Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R8000 NightHawk speed test

K15hen
Aspirant

Netgear R8000 NightHawk speed test

Hi,

If I do a speed test using the Netgear's dashboard for the router, I get a download speed of circa 74mbps.

If i seperately (on the same pc) do a speed test on another tab in the same browser I get between 40 and 50 mpbs.

I've bought new cables, reset the modem, router and network adapters.

latest firmware on all devices and using a windows 10 pc (tried it on ipads, macbook pro etc); same result.

Any ideas what I can do to get the same speed?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

This is probably the problem, "The firmware on the x6 r8000 is V1.0.4.46_10.1.63"

Go back to V1.0.4.28 as a test if nothing else. That one was just released and there are various reports of wifi problems. In that release Netgear in its infinite wisdom it removed some features used by some, like Time Machine support, TIVO support, and even the DLNA Server.  To make up for it, they added an extra cost feature, Armour (probably as a money stream).

If it does fix the problem, be sure to TURN OFF AUTO-UPDATE in the GUI otherwise it will automatically install the latest.

NG's track record on all routers of f/w updates is miserable. More problems created than fixed. Removing features people purchased a router for is not good if they expect to keep present customer's nor get recommendations for new customers.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@K15hen wrote:

Hi,

If I do a speed test using the Netgear's dashboard for the router, I get a download speed of circa 74mbps.

If i seperately (on the same pc) do a speed test on another tab in the same browser I get between 40 and 50 mpbs.

I've bought new cables, reset the modem, router and network adapters.

latest firmware on all devices and using a windows 10 pc (tried it on ipads, macbook pro etc); same result.

Any ideas what I can do to get the same speed?

Well, you can start telling us the F/W installed? V1.0.4.28 or .44, that could make a difference.

"If I do a speed test using the Netgear's dashboard for the router, I get a download speed of circa 74mbps."

So what was this on? Device and what are you calling the 'dashboard'? Using a wired connection and a browser to log into the router, if so, what page are you talking about (screen capture might help)?

Wireless? Again, device and app used (should be the Nighthawk mobile app)?

"If i seperately (on the same pc) do a speed test on another tab in the same browser I get between 40 and 50 mpbs."

Might depend on site you went to? Still, is this wired or wireless? Device info please?

R8000 has 3 SSID bands and Guest for those bands as well. Which do you use?

Is QoS or Traffic Meter enabled?

Are you using Smart Connect?

Anything else that you modified?

Message 2 of 4
K15hen
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

The firmware on the x6 r8000 is V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

I am getting the same issue on wi-fi.

The tests I have done is directly connect my laptop via RJ45 to the router (tried modem too)

Is QoS or Traffic Meter enabled?  No

Are you using Smart Connect? No

using https://www.speedtest.net/ to test

hope that helps

Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

This is probably the problem, "The firmware on the x6 r8000 is V1.0.4.46_10.1.63"

Go back to V1.0.4.28 as a test if nothing else. That one was just released and there are various reports of wifi problems. In that release Netgear in its infinite wisdom it removed some features used by some, like Time Machine support, TIVO support, and even the DLNA Server.  To make up for it, they added an extra cost feature, Armour (probably as a money stream).

If it does fix the problem, be sure to TURN OFF AUTO-UPDATE in the GUI otherwise it will automatically install the latest.

NG's track record on all routers of f/w updates is miserable. More problems created than fixed. Removing features people purchased a router for is not good if they expect to keep present customer's nor get recommendations for new customers.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7