Network upgrade - Need wireless VLAN & compatible switch to replace JGS524F

Synica1
Guide

Network upgrade - Need wireless VLAN & compatible switch to replace JGS524F

Hi all,

I'm preparing to upgrade some of the aging devices in our home network (very atypical setup).  This is in response to our decision to finally cut all of our Comcast services except Internet (since we're getting dinged $50 extra every month for unlimited data).  On an average day, we have 25-30 devices connected, and 40+ is not uncommon.  As such, I'd also like to implement VLANs.  The tricky part is, about 60-65% of the devices connect wirelessly. 

For VLANs, I'm planning for:

VLAN 10:  Default

VLAN 20:  Voice (Ooma Telo)

VLAN 30:  Media Streaming (Fire TV, Apple TV, Smart TVs w/ video apps)

VLAN 40:  Gaming (XBox Ones & 360's)

VLAN 50:  IoT (Ring cameras, future security system not named ADT)

VLAN 60:  Mobile Devices (Phones, Tablets)

Since several of the VLANs will encompass a mix of wired / wireless devices, I'm assuming that 802.1q tagging is the preferred solution.  I'm fairly certain my current Nighthawk R7000 will only allow VLANs on each wireless band (for a total of 2).  I know my unmanaged JGS524F (circa 2006) doesn't support them at all! 

My priority is replacing the switch, and I'd like the community's feedback.  I'm currently looking at the Insight GC728X, GS724Tv4, or JGS524E - any other suggested options must be rack mountable, and I'd like to keep it under $300.  Following that I'd like to upgrade the R7000.  I wouldn't mind one of the new AX8 or AX12 models if they support the VLAN scheme I described above - I vaguely remember messing around with a Cisco 321 a few years ago that (I think) supported multiple VLANS via different SSIDs.  Hopefully one of the Netgear AX or AD models offers something similar.  I'm attaching an abridged network diagram that provides a basic picture of our setup (ran out of room on Visio).  Any comments or advice are welcome, and thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: Network upgrade - Need wireless VLAN & compatible switch to replace JGS524F

Extensive VLAN is not part of consumer-grade NG routers on stock firmware. You need to use something like DD-WRT or OpenWrt or FreshTomato. Make sure these firmwares support the router model you go for

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 2 of 4

... or rethink the extensive, and probably unnecessary, abundance of VLANs.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 4
Synica1
Guide

You need to use something like DD-WRT or OpenWrt or FreshTomato. Make sure these firmwares support the router model you go for

Thanks microchip - that might be a neat idea to add to my project list.  It's been awhile since I messed around with DD-WRT, so might be fun!

@michaelkenward wrote:

... or rethink the extensive, and probably unnecessary, abundance of VLANs.

Thanks for the suggestion, Michael.  What would you recommend as an alternative?  If it makes any difference there are some other components I had to leave off the diagram because of space constraints.  Not included were two GS205 switches (one in the office, one in the main entertainment console area), 5 Sonos speakers over two rooms, a couple IoT wearables (fitbit, etc), and 5 Fire HD tablets. 

What if I place the mobile / IoT devices into a single VLAN that's isolated from the client / server side?  I don't have much experience with QoS - would studying up on that help prioritize traffice for voice / HD media streams?   Of course, now my inner turbo-nerd is rattling the cage, and wants to see how aggregating two ports on an AX8 would work.  So much for keeping this as a small scale project.

Thanks again for the comments, and I look forward to mucking around in my closet under the stairs this weekend!

Server_Rack.jpeg

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements