Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network dies abruptly when downloading a large file over wired connection

Moridin
Aspirant

Network dies abruptly when downloading a large file over wired connection

My Nighthawk is a few years old now and it's probably the best router I've owned to date. Let me preface this post by saying I've used this thing a lot and I've never had a single issue. However, lately when I try to download a sizeable file it kills every other application on my network until I either complete or pause the download. It even kills my other applications on the PC it's downloading on. And by kill, I mean absolutely no network/internet connection whatsoever. I have disabled my Dynamic QoS to see if it would stop feeding all the bandwidth to my download, but no dice. I play a lot of PC games, and thus do a lot of downloading but my wife works online from home. I'm hoping to find a solution that will allow me to download my large files while I'm away at work for the day and not ruin her workday in the process. I have only recently had this issue as, like I said before, I have had this router for several years. Any input at all is appreciated, it's driving me mad.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Check the router LEDs during the outage - is it crashing/restarting? If yes, do you have a spare power supply at hand to try?

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on?

What modem/gateway is it connected to?

Did you try a simple factory reset and reinstall? Sometimes the simple fixes, actually work.

Message 3 of 5
Moridin
Aspirant

There is no outage/resetting that I can see whenever it begins acting up. Everything seems fine, it just stops providing service to anything that's not the download in question
Message 4 of 5
Moridin
Aspirant

@plemans The firmware version it's running currently is V1.0.2.80 which I just downloaded and installed earlier this morning, so I assume it should be the most current version available. As for the modem, it's connected to my ISP's standard fiber-optic modem, hooked up in the basement. So far as I can tell everything there is working as intended. I have not as of yet tried a factory reset/reinstall, I was hoping to exhaust all other options before attempting that as my wife's work machines are all employer provided and are an absolute pain to reconnect to the network (I've had to do that twice now).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7