Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Never seemed to work properly

PW05
Aspirant

Never seemed to work properly

I have had this for a few years now and it has never seemed to be of any benefit just using electricity in the corner. I recently received an email about a Firmware update so after a great deal of trouble loggining in and trying to update it I am asked to connect to NETGEAR_EXT. in settings. I tried on both my phone and computer and neither can find this address. Can anyone out there help me set this up to start working. I was not convinced it was connected when first purchased but now quite sure

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Never seemed to work properly

Then factory reset it and start over. 

Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

then follow the install guide and use the installation assistant method and NOT wps. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You already had it setup? 

Its a mesh extender so it uses the same ssid as the primary router and devices roam between the primary router and it as needed. 

so it doesn't show up as seperate. Its the whole purpose of a mesh device is that you don't have to mess with it or switch between networks. Your device handles it all. 

If you log into your router, it'll have an attached device list (or equivelent). Look at that list for the EX7700's IP address and use its ip address to connect to it. 

Message 2 of 13
PW05
Aspirant

OK thanks for that. Then how do I update the Firmware as it doesn't like the Netgear_Ext. address?

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

@PW05 wrote:

OK thanks for that. Then how do I update the Firmware as it doesn't like the Netgear_Ext. address?

Are you sure that's your SSID and not someone elses? 

Have you tried logging into the extender to see what firmware its on? You might be on the latest as the email updates are just sent to everyone with that registered device. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061572/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-WiFi-Extender

Message 4 of 13
PW05
Aspirant

when I go to bullet 2 of the installation instructions of New Features and Enhancements I receive a message saying unable to connect?, I have tried again and waited as suggested but still the same result

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

not sure what you mean under "new features and enhancements", got a screen snip? 
have you simply tried factory resetting the extender and starting back at stock settings?

Message 6 of 13
PW05
Aspirant

Capture1.JPG

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

Is the extender setup and working? 

What are its led's doing?

Message 8 of 13
PW05
Aspirant

I have 3 white LED's on the front, it is set up as far as I know, I am not by any means tech savy but followed the intructions. With regard resetting to factory settings, I can't login so no idea how to do that

Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

If you log into your router, there's an attached devices page (or equivlent depending on your router). 

It'll list the ip address for your extender. 

go to that address. 

What do you see?

Message 10 of 13
PW05
Aspirant

I don't see my extender in any list

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

Then factory reset it and start over. 

Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

then follow the install guide and use the installation assistant method and NOT wps. 

Message 12 of 13
PW05
Aspirant

Thanks I will give it a go

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements