Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R7000P - The routers with features you had to disable to make it work

joejoeinc
Apprentice

Netgear R7000P - The routers with features you had to disable to make it work

Oh Netgear, let me count the ways your 7000P router sucks. I really wanted this to be good router but overall it's left a bad taste meaning my next router most likely won't be anything netgear.

- MIMO doesn't work and causes the network to crash. This is well documented these forums and was never fixed. 
- Attached devices never shows the right amount of devices.. you once fixed this an then broke it again in the next update.
- You show ads for paid services everytime you login to the router with no way to disable the ads
- You can't chang the DHCP range without having to solve a whole WAN IP conflict issue everytime.
- Changing the DNS server on the router requires a reboot
- Reserving an IP doesn't mean a clien will get that IP for a very long time (or the router until the router is rebooted)
- Almost every change in the router requires a reboot.
- Disabling things in the 'Include in Log' page simply doesn't work
- NTP time zone always resets to GMT12 for some reason.

It's not all bad though, at least the WIFI was fast when it worked.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: Netgear R7000P - The routers with features you had to disable to make it work

@joejoeinc wrote:

- You show ads for paid services everytime you login to the router with no way to disable the ads

I don't see that. So it isn't hard wired into the thing.

Pin down why that happens, fix it and maybe some of the other things will also go away.

Several other things on your list also don't happen here.

Which firmware version are you on?

Message 2 of 8
joejoeinc
Apprentice

Re: Netgear R7000P - The routers with features you had to disable to make it work

V1.3.3.142_10.1.75

Message 3 of 8

@joejoeinc wrote:

V1.3.3.142_10.1.75

That firmware does not show any pop-up ads here.

How are you getting into the R7000P? An app or the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

There have been reports of new versions of the Nighthawk app doing this. Again, I don't see this on the R7000P and the latest Android app.

I also don't see the need to reboot when I make changes. But that may be because I don't do much tweaking in my R7000P.

Message 4 of 8
joejoeinc
Apprentice

Im talking about the circle prompt everytime you open the web interface. 

Circle.jpg

But.. this is all probably too late now. My new ASUS router just turned up, I can  give this r7000P to someone else who will put up with how crappy this router is. 

Message 5 of 8

Got it.

New firmware went out three days ago.

R7000P Firmware Version 1.3.3.148 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

142 was always a hotfix. It has turned into a dead parrot. Maybe they mended stuff.

Message 6 of 8
joejoeinc
Apprentice

I doubt this new frimware will have any feature improvements. It's more likely just to patch  security holes in the older version of UNIX they use to run these routers. 

Message 7 of 8
joejoeinc
Apprentice

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7