Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear wifi router R6700 - Internet speed problem

ArchTux
Aspirant

Netgear wifi router R6700 - Internet speed problem

Hello,

I live in Belgium and I have a connection 400mbits download and 20 mbits upload. I contacted my internet provider because I thought that I was limited to 190mbits download (checked with speedtest and also direct download). They told me that there was nothing wrong with my internet. I use my ISP router as bridge and the NETGEAR Router wifi R6700 is directly connected with an RJ45 cable to it.

I decided to test my connection with just my ISP router so I factory reset it, plugged my computer directly on it and disabled wifi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. With that setup, I reached close to 400mbits download speed (I think it was 380mbits so close enough). I changed the router configuration to be bridge and connected my R6700 to it. I checked on my computer again and I reached the limited speed of 190mbits download.

I tried to disable the wifi in the panel admin of the R6700 but couldn't find where to do that. The only thing I could uncheck is the SSID broadcast in the wifi settings.

Note: I think I should check again for the "Enable Wireless Router Radio" (https://kb.netgear.com/24101/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-the-wireless-radios-on-my-Nighthawk-router) but I don't remember seeing that.

Anyway, does anybody here know what kind of configuration could limit my internet speed (with RJ45 cable) like that? Could the wifi that is enabled be the cause ? I'll test the speed again tonight if I can find how to disable the wifi completely from the R6700.

Thanks a lot.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear wifi router R6700 - Internet speed problem

Try leaving your isp router in router mode (not bridge), disable its wifi, and put the netgear in access point mode. try that. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try leaving your isp router in router mode (not bridge), disable its wifi, and put the netgear in access point mode. try that. 

Message 2 of 4
ArchTux
Aspirant

Hi,

I get around 320mbits on my desktop computer now thanks to your suggestion but I only have 30mbits download with wifi now. ^^

I guess that's okay, I'll try to figure out why later now that the main problem is solved, thanks.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

try testing wireless speed over the 5ghz. 

30mbps can be normal for the 2.4ghz but should be able to hit faster speeds over 5ghz.

it can also be the primary router's qos slowing devices. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7