Netgear nighthawk

Deductedsolid
Aspirant

Netgear nighthawk

My modem download speed is 245mbs but my nighthawk router is only 143mbs. Is there any way to improve this??

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear nighthawk

1. what modem are you using? make and model

2. firmware on your router?

3. how are you testing? wired/wireless? 2.4ghz/5ghz?

4. Are you testing with the build in app, using a pc browser, using the speedtest app ? be specific as different methods are going to give you different results

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 15
Deductedsolid
Aspirant

NETGEAR - Nighthawk AC1900

R7000-100NAS

I believe the most updated firmware but I can't check as I'm not home.

The test results came from the spetrum tech who came out to the house, he did ethnet to modem than to Nighthawk router and than check the coax connection outside, the slowest sppeds

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

@Deductedsolid wrote:

NETGEAR - Nighthawk AC1900

R7000-100NAS

I believe the most updated firmware but I can't check as I'm not home.

The test results came from the spetrum tech who came out to the house, he did ethnet to modem than to Nighthawk router and than check the coax connection outside, the slowest sppeds

This didn't make much sense. Plus trusting techs doesn't always turn out well.

1. what modem did they hookup?

2. when you get home, what firmware on R7000? when it comes to the r7000, the latest isn't always the best. its been known to have firmware issues with some of the newer versions

3. what speeds do you get hardwired into the modem? And hardwired into the R7000? Not the tech but you.

4. and how are you testing those speeds? I'd recommend using dslreports.com for speedtesting. 

Message 4 of 15
Deductedsolid
Aspirant

Ok thank you, I do all this when I get home and repost.

Message 5 of 15
Deductedsolid
Aspirant

Firmware Version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 this is the firmware. I have to wait a little to run speed tests, son is in an online class at the moment.

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

When it comes to the R7000 the 2 best firmwares are either 1.0.9.42 or 1.0.11.100.

If you change firmwares on the R7000, the best (most succesful) router is to upgrade/downgrade over an ethernet connection, factory reset afterwards, and to manually install. it can be a bit of a pain but it tends to have the best results. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

Message 7 of 15
Deductedsolid
Aspirant

Thank you I have seen a improvement, I will keep an eye on it over the weekend when everybody is using it. You mentioned 2.4ghz/5ghz I have it set to smart detect would you advise this or not?

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

smart connect depends on your usage. the average home user is going to do fine with it. 

Something to keep in mind with it through is it has to "learn" your usage per device. So sometimes devices start out poorly on 2.4ghz until they get switched to 5ghz. 

Message 9 of 15
Deductedsolid
Aspirant

Things haven't really improved. I think it maybe the location of the router its in the master bedroom at the back of the house. Do you know of anyway to help boost the signal around the house?

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

How big is the home? 

What are your interior walls made of? 

This are kind of critical as certain materials block wifi very well. And abover a certain size you might need different solutions.

One thing I would recommend is trying to centrally locate the router. Most routers are omni directional meaning the broadcast in all directions. If its on one side of the house, half its broadcast is into your yard/exterior walls. 

Message 11 of 15
Deductedsolid
Aspirant

its 2800square ft. Not sure what the walls are made from. I'm not sure how I more my router because how will it connect to the modem. Thank you for your help on this matter.

Message 12 of 15
plemans
Guru

1. 2800sqft is fairly decent sized for a single device. Especiall if its not centrally located. 

2. you can potentially move the modem and the router to centrally locate. Some homes have coax jacks in each room.

3. try knocking on your walls. If their brick, it'll be pretty solid. Same with plaster lathe/adobe. sheetrock/wood construction is going to be lighter and more hollow. 

4. If you can't move it. A mesh extender might not be a bad idea. I'd recommend the triband extenders. I'd also recommend not using more than 1 extender. If you're needing more than 1 extender, an upgrade to a full mesh system like orbi is advised. 

Message 13 of 15
Deductedsolid
Aspirant

I will try moving but then how will I connect my wired connections that run from the master bedroom closet?

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't know your layout, your wiring, what you've got going on and can run ethernet/coax. 

I'm just saying, for best performance out of a single router solutions, centrally locating is best. You can add an extender if you want more range. But if you're needing more than 1 extender, you should be running a full mesh system like orbi. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E