Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Routers WiFi Constantly lagging or dropping - may also be other MU-MIMO routers

janilpebo
Follower

Netgear Routers WiFi Constantly lagging or dropping - may also be other MU-MIMO routers

For anyone looking for the solution to their new net gear nighthawk router not working properly when an older router did.

FYI- My Router is Netgear Nighthawk R700P - AC2300, my modem is Netgear Nighthawk CM1200.

Login to your router - Go to advanced settings at the bottom, advanced wifi. Disable MU-MIMO. It should just be a checkbox and update. You do not need to backdate the firmware. You don't need to buy a new modem. You don't need to go through thousands of other steps. This will fix it right away.

Now i do suggest you move channels for your 2.5g and 5g if you live in an apartment or close community, but this will fix your lag spikes and internet drops.

I was getting random lag spikes while in games, and the internet would drop every couple of hours. I disabled this option and it works.

Before anyone says that's a step backwards, its completely fine. In house built in 1981 my router is upstairs and I am down. I still receive 450-550 mbps down and about 20 up. This is while my kids play tablets and my wife streams and a console all going at once. 14+ things connected. Have not had any drops in a few weeks.

If you are afraid read into what MU-MIMO does and why its not very rewarding for most home networks.

Thank me later. This is the solution.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7