Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R7000 not wokring in AP mode.

Lukaka
Tutor

Netgear R7000 not wokring in AP mode.

I have a nighthawk R7000 that I would like to use as an ethernet switch on my desk, as well as use the NAS server capabilities with a usb 3.0 drive.

Hypothetically, I should be able to set it to AP mode and it would just... work. However it does not.

No matter what settings I choose, the router does the following:

- The router gives no internet connection to wired connected devices.

- The router broadcasts the default ssids that came with the router instead of the ones I set

- The router refuses allowing me to connect to it's interface to troubleshoot.

- The router does not show up on the host router's connection list (a fios router).

This has also happened to me on a couple of other netgear routers when trying to set up the AP mode for other people.

Any way I can turn my router into a simple plug and play internet switch would be fine, however AP mode seems to be the only one. I really dont want to throw such a good router away but I will if it wont work for this.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Lukaka
Tutor

The correct model is R7000 Nighthawk AC1900. I ended up switching to TomatoUSB firmware as Netgear firmware just doesnt seem to work reliably for APs. It means my WAN port goes unused, but at least it works now. Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I have a nighthawk R7000 [...]

> Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router

Which is it?  Firmware version?  Connected to what?  (Hint: If a
device has multiple Ethernet ports, then "connected to device" is not
enough detail.)

> No matter what settings I choose, [...]

Think, for a moment, about how little useful information that
non-description conveys to the non-psychics in your audience.

> - The router gives no internet connection to wired connected devices.

Through what would it do that?

> - The router broadcasts the default ssids that came with the router
> instead of the ones I set

Where, exactly, how, exactly, did you set "the ones I set"?  Were you
talking to some other device (your (unspecified) router), or to the
R7000[P?]-as-WAP?

> - The router refuses allowing me to connect to it's interface to
> troubleshoot.

"connect" from where?  When you do what, exactly?

"refuses" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

When you configure a router as a wireless access point, it gets a new
LAN IP address (typically, a dynamic address from the (DHCP server on
the) main router).  It may still intercept with names like
"routerlogin.net", _if_ your client device is connected to the
router-as-WAP, but not from everywhere else on your LAN.

> - The router does not show up on the host router's connection list (a
> fios router).

It probably should.  Does your (unspecified) "a fios router" have a
maker and model number?

> [...] AP mode seems to be the only one. [...]

I'd expect it to work, but I can't see what you're doing, or what
happens when you do it.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "Use the
Router as a Wireless Access Point".  Is that consistent with what you
did, or did you get creative?

Message 2 of 5
Lukaka
Tutor

Deatails about router

Firmware: 10.9.88

> which is it?

I thought R7000 was the model number, do you want AC1900 which is also on the router? There was not option under "model" for just the R7000, I had to choose the R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router.

Other Questions

> connected to what?

Connected to my fios router (which works). I connected the WAN port on my netgear router to an open ethernet port on my fios router (I tested said port to make sure it gave internet to a device properly). I also tried using a regular port on my netgear router even though I'm not using bridge mode, just in case, but no luck.

As far as "no matter what options I choose", let me list a few:

- Selecting AP mode, set to get IP address dynamically from router, using the SSIDs which I set the only way you can set them, which is in the wireless network settings (there is a button in the AP mode menu which redirects to the same place).

- Selecting AP mode and setting the IP address manually. However this option, if I remember correctly, doesn't actually work, which is why Netgear puts "not recommended" on the option. Either way, this makes no difference.

Once I hit apply and the router restarts:

- I tried setting the SSIDs to all sorts of things, even though I plan to disable wireless anyways and just use it as a switch and NAS server.

- When I have my computer connected to one of the numbered ethernet ports, there is no internet connection. I cannot connect to the router. The router also broadcasts the default SSIDS, something like Netgear623 or such.

> (responding to "it gives no internet connection") through what would it do that?

I don't understand what you mean, the idea behind an access point is that it provides a connection to an existing network as an access point. So, through an access point? Through the fios router?

> connect from where?

the 192.168.1.1 interface

the routerlogin.net interface

the routerlogin.net/again interface

the routerlogin.com interface

the 192.168.0.1 interface

the 10.0.0.1 interface

no response from any of the websites.

I tried pinging the router from nmap is Windows bash, no reply.

And yes I am 100% sure it is not on my fios router.

I also employ you to check your tone, this is a place where people go to get support, not to be yelled at. While you may know more about this than other people, that is why they are coming here. I may not have given you all the information you are expecting, but something is not working. I'm not just setting something up wrong. This is a documented error that I'm wondering if anyone has found a workaround for, and that is what I was trying to communicate with you. I have set up many systems for people, I work in IT, so I know what I am doing. It is common knowledge that netgear releases half baked firmware and doesn't finish things. I've followed the instructions very clearly (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf page 135) and it simply does nothing. It becomes a light up brick.

as far as LDEs:

The power light is orange, the internet light is white, the 2.4 and 5 ghz lights are white, the wifi light is white, and whichever port I plug my computer into has its accompanying light flashing.

Message 3 of 5

@Lukaka wrote:

as far as LDEs:

The power light is orange, the internet light is white, the 2.4 and 5 ghz lights are white, the wifi light is white, and whichever port I plug my computer into has its accompanying light flashing.

The orange power light is telling you that the firmware on your router is broken. Or the power supply is playing up.

Then again, if the firmware is broken you shouldn't be able to get into the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

Look at the label on the thing for the correct model number.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Look at the bit about troubleshooting and LEDs. Then, if a factory reset does not change the state of the LED,  prepare yourself for the travails of TFTP:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 5
Lukaka
Tutor

The correct model is R7000 Nighthawk AC1900. I ended up switching to TomatoUSB firmware as Netgear firmware just doesnt seem to work reliably for APs. It means my WAN port goes unused, but at least it works now. Thanks for your help.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7