Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R7000 isn't up to speed on a gigabit connection through CM1000 modem

cdysthe
Virtuoso

Netgear R7000 isn't up to speed on a gigabit connection through CM1000 modem

Hi,

I recently got a Netgear CM1000 modem on my gigabit Xfinity connection. When I hook my laptop up to the modem directly I am getting close to a gigabit connection, at least above 900 Mbps consistently. But when I hook up (ethernet) through my R7000 with fully upgraded stock firmware I'm still just getting around 200 Mbps which is the speed I used to have before my connection was upgraded. What could the reason be for me not getting any speed increase when connecting through the router? As far as I can see the the router should be able to handle the speed.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear R7000 isn't up to speed on a gigabit connection through CM1000 modem

I have figured this out. I have been measuring the speed uing the Netgear UP app on my phone. Turns out the app doesn't measure speed correctly. I kept getting 2 - 300 Mbps. I finally hooked up the old fashioned way to the router and got 950 Mbps! So the problem is the UP app which clearly is buggy as far as speed goes. I will report that problem separately.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

Is QoS turned on? You don't need it at that speed.

Other things that people have tried to fix this issue with various devices:

• Check that you have the latest firmware for your device
  • Try a factory reset, especially if you have new firmware
  • Ensure that the cable from the router to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the right internet settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

That's generic stuff picked up from earlier conversations.

Message 2 of 6
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Hi,

I will go through these procedures. One thing I have noticed though is that Circle parental controls cuts off 100 Mbps of speed, but I can live with that if I otherwise get closer to the gigabit connection speed.

Message 3 of 6
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward wrote:

Is QoS turned on? You don't need it at that speed.

Other things that people have tried to fix this issue with various devices:

• Check that you have the latest firmware for your device
  • Try a factory reset, especially if you have new firmware
  • Ensure that the cable from the router to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the right internet settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

That's generic stuff picked up from earlier conversations.

Thanks,

I have now been able to factory reset the R7000 and test the speed on my gigabit connection. I am only getting around 200 Mbps right after the factory reset. Everything I can disable is turned off. When I hook up to the modem, a Netgear CM1000 I get 950 Mbps, so I am not getting even close to the gigabit speed from my modem. I have tried with different cables including the one that comes with the modem and also different computers. My ISP is Comcast (Xfinity).

Some results:

Speedtest with the UP app after a factory reset.

Speedtest connected to the CM1000

I do not know what to do about this. I am not paying for my gigabit connection and it's delivered from the CM1000 modem, but the R7000 never gets above 300 Mbps regardless of settings and not even right after a factory reset.

Message 4 of 6
cdysthe
Virtuoso

I have figured this out. I have been measuring the speed uing the Netgear UP app on my phone. Turns out the app doesn't measure speed correctly. I kept getting 2 - 300 Mbps. I finally hooked up the old fashioned way to the router and got 950 Mbps! So the problem is the UP app which clearly is buggy as far as speed goes. I will report that problem separately.

Message 5 of 6

That's interesting feedback. It makes it even more important to ask people how they are making these measurements.

There is also a problem with those "gigabit" links. They are just too new for old technology to measure adequately. I have Android apps that don't go anywhere near those speeds on the scale. I realise that wifi will not get those speeds, nut it will get much higher than some of those apps can handle.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7