Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R9000 - poor performance wired and wi-fi

Netgear R9000 - poor performance wired and wi-fi

Hi there, hope everybody is doing fine ...

I bought a NetGear R9000 AD7200 router 6 months ago, and until 10 days ago, everything was awesome. Suddenly, I noticed that I'm not getting more than 90MB/s of speed on both wired and wi-fi connections on any devices (notebooks, cellphones and tablets.

My carrier deliviers 400MB bandwith, using speedtest, I use to get 600MB when cable connected.

My firmware version is : 1.05.36

To check if the problem could be from the carrier side, I tested using a PPoE connection right from my notebook, and I'm really receiving full bandwith (400 MB).

I already tested several options, and it's relly clear to me that the issue is on the router.  

Any help will be appreciated

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear R9000 - poor performance wired and wi-fi

Hi guys ... thanks a lot for the attetion. Today a received a technical guy from my carrier, and after some tests, he changed cable connector ... yes, just changed the connector, and everything is perfect again.

I couldn't believe, but that's the fact. The issue was phisical. 

Thanks a lot for all the support and feedback here

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things I'd try.

1. the 90 mbps seems to indicate that your port speeds dropped from gigabit to 10/100mbps connection. You can check/confirm it with this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

that'll who you the wan port connections link

If its only 100mbps, then I'd start with replacing the cable. Try a cat 6 or better cable. I know cat 5e is gigabit rated but I've seen sketchy cables cause the drops to 10/100mbps. 

Message 2 of 11

Thank you for the feedbacl. I checked the statistics, and looks like the wired connection is 1000M as expected, but I'm getting the same behaviour on Wi-Fi too, it's really strange.

regards,

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

what modem are you connecting to? 

Did you try a simple factory reset? 

Message 4 of 11

Hi there,

Yes, I did a full reset last sunday, but nothing changed, still getting the same results.

I'm not connected to any modem, I configured a PPoE connecttion on Netgear interface.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your ISP required a PPPoE connection or can it be DHCP? 

Try this, downgraded to first version of FW that was released for the R9000. Manually load  the FW using a wired PC and web browser. After the uddate, factory rest and setup from scratch. Do not setup Armor, Access Controls or Traffic Meter. Soon as the Setup wizard completes, run a speed test. 

You can also try Voxels 3rd party FW for the R9000 as well and see if this changes anything, if not, there maybe an issue at the R9000 and your ISP service. You might try the router at a different location, friend or families place to see if the problem follows...

Message 6 of 11

Good tip, thank you very much. the funny thing, is that, until 8 days ago, everything was fine. I did not change anything from my side.

I just suddenly started to nitice bad performance, and start investigating.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Possibly something on the ISP side could have changed as well...

Message 8 of 11

Hi guys ... thanks a lot for the attetion. Today a received a technical guy from my carrier, and after some tests, he changed cable connector ... yes, just changed the connector, and everything is perfect again.

I couldn't believe, but that's the fact. The issue was phisical. 

Thanks a lot for all the support and feedback here

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad it fixed the issue!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that was all. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Enjoy.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7