schwoebel
Novice

Netgear R7000 does not work with a Static IP

I am using a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk.

It currently has firmware version V1.0.3.80_1.1.38.

The issue that I am having is that when trying to use the static IP address my service provider has given me, the router cannot/will not connect to the internet.

I am in and office complex so I don't have access to a modem to reset or anything like that.

I have contacted my ISP and they said that they don't need to reset anything when switching from one router to another.

To test if it was an issue on their end I connected my computer directly to our incoming network outlet and entered the same Static IP that I had tried on this new router. It worked properly.

I then connected my company's old router back up to our network outlet and connected the R7000 to that. I chose to let the netgear device use a dynamic IP address and it worked.

So the issue is that the Netgear R7000 that I have will not work with a static IP address, but it WILL work with a dynamic IP address.

I have reset the Netgear R7000 back to factory settings and tried it, but it still has the same issue.

Has anyone experienced this problem? or know of a possible fix?
Message 1 of 13
theoak
Luminary

Re: Netgear R7000 does not work with a Static IP

Your ISP assigns your IP address? So leaving your router to Dynamic should still always give you the same IP address because your ISP is giving you your IP address, which should always be the same anyway. I have a static IP, with my R7000 set to "dynamic" but because my ISP gives me my IP address, which is static, I always end up with the same IP address.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 2 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

settings, internet setting, select use PC MAC address
Message 3 of 13
schwoebel
Novice

theoak wrote:
Your ISP assigns your IP address? So leaving your router to Dynamic should still always give you the same IP address because your ISP is giving you your IP address, which should always be the same anyway.

I have a static IP, with my R7000 set to "dynamic" but because my ISP gives me my IP address, which is static, I always end up with the same IP address.

It isn't so much that they "assign" it to us. It is more of a "use this as your fixed IP address, or else your connection won't work" But I like your idea. I will try it.
Message 4 of 13
schwoebel
Novice

searay wrote:
settings, internet setting, select use PC MAC address

I will try that out and come back. Thank you for the suggestion.
Message 5 of 13
fordem
Mentor

There are, at a minimum three settings, and often as many as five, that need to be entered when setting a static address - how many did you enter and what were they - feel free to leave the last octet of the static ip itself out.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 6 of 13
MichaelFL
Apprentice

I had massive issues with this.

I had already configured my local lan with a new IP range (from the standard 1.x and when I tried to add my static IP it would NOT save it.. kept telling me it was an invalid configuration.

I spent weeks with the dev team / support

What I did myself was figured out (not sure it helps you)
that I had to turn off DHCP (because I used my own server), save it
Set the static IP save it
Set the lan IP save it and pray it NEVER changed.. because then I had to RESET the my router again.. and do the process again..

Had to do it 5 times to so (NOT fun) when you combine this with ACCESS CONTROL and have 50+ devices...
Message 7 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

MichaelFL wrote:
Set the lan IP save it and pray it NEVER changed.. because then I had to RESET the my router again.. and do the process again.

Wouldn’t a saved configuration file have removed the need to repeat the process?
RTL44
Aspirant

That is not acceptable. Netgear should have a patch available (much like what apple provides) for someone who needs or uses a static IP address as provided by their ISP. I have to go back to my AirPort Extreme router because my R7000 won't work with my ISP's static IP address that they assigned to me.
Message 9 of 13
RTL44
Aspirant

I'd prefer to use my R7000, but can't because of this.
Message 10 of 13
TheEther
Guru

In order to use a static IP address on the Internet port, you need the IP address, subnet mask and the ISP's gateway address.  Do you have all 3?

Message 11 of 13
RTL44
Aspirant

Yes. When entered, I got a message saying the IP address and gateway address were invalid. The person who runs the isp said a patch was needed
Message 12 of 13
TheEther
Guru

I'm PM'd RTL44 and learned that his ISP tried to give him a 169.254.x.x address to use as a static IP address.  

Per RFC 3927, 169.254.x.x address are IPv4 link local.  They should not be used for Internet access.  I'm guessing that RTL44's ISP is using them for Carrier-Grade NAT to deal with IPv4 address exhaustion.  If true, then the ISP should be using other sanctioned IP address ranges for this.  100.64/10 (RFC 6598) or 10/8, 172.16/12 or 192.168/16 (RFC 1918).  I'm pretty sure R7000 would have no issues using any of these range as a static IP address.

In summary, Netgear is correct to flag 169.254.x.x as an invalid IP address to use on its Internet port.  RTL44 should either complain to the ISP about getting a proper static IP address; or put the ISP's router back in place (which presumably works) and use the R7000 as an AP; or find another router that supports 169.254.x.x addressing (good luck).

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements