Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear is/are thieves

NGJunk
Initiate

Netgear is/are thieves

4th Netgear router and the last I will ever buy. The first two, I was young and naive and listened to others about how great your products were. They are junk. Last two I have fought and fought and fought with their "customer service". For those wondering, they don't have any. Either they don't speak proper English, you cannot understand them because their accent is so heavy or they are incompetent. There is no "customer" "service". Just a customer run around and promises of refurbished garbage some one sent back to them already and still junk.

First, you do NOT help your customers. If you have a broken product, and you know it's broken, send them one tier higher and jot a refurbished piece of crap you know will only work for 6 weeks.

Second, if you do not properly know how to TEST your firmware prior to forcing it down your consumers throats, you are in the wrong business. Test your junk. And I don't mean 3 times. Most people have problems with your firmware from having more than 6 devices and over 6 months. Why don't you set up a lab, and stress test your gear and leave it running while your products are out? Can't afford to leave a router running for 6 months? I mean, I can loan you 4 of your routers, no, actually, you can have all 4.

How to fix some issues, you have have an English speaking person calling in (that pressed 1 for English) , don't send them to a half English speaking, "I passed my 20 question English test and can make 4 cents more" guy or gal. It's rude. You piss the customer off before they even get out their questions. I mean the dude couldn't even pronounce router.... he called it a, and I quote, a "Row ew tea er". Like he was learning how to read. It was so frustrating.

Don't message me and try and "help" me now. You lost me as a customer. I just want to let other know, what kind of "help" they will get from your company. This Nighthawk wasn't cheap, didn't last a year, and your last firmware actually locked it up so bad, it's stuck in a reboot loop.

So, if you are looking to spend 600 bucks on a router that lasts maybe a year (I have 4 different Netgear routers to prove my facts, all with the emails proving that within 1 year, I had issues with them dropping users, same issue with each router) these guys are the company for you. They love that their name, that I guess was once quality, makes them money still. Their customer service is terrible and their products are worse. Take this as a warning. It's your dollar, that you worked for.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

NETGEAR is only good at hardware, because that's what they do. They have only a few people doing software. All other stuff they offer, including firmware & co, is outsourced to a third party that doesn't seem to care much despite being payed by NETGEAR. In fact, NETGEAR is worse in the sense that it allows such a poorly designed/implemented firmware to be used on its routers, which hardware-wise are pretty decent. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
labatt
Mentor

Netgear used to be my go to router company. Learned first with a r8000 then a r8000p that the company had gone down hill firmware wise. Sold both and moved on toward commercial side. Now have a never down network and coverage of whole house. 

Message 2 of 7
microchip8
Master

NETGEAR is only good at hardware, because that's what they do. They have only a few people doing software. All other stuff they offer, including firmware & co, is outsourced to a third party that doesn't seem to care much despite being payed by NETGEAR. In fact, NETGEAR is worse in the sense that it allows such a poorly designed/implemented firmware to be used on its routers, which hardware-wise are pretty decent. 

Message 3 of 7
NGJunk
Initiate

Then, this is their failure as a hardware company. If you make a piece of gear and slap your name all over the box and sell it as your product, you should be more involved with the software it needs to perform it's job. My router requirement is for home use and not very intensive. I have 4 echo devices around the house for music mostly, then a few tables and phones, and the TV. Really not to much for what the product should support. For the first 4 or 5 months I had no issues. Then the router started dropping everything. So, being a somewhat data inclined individual, I went to the old 192 address I remembered from my old tech days and got into the router. I saw it needed a firmware update.

Normally I would only install a new firmware with an issue or vulnerability risk. I was having issues so, I went with it. Same issues with the new firmware. So, I reverted and it worked for 24 hours, then started dropping users. Then I started my 4th router customer service endeavor with Netgear. That is always a blast! They want to send me a refurbished router, which as you and I both know, it's software, as with my other three netgear paperweights.

With my router bot working, I hard wired the devices I could and just used mobile data and researched solutions (because I didn't want a refurbished that would have the same issues l, just like the other three I had sent back and came to me with the same problems). I found out their was a new firmware, my router wasn't seeing as new, that had been released 3 days prior. So I downloaded it on my PC and self installed it. Router worked great for another week and started having issues. I went into my router and it said the old firmware was the newest. Well I was having issues, so I let it auto update on its own. It is now stuck in a reboot loop. I have tried a hard reset, the power reset, everything I could find, with no fix. I now have this very expensive router, not even a year old, that is junk.

Just trying to warn other people, that may be looking to buy a Netgear product. I just purchased the Gryphon home mesh system. We'll see how that goes.
Message 4 of 7
labatt
Mentor

@microchip8 wrote:

They can build a decent product, jus not decent router. Have used 3 Netgear modems, including the one in my sig and they have just worked. Only reason for swapout was increased line speed from ISP. 

Message 5 of 7
microchip8
Master

@labatt wrote:

@microchip8 wrote:

They can build a decent product, jus not decent router. Have used 3 Netgear modems, including the one in my sig and they have just worked. Only reason for swapout was increased line speed from ISP. 

No, they have decent routers. The hardware is fine. What's on top of it is not and they don't care because they can save some bucks here and there by outsourcing virtually everything. A real shame, as they damage themselves

Message 6 of 7
DeadBEEF666
Tutor

@labatt Do you mind sharing what your commercial setup is?  I"m having fits with NG.. I'm on my 4th one now, and ready to dump it...

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7