Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Netgear R7000 Slow Internet Speed - Our Fix - SOLVED

My firmware release is V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 (current for today) and I was able to boost my internet speed from 60/5 to 170/10 by resetting the QoS first to Manual then back to letting Speedtest determine the rates.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 76 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

Upgraded my Virginmedia broadband from 200/20 to 350/30. The upload speeds increased but the download speeds remained the same, around 25MB/s.

After several resets of the modem and router I beleived the issue was with the ISP's line or modem. While waiting in a phone queue this morning to speak to an agent I discovered this post and started testing with different settings.

I was on firmware 1.0.9.14 with QoS, TM and parental controls already disabled. Enabling and disabling the settings didn't make any differenence. I was at work and connected remotely, a factory reset wasn't an option.

Upgraded to firmware 1.0.9.88 (latest) and the download speeds dropped to below 20MB/s

Finally downgraded to 1.0.7.12. Had to rush home in my lunch break as I lost connection to the router. While at home factory reset the router, input all my settings and ran a speed test. I'm now getting the full speeds from the ISP ~ 48MB/s.

@dcrowmik, thank you for posting the fix and everyone else for sharing their tips.

Message 77 of 114
Highlighted
Initiate

By the way that new firmaware still didnt fix it, after being on the phone with reps for hours I found the solution myself and simply downgraded the firmware to get faster speeds, smh i thought you would have it fixed by now
Message 78 of 114
Highlighted
Initiate

Only solution I found was to purchase a different router. I got the XR500. Issues with this router is IPTV Sometimes has an issue with streaming but I reduced bufferbloat to 90% and it seemed to solve the problem for now.
Message 79 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I cannot believe they still haven't fix this issue...

For me, even hardwired to the router only produce 140M ish when I connect directly to the modem, I get 480M.

Only way to get my speed back is to downgrade to 1.0.7.

Worst router ever.

Message 80 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am and have before experienced the same issue. My wifi speeds through the Netgear Nighthawk router will not exceed 60 mbps and the ethernet ports out from the router say 'No Internet' . When I plug the ethernet direct from my Modem to my computer I get 300+ mbps. I called netgear support but because I was out of 90 purchase period they won't help me without paying minimum of $89 for a plan. I experienced this first last year with my first Netgear router that experienced the same issue. I replaced it last March with the sam Model through Best Buy Geek Squad and now 9 months later I am experiencing the same issue. I am running the V1.0.10.90_10.2.90 Firmware so I am not sold on it being a bug or SW issue. I suspect Netgear has some Monetary initiative in works to force consumers to pay for their Service Plan programs when there is nothing wrong with the hardware. Netgear is fabricating software programs to cause problems and create revenue by not honering the warranty described on the box, forcing the consumer to pay for uneedeed service,

Message 81 of 114
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] I am running the V1.0.10.90_10.2.90 Firmware so I am not sold on
> it being a bug or SW issue. [...]

"Newest" and "best" are spelled differently for a reason.
"V1.0.10.90_10.2.90 Firmware" was so good that it was removed from
distribution:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1834217

What would it take to "sell" you on reality?

Message 82 of 114
Highlighted
Apprentice

@onevoice4uall wrote:
Only solution I found was to purchase a different router. 

This router is the most expensive I have ever purchased.

I bought it specifically so I could have a VPN server on the router, so I can't downgrade to a previous firmware. It took Netgear a few years to update to an acceptable level of OpenVPN, so I could connect my clients.

I am at R7000P V1.3.1.64_10.1.36, the latest.
Often, recently daily, my WiFi drops to 1 Mbps throughput.

I open the Wireless Config and hit Apply.

I don't change anything, just hit Apply.
Speed is back. Wired is always okay.

This is pretty sad.
I'm ready to buy a different router, but I have lost all confidence about which ones are any good.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 83 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had a similar issue.  My gaming desktop was hitting 200 down when I could hit 350 down from the router interface.  I erased the settings from the UI.  Came back up and it was working again.  I was hitting 350 down.  I restored the backup of the settings and again the issue was there.  I think there is something causing a glitch while doing an upgrade path.  Something not getting blown out or enabled/disabled.  I did not have to downgrade firmware at all.  I manually went in and resetup my settings and still working fine.

Message 84 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I sure wish I read this thread this morning; before I updated the firmware... What a disaster.

I hadn't updated in ages... I thought I'd avoid any potential issues by leaving it alone, but today I updated to solve an issue. The result was a complete collapse of my throughput. I tested this morning at a solid 300mbps, but after the update, I couldn't test better than 60. I jumped through a lot of hoops to resolve, but I after downgrading to V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 I was finally able to get back on my feet.

This is truly unbelievable. I'm just glad this community has shared some fixes. Thanks everyone.

Message 85 of 114
Highlighted

I am glad I came across this thread. Lately the same thing has been happening to me as well. Internet speed will drop to 1/10th of my regular speed every few days. A router reboot fixes it temporarily. Ping gets insanely high when this happens as well. Using a DSL connection that has always been pretty reliable. Has anyone talked to or heard from Netgear for this issue?? Top of the line router that was not cheap to buy so this should not be happening. And as much as I want stable speeds, I don't think downgrading router firmware is really an answer or solving the problem. It is just a temporary band-aid. Reason being is firmware upgrades usually fix security flaws. It would be nice to hear a response from Netgear that they are working on this issue...
Message 86 of 114
Highlighted

Same problem here man. Literally my speed tanks down to 1 Mbps download and ping shoots up to 200-500 ms.

