Netgear X10 DDNS Broken for NETGEAR Provider

DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Netgear X10 DDNS Broken for NETGEAR Provider

I have to admit, my firs 12 hours with this very expensive, flagship product from Netgear has been a big basket of frustration. Aside from the Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade issue with management of the router previously posted, there's a significant issue with the "NETGEAR" Dynamic DNS feature.

The router includes free service through an agreement with No-IP.com, but you apparently can't use it through the "NETGEAR" selection for DDNS services. Configuring an account through the "Advanced Setup/Dynamic DNS" menu never generates the required activation email (you have to go to the "To Manage your DDNS Account" link and manually request that the activation link be sent). And of course once that's done, the router refuses to save your configuration and actually use the service, with the singularly unhelpful error message:

"Unable to complete the job, reason:"

That's right. No reason. HOWEVER ... if you select No-IP.com as the DDNS provider and enter the full hostname ([routername].mynetgear.com), user id and password you created for the mynetgear.com account, it appears to connect and update its DDNS entry properly.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I really want to like this router, but it's fighting me every step of the way.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
wigglemonster
Aspirant

Re: Netgear X10 DDNS Broken for NETGEAR Provider

Same process worked for my router as well.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 11
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Do you have an R9000 (shows R7000 below your post), or are we talking about a problem that exists across multiple routers?

Message 3 of 11
wigglemonster
Aspirant

I have the R7000.  It appears to be a software issue indipendant of the hardware.  I assume that our devices are using very similar firmware... 

Message 4 of 11
msimms
Aspirant

My experience is similar to yours (R7800).  I did get a registration email sent to me which I activated via the included link but the process eventually failed with the "Unable to complete the job, reason:" message.  I created an additional name within No-IP and selected the NO-IP option under the DDNS settings.  Using this option I get an update in the log and on NO-IP and all appears good.......

..........However, the router does not update on address change :-(

No log event showing an attempt or failure of anything DDNS related.  I can force a change by selecting the NETGEAR option and waiting for it to fail before reverting back to the NO-IP selection.  This results in a successful update.

Does anybody see an update message for DDNS in their logs?

BT seem to update my assigned IP address regulary so it is a real pain.

My present workaround, which is far from satisfactory, is to log on remotely using Genie, checking the IP address and updating No-IP.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 5 of 11
DrFix82
Aspirant

Same problem here, just bought a D6400, went for configuring DDNS, registered on the noip site.

When it goes updating the ip I get  "Unable to locate hostname in your account".

Doing the suggestion above (setting noip as provider instead of NETGEAR etc.) provides a succesful update, but then the IP is not updated anymore!

Is anybody at NETGEAR aware of this and looking to fix the issue??

Message 6 of 11
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Here's the response I got from Netgear 2 days ago, regarding the router's failure to periodically update the DDNS record at No-IP.com.

From Netgear Tier 2 Support:

"I have encountered another case which seems to be having the same issue we have with the DDNS. Although, the customer is using another model of router, it shows the symptom as what you encountered. I am going to communicate to the engineers regarding this as this may require a firmware update to fix.

I'll get back to you once I have additional information for you. Please standby."

Message 7 of 11
msimms
Aspirant

I have raised a ticket with Netgear but it's not moving anywhere fast!  Below is the last response:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello, Mark,

This might be another issue with the firmware. We can probably do a replacement or have this escalated to our engineers to further check on this.

It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Regards,

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Not clear what is meant by the response!!

I suggest you raise a support incident with them too. 

Message 8 of 11
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

I do have a ticket open with Tier 2 support. They're Johnny-on-the-spot in responding when you leave a less-than-glowing review on Amazon. Unfortunately, the issues I had straight out of the box are still present, although one of them apparently isn't Netgear's fault.
Message 9 of 11
smf723
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with my R7000. It works when I first configure the Netgear DNS but it never updates No-Ip again. For those that have open tickets please let us know when you hear back from Netgear.

Message 10 of 11
msimms
Aspirant

In the end I returned mine and replaced it with a TP-Link Archer VR2600 which so far works perfectly out of the box on DDNS.  DDNS not working wasn't the only bug, multicast for BT HD channels was flakey, there was a general degradation of performance after a few days running which required a reboot to resolve.  There was something else too but I can't recall it of the top of my head.  It's a shame as I wanted to like the Netgear product as I use a lot of their kit (commercial grade) at work where they perform very well.  If you have the option to return it I can recommend the VR2600 which I can't really fault.  It's also (in my opinion) a better looking bit of kit if its going to be on show.  Hope you get a resolution soon.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements