Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear X6 R8000 - Wifi Devices connection dropping

HT32
Follower

Netgear X6 R8000 - Wifi Devices connection dropping

Evening everyone.

I am facing an issue with my Netgear R8000 - Firmware V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 (This was updated last weekend).  For some unknown reason, all my devices connected by wifi on either 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and 5Ghz2 are dropping and unable to reconnect or the devices are connected but stuck loading a page.  I have tried to reboot through the router via webpage and manually but this did not resolve anything.  Only after a couple hours the devices all started to reconnect with no explanation.  

The devices range from Gaming Consoles (PS4, Switch, Xbox), Apple Devices and Smart TVs.  The issue has only recently presented itself and there was always about 15 devices connected at one time. 

The devices which are connected by ethernet are running perfectly fine with no interupption.  The only recent addition was connecting a VOIP Phone brought home from the office due to working from home but this is ethernet connected and like other wired devices is not impacted.  Originally, I believe it to be the cause but the provider of the phone has checked in and noted that their phone is working fine and those other members of my team have their phones working as well. 

I shall be grateful if someone can please come back to me with an update as I am unable to resolve this.

I have been persuaded by friends and to purchase a new router (Conveniently the Netgear Nighthawk AX6000 TriBand) but before I make any financial commitment, I want to see if this issue can be resolved.

Thank you. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Re: Netgear X6 R8000 - Wifi Devices connection dropping

@HT32 wrote:

I am facing an issue with my Netgear R8000 - Firmware V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 (This was updated last weekend).  For some unknown reason, all my devices connected by wifi on either 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and 5Ghz2 are dropping and unable to reconnect or the devices are connected but stuck loading a page.  

Did the behaviour start with the new firmware?

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

If all else fails you can roll back to earlier firmware to see if that helps.

@HT32 wrote:

I have been persuaded by friends and to purchase a new router (Conveniently the Netgear Nighthawk AX6000 TriBand) but before I make any financial commitment, I want to see if this issue can be resolved.

I wouldn't. But I am mean and don't like wasting money.

AX6000 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

If I were you I would see what people here say about whatever it is that you have on order. Those AX devices have caused a lot of grief for minimal gains.

The most popular and reliable router among the cognoscenti seems to be the R7800.

Message 2 of 9
Printallday
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue with the version update. All my Wi-Fi devices are not connecting. I have to switch the Wi-Fi security method from WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK. Don't ask me why that works, but when i switch the method and its updates, then my devices are connected to the internet. It's a temporary fix, but every time I have to do this. 

Message 3 of 9
WalkerUK
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanation of needing to do a factory reset.  I'm also having this issue and will see if that works.  (Same firmware causing me problems since it updated).  I usually back settings up and am kicking myself for neglecting to do it this time 😞

Message 4 of 9

@WalkerUK wrote:

I usually back settings up and am kicking myself for neglecting to do it this time 😞

That's not always a good idea. If you restore settings after some resets all you do is to resurrect bugs that the new firmware introduced.

Message 5 of 9
WalkerUK
Aspirant

I mean I would normally have backed up before any change and if there were issues I could restore back to a last known good point to confirm where the issue was

I didn't this time and am being stung as being unsure where the issue is 

Message 6 of 9
vaiv777
Aspirant

I am also having the same issue of connection dropout or block after firmware upgrade R8000-V1.0.4.68_10.1.75.

As per sugesstions tried factory reset after upgrade but still same issue. When it works it works but seeing connectivity issues more often now even at 100% signal at - 67 dBm.

Any other suggestion to try out before giving up on this modem which lasted me for past 5 years.

Message 7 of 9

@vaiv777 wrote:

Any other suggestion to try out before giving up on this modem which lasted me for past 5 years.

If you have the R8000 it is a router, not a modem.

But telling people what the modem really is might offer some clues.

@vaiv777 wrote:

...but seeing connectivity issues more often now even at 100% signal at - 67 dBm.

That's a bit vague. What are these "connectivity issues"?

Message 8 of 9
David501
Guide

I have had the exact same problem with the latest Fimware (V1.0.4.68_10.1.75) and have reverted back to the last 5 Firmware updates with the same problem.

I have finally found that R8000-V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 is the Firmware that works for me and is completely stable.

It has been frustrating reloading the older Firmwares on each occassion and not sure if the problem is on NetGear's side or my older 2012 computer - Lenovo T410.

You could do what I did and download the past Firmwares from the NetGear download site for the NightHawk R8000 X6 AC3200 and get to a stable verion that suites your computer as I did but I have found V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 to work for me.

Best of luck - very frustrating!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7