Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netger, get your "Dynamic QoS" act together -- it DOES NOT WORK

duckware
Prodigy

Netger, get your "Dynamic QoS" act together -- it DOES NOT WORK

Netgear's "Dynamic QoS" is a joke.

I turned it on and waited 24 hours to see how well it works.  It doesn't work -- at all.  It identifies my VoIP phone as a "Linux PC" with "low" priority.  It did not recognize any other device on my network, one of which was another Netgear router configured as an access point!

The "Performance Optimization Database" for dynamic QoS is "up to date", but has a date of April 28, 2017.

Netgear, get your act together.  Your "dynamic DNS" does not work.  It you are not going to pay any attention to the QoS issue (really, not updating the database in over 300 days!) then allow end users to manually set rules.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: Netger, get your "Dynamic QoS" act together -- it DOES NOT WORK

Manual control QOS would be the true answer as everyone has different requirements for their own networks and the importance of devices on it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
William10a
Master

Manual control QOS would be the true answer as everyone has different requirements for their own networks and the importance of devices on it.

Message 2 of 3
avtella
Prodigy

Device identification is just a guess, based on the mac I believe to help identify devices, you are actually supposed to set the device type and priorities (High/Medium/Low) yourself, works fairly well for me after that. Was never meant to be simply turn on and forget type of thing.

Make sure to set speed limits to 80-90% of your normal tested Download and Upload speeds in the config page, allows for QoS to work properly should ISP speeds fluctuate.

I think they should remove the device type “guess” so people don’t get confused and think it’s a turn on and forget type QoS.

Additional Info:
The Streamboost QoS engine on the R7800 is by Qualcomm, the chipset manufacturer, Dynamic QoS is the name given for the one on Broadcomm based units, pretty much all consumer routers companies using QCA/Broadcom chips use these manufacturer QoS templates with update lists provided by Qualcomm or Broadcom.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7