 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

Please see the post above about turning off the parental controls. That fixed it for me. Using the latest greates with a 400/200 speed connection. 

Message 68 of 113
Highlighted
Star

I am sorry but turning of the parental control is not the solution. We knew it all along. But with the older version , even the parental control works great. As I've mentioned before, Netgear has to come up with a new firmware update period... otherwise they will lose many customers rapidly.
P.s I am also looking for other brand if this continues. Thanks Netgear :-(
Message 69 of 113
Highlighted
Star

I never used QoS nor Parental Controls. And as an IT professional, I'd never patch down to a FW level so low as to lose security fixes just in attempts to get the expected throughput from hardware. Netgear FW has been an issue for a couple of years now. They don't care or we'd see a change. As long as the average web user can connect to the internet, not knowing their router is failing to meet specs, Netgear continues to profit and will be slow to address the issue.
Message 70 of 113
Highlighted
Star

I do agree with your comment 100%. However, most people buy these things to take a full advantage of all the futures . And as you said, netgear does not care and I am personally fed up of their response and carelessness. Once more, hopefully they would one day wakeup.
Message 71 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

It is odd it works for some and not for others, I have no issue with the current firmware. For me it was the firmware on my modem that slowed me down, ever since updating that my speed has been solid.
Message 72 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had this half-speed problem and was just living with it.  I figured I would share this possible avenue for those frustrated with the status quo.

I wanted to add VPN directly onto the router, but of course, this "state of the art" router doesn't allow it; only VPN passthrough.  So, I installed the R9000 version of DD-WRT bios.  Oila!  I now have VPN directly running on the router AND I have full speed!  I had to give up the ease of using Netgear's USB sharing, but that's a price I was willing to pay.  I'm still figuring out how to properly set that up through the DD-WRT menu, but I'll get there.  

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 73 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

Almost got divorced with every fix and upgrade making our speed test worse and worse, until I was down to about 3 down and .65 up. Disabled QOS, without doing anything else and... amazing...147 down and 13 up. Thumbs up to you. If i had a mailing address I'd actually send my thumbs. Thank you, thank you! Between Netgear and Vast Broadband(my isp)... Wouldn't you think that would be common knowledge after the same issues for...maybe 5 or 6 years?
Message 74 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

thanks for this!!! 

august 2019, solution still works

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 75 of 113