Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R7000 does not see any usb drive

47Jim
Aspirant

Netgear R7000 does not see any usb drive

Hello all.  New poster here.  I've searched the topics and do not find an answer to my problem, although it seems to not be uncommon.

I used a router identical to this for a few years until it died.  I bought a new identical Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 to replace it.  I cannot get this router to reecognize any usb drive, either in the USB 3.0 or the USB 2.0 port.  I have a drive that was hooked to the old router as a Readyshare drive and worked perfectly.  It still works perfectly when plugged into my computer, but the router does not recognize that anything is plugged in.  This, to me, takes all the arguments about incompatible formatting that are so prevalent away.  The drive worked on an identical model, it works on my computer, but it does not work on my new router.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
47Jim
Aspirant

Re: Netgear R7000 does not see any usb drive

Update - I just got off the chat line with Netgear.  After their troubleshooting, they determined my USB ports are, in fact, defective.  A replacement will follow.  Thanks to Netgear and thanks to the Community for your suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

I don't doubt you at all, but did you run CHKDSK on the drive when it was on the PC? I'll assume the drive was on the old R7000 when it died for unspecified reasons?

Are you using the SAME cable to connect the drive to both the R7000 and PC? No, could be a cable problem?

Do you have the LATEST Firmware on the new R7000?

Is the drive a PORTABLE or EXTERNAL drive? Difference is a Portable takes the power from the USB port, External has its own Power Supply. The reason I ask is that it seems there are different power supplies used in the R7000 and other model depending on where produced. If you still have the old Power Supply, check the labels. Could be, and especially if it is a portable drive, this new one can't handle the power requirements.

Since this IS new, I'd use SUPPORT and the MY SUPPORT to contact Netgear directly for help. Could be a defective router even.

Message 2 of 4
47Jim
Aspirant

Always doubt me!  Everyone has blind spots.

Yes, I did run CHKDSK.  I also tried the drive on 2 different computers.

Yes, I am using the same cable.  To make sure it was not the cable, I changed cables and tried again on all computers and the router.  Same result.

I checked again this morning and I do have the latest firmware on the router.

It is an external drive - external power.

Thanks for the help.  I will use the resources you suggested and see where that leads.

Message 3 of 4
47Jim
Aspirant

Update - I just got off the chat line with Netgear.  After their troubleshooting, they determined my USB ports are, in fact, defective.  A replacement will follow.  Thanks to Netgear and thanks to the Community for your suggestions.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7