Netgear R7800 drop internet connection

popijohn
Follower

Netgear R7800 drop internet connection

My R7800 is running firmware .60 and periodicly dropps wifi connection. I don't want to revert back to an older firmware with the security issues that were present. The router is only 10 months old. I had to reset everything a few weeks ago due to it loosing wired and wifi connections.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6
pec967
Luminary

Re: Netgear R7800 drop internet connection

There are many reports on this forum of dropped Wi-Fi connections and high ping times with firmware versions .58 and .60. You might try turning off SmartConnect, which is on by default in .60, and see if that helps.

My advice is to drop back to .52, use the reset button to restore to factory default, and reconfigure R7800 manually. Other than missing some security patches, QoS problems, and UI issues with changing device names, .52 is stable and works well.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6

@pec967 wrote:

There are many reports on this forum of dropped Wi-Fi connections ....

Here's one.

Re: Netgear R7800 Problem with new Firmware 1.0.2.... - NETGEAR Communities

With light at the end of the tunnel.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6
myersw
Master

My advice is to drop back to .52, use the reset button to restore to factory default, and reconfigure R7800 manually. Other than missing some security patches, QoS problems, and UI issues with changing device names, .52 is stable and works well.

Gee. What a wonderful world we live in with Netgear. Lets drop back, because of issues with current, to previous release that has QoS, Security patches missing, and  UI device name issues. WHAT a fix!

Netgear firmware is CRAP and has been for months now. Sell and move on IMHO. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 6
RMinNJ
Luminary

As I waited for them to find the problem on my case i did look at some other routers and forums..  If I want to leave NetGear what should I get?  7800 present works good for my house with coverage and speed.   Asus seems to have FW issues.. well maybe their latest.   Linksys hasn't updated their firmware in a year.  Maybe an Ubiquiti Edgerouter and some access points that got good reviews?  

Anyway I'm hoping they release a new 7800 firmware soon now that they found the problem.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6

@RMinNJ wrote:

Asus seems to have FW issues.. well maybe their latest.   Linksys hasn't updated their firmware in a year.  

This is not surprising when you realise that  most routers are based on a handful of chips from the likes of Broadcom.

There was an interesting demonstration of that this time last year, when Google unleashed the "Chromecast flood" on us all. There was a flurry or reports here of 2.4 GHz wifi  grinding to a halt. It turned out that Google had put out an update to Chromecast and Android that brought wifi chips to their knees.

Of course, the usual suspects rushed to blame Netgear. But there were similar tales of woe over on other router support sites, not that many are as active as this one.

After a week or so, the finger pointed at Google. Next it was the turn of the chipset makes to hold up their hands and admit that their firmware did not handle the Chromecast bug as well as it might.

In the end Google had to patch its products, while the chipmakers came up with firmware tweaks that router makers could implement. It took something like a  month for sani8ty to return.

Anyway I'm hoping they release a new 7800 firmware soon now that they found the problem.

The R7800 is the "go to" router for people who want something solid that does not have the bells and whistles of more expensive models. Yes, it has had problems, but because it is effectively a "flagship" product for Netgear, along with the R7000, it seems to get more immediate support attention than other Nighthawk devices. (It is also the "engine" in some of th gaming routers.) For really active support, consider Orbi, but that is a seriously "dumbed down" line that is intended for consumers who want something simple to set up and use.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements