Netgear R7000 extremely slow in wired ethernet speed latest firmware

alitech
Guide

Netgear R7000 extremely slow in wired ethernet speed latest firmware

I bought this router for mainly its reviews around fast wireless AC as well as a good signal. I think I am doing ok in the wifi department but REALLY suffering in the wired one. Its extremely slow across the board with all wired devices. I have about 14 wired devices and not all of them active at the same time. Most of them are gigabit however some of them are 100MB and one of them a 10MB as well. I have heard that all devices need to be at 1000mb so that this speed can be realised through the router so I am guess that that is the cause of the speed because I have various speeds connected to the router. 

Is there a way to circumvent that? If I have a 10MB device, should i get a hub inbetween the router and the 10MB device so that the router always has a 1000mb device connected to it?

Anyway, that may be one of the issues. Another thing I am thinking is that as this is quite a complex router, maybe I have not tweeked all the settings to get all the bells and whistles. I initially bought to try out some of the open source firmwares, but never got around to it. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear R7000 extremely slow in wired ethernet speed latest firmware

I have about 40 wired devices on my LAN, not all active at the same time, but typically around 20 are. I’m guessing that like me you must have one or more network switches, since otherwise connecting 14 devices to 4 LAN ports would be a tad difficult. I also have a mixture of devices, actually more are 100Mbps than gigabit. I have no problems achieving gigabit rates even with mixed devices on the LAN. So I expect that your issue is not down to the mixture of devices, but maybe something else e.g. QoS. Could you perhaps list the devices?

alitech
Guide

r7000 connections.png

These are the devices that are currently active.

Message 3 of 13
alitech
Guide

I can find the QAS settings but its only applicable to wifi.

Message 4 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

But that screengrab only shows devices directly connected to the router LAN ports, it doesn’t show the other ten or so wired devices that you mentioned? Also I was after information on what the devices were e.g. a PS4, laptop (10/100), desktop (gigabit), IP camera (10/100) etc.

alitech
Guide

Directly conected to the router, I would say there is a femtocell device (which I think is the 100mb), a gigabit router, a hive internet thermostat device (which i think is 10MB), a powerline adapter which I think is a 100MB but its rated at 500MB which is a bit crap and a gigabit switch. The switch carries the network to another switch and goes into a HP Microserver (1GB), a samsung TV, a tivo box, a sky box, an HTPC, a PS3 and an AV receiver. 

From the powerline, I have a Printer, another TV, a roku box and another Tivo box. 

THats all I can think of, may be missing a few devices. 

This is most distressing really. On a wired network I am getting a max of 11 Megabytes of transfer which would mean 88 megabits. Terrible no?

Message 6 of 13
alitech
Guide

Id really like to know if its something in the settings. 

QOS is disabled for all wired stuff. 

Message 7 of 13
alitech
Guide

I should also add that its pretty much the same when I try to transfer files from my laptop on the AC wifi to a wired computer.. a maximum of 10-11 MB. 

Message 8 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have a gigabit switch connected to a LAN port of the R7000, then any gigabit devices also connected to that switch should certainly be able to achieve gigabit communication rates between each other. In fact in that situation you could simply power off the R7000 and providing devices connected to that gigabit switch retain their IP addresses (as they should) then they should continue to communicate with each other at gigabit rates. Thinking about it a little more, I don’t think QoS is a likely factor.

As I stated above, my LAN have several gigabit switches around my house. I can power off the modem, router, and all access points, and the majority of my LAN will continue to function until devices need to renew their DHCP leases.

Data rates between pairs of devices on my LAN are set by the slowest device of the pair, so for example all computers are gigabit, and that’s the rate that they talk to each other, but each computer will only talk at 100Mbps with any of the IP cameras I have on the LAN.

Is it possible that you have a loop somewhere in your LAN e.g. router – switch – switch – router?

alitech
Guide

Hi

Apologies for the delay in responding. I figured out what the problem was. I changed the switch in between router and devices and that didnt fix the problem. There was a Cat5 cable that was the issue. I changed it to Cat 6 and BAM!! 

All sorted. 

Textbook error I know.. so apologies for putting everyone's heads spinning. I do beleive sometimes that going back to basics is always a good idea and that is really where I should start. 

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 13
dallascowboyswo
Aspirant

Nice to hear that you figured it out for I was following this thread to see your outcome.

Aspirant

I am having this problem as well, all of my devices are connected wirelessly except for one and it's running really slow.

Message 12 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi tadrywall,

Isolate the problem by connecting another device to the router via wired and check if same problem.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements