Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear support R7800

ChesticlesMcgee
Aspirant

Netgear support R7800

My router will no longer keep its settings and goes back to the default settings when power cycled. It is also randomly rebooting now. It's only 3 months past the warranty date. The last router I owned never stopped working, I upgraded it for newer technology/speed. This is crazy. 

I have tried resetting the router, and reinstalling the firmware from the support site, 1.0.2.82

Since it is our of warranty how do I find out if I can get it fixed? I can't find a way to get to the support team to tell me what my options are. I want to find out if the cost of sending it in for repair is worth it. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ChesticlesMcgee
Aspirant

Re: Netgear support R7800

Just wanted to follow up, in case anyone else is searching for a solution, beyond warranty.... 

I tried all the older firmware versions from Netgear back to .68, and they all failed for me. From my research, .68 seemed to be what everyone said was the most stable version with the least bugs. They would never save the settings, and it still continued to randomly reboot. 

I found in my search that DD-WRT was compatible with this model. I didn't have anything to lose, so I tried installing the DD-WRT firmware. I had some weird initial issue with it freezing the web pages with the latest version, 44719, using the DD-WRT Factory image. I reloaded the previous version of DD-WRT, 40559, using DD-WRT Webupgrade. Everything worked. When I rebooted the router, it no longer lost the settings. I then tried the upgrade back to 44719 using DD-WRT Webupgrade, and everything is working great. 24 hours and so far so good.

Time will tell if this works. I'll try to remember to check back in a week and leave an update. It looks promising so far, and if this works, saved me a lot of money to replace it. I hope this might be useful to others that run into the same issue.

Many thanks to the folks that tried to assist me. I really appreciate it. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried downgrading the firmware a version? 

Sometimes that can fix the power cycle/reset issue

Message 2 of 8
ChesticlesMcgee
Aspirant

Thank you for responding! 

I downloaded the version I mentioned earlier from the Netgear site. Where are the older versions located?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Nighthawk X4S R7800 | AC2600 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

click downloads and then click "+view previous versions"

Message 4 of 8
ChesticlesMcgee
Aspirant

I guess I'm out of luck. I've tried every version all the way back to .68, and it will not save the settings. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> My router will no longer keep its settings and goes back to the
> default settings when power cycled. [...]

Sounds to me like hardware.  Test/swap the power adapter?

> [...] how do I find out if I can get it fixed? [...]

I've never seen a repair service for these gizmos; they don't cost
enough to justify any skilled labor.

Message 6 of 8
ChesticlesMcgee
Aspirant

Just wanted to follow up, in case anyone else is searching for a solution, beyond warranty.... 

I tried all the older firmware versions from Netgear back to .68, and they all failed for me. From my research, .68 seemed to be what everyone said was the most stable version with the least bugs. They would never save the settings, and it still continued to randomly reboot. 

I found in my search that DD-WRT was compatible with this model. I didn't have anything to lose, so I tried installing the DD-WRT firmware. I had some weird initial issue with it freezing the web pages with the latest version, 44719, using the DD-WRT Factory image. I reloaded the previous version of DD-WRT, 40559, using DD-WRT Webupgrade. Everything worked. When I rebooted the router, it no longer lost the settings. I then tried the upgrade back to 44719 using DD-WRT Webupgrade, and everything is working great. 24 hours and so far so good.

Time will tell if this works. I'll try to remember to check back in a week and leave an update. It looks promising so far, and if this works, saved me a lot of money to replace it. I hope this might be useful to others that run into the same issue.

Many thanks to the folks that tried to assist me. I really appreciate it. 

Message 7 of 8
ChesticlesMcgee
Aspirant

DD-WRT seems to be the solution. It has been running all week with no reboots, or any other issues so far. I'm disappointed that Netgear's own software doesn't work, but I'm happy I found a solution so that I don't have to spend $200 again. 

Take care everyone! I hope this helps you out if you run across this issue. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7