Message 87 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I increased my service to 600mb with Xfinity. After turning back my firmware to 1.07 I got 400mb. Still looking for the remaining 200mb. Maybe other brands have my missing mbs.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 88 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was having the same issue using v1.0.9.88_10.2.88 and having QoS on, I was having wired speeds of 1.0 MBPS download/upload speeds and wireless speeds of 35 MBPS downloads with 100MBPS cable modem.  I read from others where QoS was having an affect on the speeds, so I turned off QoS and rebooted the router. I am happy to say that this worked. I am now getting 100MBPS for both wireless and wired.  I would suggest doing this first to see if it helps prior to downgrading the firmware.

Message 89 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just attempted to downgrade from latest firmware to 1.07.12. My ISP is gigabit and at latest firmware I was getting around 150mpbs up/down. Since downgrading it's doubled to 350mbps up/down. Still missing the rest of my bandwidth.

I just don't think this thing can handle it. I'm going to shop around for another router. If I get bored I might downgrade the firmware further, but this is super frustrating.

Message 90 of 114
Highlighted
Initiate

Has there been an official statement on this from Netgear? I have the 6400v2 and have seen threads on this same issue for the 6700 series and now the 7000. Absolutely embarrassing.

I’ve had to downgrade versions on my router because it was cutting my gigabit speeds into a 1/5th. Now I have to choose between the latest security updates and actually getting the proper speeds from my ISP.
Message 91 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just dont think this router has the hardware to handle the hardware acceleration and pppoe required for my situation. I purchased an edgerouter 4 and I get my full speed. I setup the R7000 as an AP and wired speeds are fine but wifi is still terrible. The router capabilities just arent where they need to be on this model.
Message 92 of 114
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Netgear R7000 Slow Internet Speed - Our Fix - SOLVED (NOT solved )

So this post started at January 2018.

Today at March 2020 it is still not solved. Netgear posted new firmware in December 2019 but apparently it was too much of a fuzz for the Netgear Wizzzzzzzzards. The update itself was not working and now they pulled it and have to sleep it off before getting new impulses. So by now it has been over two years since the first problems appeared.

Message 93 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have been having trouble with slow internet for about a week now. A week ago I was able to watch 4k movies and shows but now I can only get 1080 and 720. I feel that i did something wrong but don't know what if I even did. I am seeing if anyone can help about this problem.
Message 94 of 114
Highlighted
Star

Ok guys, I’ve been reading almost all comments and complaints. “Lmao” About a few month ago, I've started to bring up this issue in the forum and even contacted the Netgear Tech support too many times.  The problem is the firmware ..... they cannot come up with a stable one… Period…

What I had been doing for the last few months is that I was testing different firmware as they would become available, none of them would perform as good as this version 

V1.0.9.42_10.2.44

My download is always constant around 400Mbit

I have always been successful to get full download and upload with and without the Circle (Parental control) on or off.  But as soon as I upload the new firmware version up to now (R7000-V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.chk), all of them suck.  So, please do not bother by wasting your time to post and complain about slowdowns since the Netgear does not care. This is a fact and known issue.

Thanks for all the feedbacks and comments.

Message 95 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

@farbod wrote:

Ok guys, I’ve been reading almost all comments and complaints. “Lmao” About a few month ago, I've started to bring up this issue in the forum and even contacted the Netgear Tech support too many times.  The problem is the firmware ..... they cannot come up with a stable one… Period…

What I had been doing for the last few months is that I was testing different firmware as they would become available, none of them would perform as good as this version 

V1.0.9.42_10.2.44

My download is always constant around 400Mbit

I have always been successful to get full download and upload with and without the Circle (Parental control) on or off.  But as soon as I upload the new firmware version up to now (R7000-V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.chk), all of them suck.  So, please do not bother by wasting your time to post and complain about slowdowns since the Netgear does not care. This is a fact and known issue.

Thanks for all the feedbacks and comments.

This is 100% correct.  I have a Nighthawk R7000 and Frontier FIOS Internet.   Up until yesterday, I've had a 200 Mbs / 200 Mbs internet service.  I upgraded to 1Gbs / 1Gbs on Friday, and they said it would be completed by Saturday night.

This morning I tested my speed, and it still showed 200 Mbs / 200 Mbs.   After calling Frontier and troubleshooting with them a bit, I plugged the ethernet from the wall directly to a PC, and look at that - I'm getting 800 - 900 Mbs up/downstream.

How did I fix this?  Exactly what @farbod suggested - I downgraded my firmware from 1.0.9.88 to 1.0.9.42, and now I'm getting the same speed through my router as I did directly connected.

I'm not sure how Netgear can ignore this, or what they're doing to fix this issue.  It's *extremely* reproducible, and while I don't like running an older firmware version, I will do it to have the extra 600Mbs up/down speed available for all my devices.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 96 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have changed the Spectrums modem yesterday. I was working But today suddenly doesn’t work it’s getting online but not any speed without vpn mobile apps.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 97 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

Has anyone tried the new firmware 1.0.11.100 that was just released?  

Message 98 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

That's a great question!  I'm not sure I'll be trying it out because I need my internet connection for my job, and I don't think I want to take the risk of bricking my router when I update from the version I have.

I'd love to hear what other people's experiences are with the new firmware.

Message 99 of 114
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same, under work from home orders and don't wnat to risk it.  i suppose i could try over the weekend and have time to rollback to earlier firmware if it doesn't fix these issues.  But  I haden't considered the possiblity of bricking the router until you mentioned it.  If like you suggested i somehow brick the router i can't exactly go buy another one right now local shops that sell them are all closed and online stores have shiffted priority to emergency items so i wouldn't get it anytime soon.  I ordered a non essential item from the BIG online retailer on 3/30 and expected delivery is 4/20 normally i would have this in 2 days.  So i can't afford to be without a router for that long with work. 

Message 100 of 114