Follower

Netgear router throttling speeds

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my internet to 200 mbps from 100mbps, but have been unable to make use of those speeds because my nighthawk router seems to be throttling it to 70-80mbps. I had my ISP come out and test the connection and verified that another router was getting consistent 200, so I'm sure it's an issue with the router. These speeds stay around this rate for both wired and wireless connections.

I also have a wired access point connected with a static IP address. It's configured to route everything directly to the Nighthawk router via ethernet.

Things I've tried so far:

-Factory reset router

-Updated to latest firmware

(After I did this, I was getting 200mbps, then the only settings I updated were the SSID names and passwords, and still got 200. Then a day later, I was back at 80)

Unrelated Question: I bought my own cat6 wire to connect to my AP, but didn't realize I connected and crimped it with cat5 RJ45 connectors. Would this affect my wired data speed? I'm hesistant to re-adjust this until I know my router is working properly.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Netgear router throttling speeds

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements