Re: Netgear R7000 not working as repeater

ebme
Aspirant

Netgear R7000 not working as repeater

I am having issues with two new R7000s setting up for Repeater mode. Both are up to date on firmware. I have another R7000 currently being used as the base repeater in the main house to an R6300 as the repeater in a guest house and that set up has been working OK. I tried adding one of the new R7000 for another guest house to the R7000 base, same set up as the R6300 but it would not connect or would lose connection completely, wireless and LAN. It would require resetting to connect to it. After several attempts carefully checking my setup and having someone else verify that all was the same as the working system I tried the other new R7000 but the same problem. I also tried a couple of different computers for setup just incase (?). I could continue to access the base R7000 but not the repeater R7000 after setting as a repeater. Yes, all MACs and IPs were set correctly, all check and un-check boxes done, Channels set the same (using 11 on other base/repeater that is fine as the main network does not) but tried others as well. Sometimes after setting as repeater I could access for a couple of minutes before the repeater would disconnect and the computer would say "you are not connected to a network". Sometimes after a reboot the same thing. After a few days of studying this I decided to try again with fresh eyes. After several tries and failures the connection lasted for more than a brief period, so I set it up at guest house two and began testing with computer and another person on a pad. after 15 minutes to a half hour I thought what is different ? Then "you are not connected to a network". Several more attempts, same problem. Tried just connecting the two R7000s, one as base and other as repeater. Tried swapping base and repeater but same problem as with other setup, the repeater would lose connection and require reset to even access it. Yes trying to access with its new IP that would work for a couple of minutes sometimes before disconnect. Tried at a different location and network. Same thing. Both seem to work fine as routers. HELP! TIA

Message 1 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi ebme,

How far is the 2nd R7000 repeater from the main router?

Make sure the location has a good signal strength for it to have a stable connection. 50% and up signal strength.

Message 2 of 11
ebme
Aspirant

Distance is not a factor as I have tried next to the base, a few feet away and at a distance. Netgear support NOW tells me that the repeater mode has been removed and I must buy a different model ???

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 11
ebme
Aspirant

I sent Netgear Support screenshots showing I had the latest firmware updates and showing that the R7000s still had Repeater set up pages. Now Netgear Support (???) sends me a link to the R7000 manual and lists the pages for setting up as a Repeater. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THAT ! Duhh ! Of course I have the manual. Netgear tells me the R7000 no longer supports Repeater mode then infers I am setting it up wrong ? Which is it ? I am through with Netgear "support". And have gone another way for this project. But can anyone in the "community" tell me does the R7000 work in Repeater mode with the latest firmware ?

Message 4 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi ebme,

Wireless repeating is still available in the latest firmware.

Message 5 of 11
ebme
Aspirant

... but it does not work ... no answers ...
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 11
William10a
Master

If you could get a wired lan cable to the other location either by a lan cable or a power lan adaptor you could use the second r7000 as access point which may work for you just a idea.

Message 7 of 11
ebme
Aspirant

Thanks, but already went with Ubiqiuti antennae and they are working great. Needed wireless from main house to three guest houses across paved driveways and stone walls. Digging would be a mess and overhead is unacceptable. Replaced the Netgear repeater pair had had been working for some time before also as the Ubiquiti work much better.
Message 8 of 11

Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 works as repeater ?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 9 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi available4only,

Only the following models supports wireless repeating.

https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-configure-my-Nighthawk-router-as-a-wireless-repeater

Message 10 of 11

Thank you !

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E