Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Router R6400v2 super slow!

twoolley001
Aspirant

Netgear Router R6400v2 super slow!

Hi there! My R6400v2 router was working just fine until about a week ago. When I run the speed test on the Nighthawk app it says I'm getting 253 mbps download, 25 upload and 11.71 ms ping, which is what I was getting before! But when I run a speed test on my laptop, phones, etc I am only getting about 10-13 mbps. 

Is there anything I can do to get higer speeds to reach my devices? It's definitely not a modem issue since the router is getting great connection to it. I have a lot of video calls at work so this has been quite frustrating. Thank you in advance!

Firmware version V1.0.4.102_10.0.75

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Router R6400v2 super slow!

Is your laptop connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

2.4ghz is much much slower and suffers from interference. 

Message 2 of 8
twoolley001
Aspirant

Ive connected it to both. I’m on the other side of the home and 5 ghz works better when close up, but in my office it gets like 2 mbps. I get about 100 mbps on my phone with 5 ghz but it’s still so much slower. Do you think it’s just interference?
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

"on the other side of the house"

how far is it? the further away you are, the slower it'll be. 

How big is the home (sq ft)

as well as what materials is your home made of? certain materials block wifi better than others? 

Message 4 of 8
twoolley001
Aspirant

The home is 2250 sq ft. it's exactly on the opposite side of the home. Materials are pretty standard. it's a brand new build. i also hooked up the Cat 6 ethernet cables to my laptop from the router and it's only getting like 60 mbps which surprised me as we should be getting like 400 mbps.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

1. what modem/gateway is it connected to?

2. What speeds do you get directly connected to the gateway?

3. If you have 400mbps service, make sure qos, traffic monitoring, parental controls, and access control is disabled. If they were ever enabled, try factory resetting the router and doing a clean install (not from backup). those services can slow that router down if you have speeds >250mbps. 

Message 6 of 8
chemanuel
Aspirant

I am having the same problem! Lot of users are having the same issue. I haven't changed anything.  I get about 452 mbs with my connection directly to my computer. If I connect me to the router, I get  between 13mbs to 40mbs. All the connections are the same. I upgraded the firmware even though it was fast without it before. The PC's are the same...

My PC is connected directly to the router with a cable. The router also connected to the Comcast modem with a cable.

I have reset it in the back, no  change at all. I am now connected with a cable direct to my PC, otherwise I can't do a lot of things...

Terrible... This is my last Netgear router!

Message 7 of 8
wmheid
Aspirant

If definitely has something to do with Video Streaming.  I have a regular Monday morning reboot that I do on the way to the Coffee Pot.  If I add in training videos or watch Roku along with the plethora of call's that I am on during the week, I sometimes have to reboot 2-3 times in a week.

I've done the drill as well with Firmware, different Wifi channels, laptops, etc.  The one constant is the Netgear Router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7