Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear r7500 WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address

davidk1952
Luminary

Netgear r7500 WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address

I have just updated my Nighthawk router and I started to look more closely at the router logs and I have noticed this Warning?

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address ec:3d:fd:42:03:1b, Sunday, November 26, 2017 12:30:53  And in the attached devices it seems like everything is accounted for... . 

I have checked all the devices I have and none of them have this mac address.  One of the articles says this is from the outside trying to enter my system but I guess I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do next.  I had Updated the Netgear firmware recently and I continously run virus scans on our system...   and everything looks clean on this end. 

Is there any way to track down something like this?  Im out of ideas.. .  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you could offer...  

Dave

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
davidk1952
Luminary

You are correct about driving me crazy... I can't afford to get more gray hair!   But, you are correct there are some options of what you want to log and I"ve started by turning everything off,  then turn on one by one to see what kind of log it creates...   I find objects like Magic Jack will have lots of hits...   

Anyway, I'm going to slowly add what is to be logged and chase it down.. . I"m sure it will be a never ending process..    Thanks for your help...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The error message means a device tried to join your Wi-Fi network but failed. That means the device is physically nearby and is not coming from the Internet.

Looking up the MAC address online shows that it is registered to SHENZHEN BILIAN ELECTRONIC CO.,LTD. I couldn't find much online about this manufacturer except for an Internet radio appliance. Do or one of your neighbors have such a device? Of course, it could be something else.
Message 2 of 5
davidk1952
Luminary

Thanks,   I have a new camera from SRIcam and for some reason it was trying to access my wifi, but I never set it to do that, nor does it have my password.....  It is hard wired.   So, I have contacted the company and I will proably have to reset the camera and start over.... I may have accedently turned on a wifi switch when I was setting it up... but I've pulled it off line until I get it squared away! 

I have to stop looking at these logs, it drives me crazy.  things like Magic Jack seems very active on my lan but I am guessing that it is talking to their servers to make sure I am connected.   but there is so much activity that probably is just normal opperations....  but saying that with the days of all the hacking going on....  You can never be too carefull! 

I am still learning and I appreciate your reply and others that may reply as well... 

Thanks again for your help...

Dave

Dave

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Glad you found the culprit. Reading the logs can drive you a little crazy. What doesn't help is that the messages are hard to understand by a layperson. Most messages are harmless but there are dangerous ones that require action.

If I recall, you have some control over which messages are logged. You can try turning off logging of harmless messages. That way, if you see anything, it will more likely to be something to be concerned about.
Message 4 of 5
davidk1952
Luminary

You are correct about driving me crazy... I can't afford to get more gray hair!   But, you are correct there are some options of what you want to log and I"ve started by turning everything off,  then turn on one by one to see what kind of log it creates...   I find objects like Magic Jack will have lots of hits...   

Anyway, I'm going to slowly add what is to be logged and chase it down.. . I"m sure it will be a never ending process..    Thanks for your help...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7