Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R7000 nighthawk settings for xbox 1 x

duncanc93
Tutor

Netgear R7000 nighthawk settings for xbox 1 x

So im super new to this and i am just trying to figure out the best possible settings for my xbox one x (currently using wifi for now)

Im slowing learning what this QoS is for and port forwarding so bare with me, just want to get the best out of my router to help with gaming

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
duncanc93
Tutor

Well i ended up just factory resetting the router and now im getting around 230-240 mbps on both, latency is around 50-60 which i wish i could get a little lower, i think i might of messed up something in the QoS setup

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 22

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Recommend LAN wired for gaming online if possible. If not, use 5Ghz radio if in fair to close range. 

No Port Fowarding is needed if you have uPnP enabled on the router and using a Reserved IP address for the XB1 set up on the router. 

Set NAT Filter to OPEN if you have more then one game console on the same router. SECURE should work fine for 1 game console. 

Disable IPv6 if your ISP doesn't support this natively. 

Message 2 of 22
duncanc93
Tutor

Okay so im currently using comcast as my ISP, so as far as i know the iPv6 is good to go.

Currently using the 5Ghz

not entirely sure if uPnP is enabled on my router or not, but Ive' heard 

about using a Reserved IP address for the XB1 but not sure of the benefits

Been reading up on this for a couple days now, like, is setting my DNS to the google dns worth it lol i wish i new more about this stuff but im slowly getting there 

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem. 

Modem only or modem combo unit? Modem only is recommended over combo. Combo unit will cause NAT issues with another router connected behind it.

uPnP is found under Advanced/Advanced Settings/uPnP.

You can leave IPv6 enabled then if the ISP is servicing it natively. 

Use what the router gets from your ISP for now. Change DNS later of if needed. 

Besure to set your XB1 to Automatic everything, don't make any changes here. 

Message 4 of 22
XRaptor29
Luminary

With my R7000 I had multiple Xbox Ones on open Nat with just UPNP on. Also left NAT secured. I put the both Xbox's on High priority with QoS.
Message 5 of 22
duncanc93
Tutor

So i was using the router/modem that ISP provided which always kept resetting on me so i switched to a SURFboard SB6141 by Arris and the nighthawk router, which granted its working great but I feel there could be something i could do to optimize it even more.

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

True, however NAT issues will be seen in game status like CoD. Secure causes Port Restricted NAT to be used on the router. OPEN causes FULL CONE NAT. FULL CONE NAT is a work around solution for OPEN NAT on multiple game consoles playing same game on the same router. I have two consoles behind my router. One gets OPEN NAT in game an the other gets Moderate or Strict NAT in game untill I change to OPEN NAT FILTER. 

Gaming with Full Cone vs Symmetric NAT Routers

Message 7 of 22
duncanc93
Tutor

im just using 1 xbox

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

The 6141 is a good modem and using this with the NG router will be good. 

You can set up QoS to allow for highest priority or a High Priority. If you play online games when others are streaming or using the internet, then I would set High Or Medium only. If your the only one online like me at night gaming, then High or Highest will work. You don't want to starve bandwidth if others need some bandwidth. 

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

NAT FILTER set to SECURE will be good for 1 XB1. 

@duncanc93wrote:

im just using 1 xbox

Message 10 of 22
duncanc93
Tutor

Okay cool, i set my mac address of the xbox to "highest" because the only other person is my gf and her phone lol but what ive been reading about changing the dns for higher speeds and port forwarding isnt really necessary?

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

DNS is only for accessing some Internet recources and not directly involved in the gaming performances. Ports and UPload speeds are more important.

You can find other DNS if you feel the need. I prefer to use my ISP DNS as it the best for me. 

Google DNS is an option, however since it seems to be popular, be aware that some could find it more congesting or not as good as other since everyone maybe using there DNS service. 

You can use Googles NameBench to check to see there there are ore optimal DNS addresses to use. Run this with a PC directly connected to the ISP Modem to get best results. I used to do this. Haven't in a while. My ISP is good for me. 

Message 12 of 22
duncanc93
Tutor

Okay ill give that a shot, where would i change the NAT filter?

Is there anything i need to change going to a wired connection? the only reason im doing wifi for now is because i dont want to run a 50ft ethernet cable from downstairs or contact my ISP to move the cable

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Advanced/Setup/WAN Setup

No, you'll need to add another IP address reservation since LAN and WIFI use different MAC addresses. Thats fine too. 

LAN cable can be hard to run. Sometimes I use brass cable hooks to run cable around door jams or under. You'll figure that out. If wifi is working for now then you'll be good. Wired is best though for online gaming, specially team multi player gaming. 

Message 14 of 22
duncanc93
Tutor

Well fantastic, thanks for the help man opened my eyes a little more on this whole internet thing 

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Post back if you need any more help or info. Good stuff out there as well. 

You'll be good. Enjoy. 

Message 16 of 22
duncanc93
Tutor

Well I tried temporarely moving my setup so I can have a direct connection to my xbox form the router but for some reason im getting around 12 Mbps wired, and around 190 Mbps using Wireless 5Ghz... and latency is around 60 on both which I beleive is normal.

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be same wired...sure wire is of good quality? CAT6 is recommended.

Make sure you set up QoS priorities for the LAN cable connection. 

Message 18 of 22
duncanc93
Tutor

Well i ended up just factory resetting the router and now im getting around 230-240 mbps on both, latency is around 50-60 which i wish i could get a little lower, i think i might of messed up something in the QoS setup

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I presumed it may have been a mis configuration. You'll be fine on wired. 

Message 20 of 22
XRaptor29
Luminary

I just replaced my R7000 with a XR500 because it kept dogging the wifi down after a few days even on the latest firmware, Wired was perfectly fine though. Rebooting the router would fix it temporarily.

Now my issues are gone with the XR500.
Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

@XRaptor29wrote:
I just replaced my R7000 with a XR500 because it kept dogging the wifi down after a few days even on the latest firmware, Wired was perfectly fine though. Rebooting the router would fix it temporarily.

Now my issues are gone with the XR500.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7