Netgear R7500 Nighthawk X4 compatible with xfinity XB6 gateway modem router

dl7500ac
Follower

Netgear R7500 Nighthawk X4 compatible with xfinity XB6 gateway modem router

Xfinity offers Gigabit Ethernet download speed range approx - 600-750/Mbps, 35 Mbps - upload speed.  My understanding is 802.11ac wi-fi Network Cards (Wi-Fi) certified.. NOT (draft) is required to ensure compatible and supprted 802.11ac speeds to home network devices (laptops, Gaming PC etc..) are 802.11ac compliant.

My question is do  i need a NetGear r7500 NightHawk x4 router, since the xfinity XB6 is both a modem / router with 802.11ac wi-fi? 

My gaming PC is using the ASUS PCE-AC68 adapter. The Ookla speed test gets 400Mbps download, 35-39 Mbps upload which is better, but not near the Gigabit ethernet speed xfinity claims.   

I'm trying to work with Xfinfity support to find out where the bottle-neck is?  

Does not make since to pay for bandwidth that does not deliver the Gigabit speed advertised.  

Thanks D.

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear R7500 Nighthawk X4 compatible with xfinity XB6 gateway modem router

Have you tested the speed via ethernet cable?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
myersw
Master

Re: Netgear R7500 Nighthawk X4 compatible with xfinity XB6 gateway modem router

@dl7500ac wrote:

Xfinity offers Gigabit Ethernet download speed range approx - 600-750/Mbps, 35 Mbps - upload speed.  My understanding is 802.11ac wi-fi Network Cards (Wi-Fi) certified.. NOT (draft) is required to ensure compatible and supprted 802.11ac speeds to home network devices (laptops, Gaming PC etc..) are 802.11ac compliant.

My question is do  i need a NetGear r7500 NightHawk x4 router, since the xfinity XB6 is both a modem / router with 802.11ac wi-fi? 

My gaming PC is using the ASUS PCE-AC68 adapter. The Ookla speed test gets 400Mbps download, 35-39 Mbps upload which is better, but not near the Gigabit ethernet speed xfinity claims.   

I'm trying to work with Xfinfity support to find out where the bottle-neck is?  

Does not make since to pay for bandwidth that does not deliver the Gigabit speed advertised.  

Thanks D.

No you do not need the r7500. You could use just what is provided by the ISP modem/router with wifi. You have two solutions. Set the ISP modem/router to bridge mode and then use the r500 as your router and wireless solution. Other option is to leave the ISP solution as is and configure the r7500 as an AP. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements