Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear nighthawk R6900P proper setup in AP mode

jhaiar
Initiate

Netgear nighthawk R6900P proper setup in AP mode

II am in process of setting my nighthawk router as an access point. Following the instructions in the Manual it says "To avoid interference with other routers or gateways on your network, we recommend that you use different WiFi settings on each router. You can also turn off the WiFi radio on the other router and use the router only for WiFi client access." Can someone please clarify what the manual is saying. Does it mean I should have different SSID names in both devices, or be on different channels, or something else. Thank you in advance for clarifying this.
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear nighthawk R6900P proper setup in AP mode

so the 2.4ghz has 1-11 (in US) and the 5ghz has channels 32-48, 50-144 (dfs channels), and149-165

List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia

they want you putting the router on seperate channels so they're not interfering with each other.

there is channel overlap so its good to seperate them out more than just 1 channel. 

Designing a Dual-Band Wireless Network | MetaGeek

You can leave the ssids (names) the same if you'd prefer. When I'm running multiple networks, I tend to use different ssids so that I can choose which network to connect to as needed. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

so the 2.4ghz has 1-11 (in US) and the 5ghz has channels 32-48, 50-144 (dfs channels), and149-165

List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia

they want you putting the router on seperate channels so they're not interfering with each other.

there is channel overlap so its good to seperate them out more than just 1 channel. 

Designing a Dual-Band Wireless Network | MetaGeek

You can leave the ssids (names) the same if you'd prefer. When I'm running multiple networks, I tend to use different ssids so that I can choose which network to connect to as needed. 

Message 2 of 3
jhaiar
Initiate

Thank you plemans for the information.  Tells me everything I need to know

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements