Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New Firmware 1.0.4.28

alien433 wrote:
You people also format and reinstall your pc when installing a new bios??? its about the same

That's not the same at all, a reasonable analogy would be if your motherboard BIOS added new functionality, you may well then need to reset the bios and re-enter settings.

I discuss firmware issues with Netgear engineers quite regularly, there are plenty of situations where a factory reset may be needed, depending on the nature of the change to the firmware.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi Babylon,

Does the stock firmware offer an option to reset to stock settings or do I have to go physically work on the router. I am asking because I can't recall and because I am lazy :cool:

Thanks in advance.

J
Message 52 of 115
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In the ’Advanced’ area, under ‘Administration’ – ‘Backup Settings’ is the option ‘Revert to factory default settings’. Is that what you mean?
Highlighted

I always reset before and after a FW install. But I don't do the hold buttons down with a pin anymore.
Message 54 of 115
Highlighted
Guide

i did a reset, Network Control Center works
Then i registerd to ready Cloud.
Now Network Control Center is not working anymore.
Its a bug
Please test this to.
owner of:

Netgear R7000

Draytek 2130N

Synology Nas
Message 55 of 115
Highlighted
Prodigy

alien433, Did you restore from a back up or put settings in manually?
Message 56 of 115
Highlighted

Did not have problem with the USB parts of the latest FW.

I'm playing with XVortex's FW at the moment. But I did have the latest Netgear's and did not have any USB issues.
Message 57 of 115
Highlighted
Guide

Killhippie wrote:
Did you restore from a back up or put settings in manually?

Manually of course. Now im back with the former firmware that works
owner of:

Netgear R7000

Draytek 2130N

Synology Nas
Message 58 of 115
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi again,

First, Babylon, thank you for the quick instructions. I am not a very clever man who often has the stupid, as such, I didn't even notice it.

You rock.

-J
Message 59 of 115
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

im now officialy back on R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.3.80 cuz this latest fw just has to much slow ness n lags webcams streams and xbox live way to much cant live with that
Message 60 of 115
Highlighted
Master

01R wrote:
im now officialy back on R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.3.80 cuz this latest fw just has to much slow ness n lags webcams streams and xbox live way to much cant live with that

I gave up on Netgear's stock fw and flashed Xvortex's mod of Asuswrt-Merlin. Works extremely good, is very stable and performance is excellent.

As I'm very disappointed in the stock fw, this R7000 will maybe be my last Netgear product. A 1 billion dollar company can't get its **** together and make a modern fw, working fw. I have no plans in buying a product from one company and being forced running another company's fw because its own sucks.
Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 61 of 115
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi all,

I think there might be something odd going on with my router or this build. This morning I flashed the most recent firmware. All seemed right in the world. I followed all the standard procedures and did a reset to factory defaults as instructed.

I set everything up and all seemed right with the world. I then went to do something I do here and there, I ran some diagnostics and then did a speed check. Last night, on a different firmware, my speeds were consistent as they had always been ~100 Mbps. Today, in part of regular testing, I did my speed tests and my speeds were down to ~30.

I spent about two hours working with Comcast, including a contact I have at Tier 3 (he remotely verified I was provisioned properly). I did the standard cable modem resets and power cycles on the router, but am still hitting what seems like a ~30 Mbps ceiling.

I decided to post this since I know other people were encountering odd slowness etc. Are there any other diagnostics I can run on the router? Would something like I am seeing be a hardware failure or impending failure?

I hope to hear from you all.

Johnathon
Message 62 of 115
Highlighted
Guru

Did you run a speed test while directly connected to the modem? This is the only way to be certain that the router is to blame.
Message 63 of 115
Highlighted
Aspirant

Also,

I had been seeing weird issues while on xVortex and Tomato, so I chalked it up to the "perpetual" beta status of the firmwares. I talked about them in an earlier post (if it gets approved). There were weird dns resolution slowdowns and I am also seeing this bandwidth issue now.

Does this router need to be laid to rest? It's only been less then 6 months... sigh :confused:
Message 64 of 115
Highlighted
Virtuoso

johnathonm wrote:

Does this router need to be laid to rest? It's only been less then 6 months... sigh :confused:

Sorry for all the problems that you're having. Hardware does break, on the other hand I've had this router for 1.5 years and have put it through more flashes than you can imagine *smile*, bricked and unbricked it once, and it seems to be working after all that. Have you tried re-flashing the firmware and resetting the router a couple of times? In your situation, I would also advise resetting before the re-flashing as well as a couple of times afterwards. It's worth the extra time to rescue your router if possible.

Also, you didn't yet answer the question of whether you had tried your computer directly on the modem. Although you probably have, that's the first thing the Comcast techs have you do.
Message 65 of 115
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi again everyone,

I have been doing a lot of digging on my end. I spent several hours working with Comcast, cycling firmwares and the standard procedures. On a whim, I decided to run a scan of my computer since new definitions had just been pushed to it. BAM... it found a Trojan. I can't find any details about it but it looks like from what I can find it was recently added to the dat files (at least with my tools).

If and when I can dig up more details, I will pass them along. If anyone has more experience with this stuff (I know how to remove them) in terms of the technical parts I'd love to understand what just actually happened. Moreover, I want to understand how or why it crippled my network performance.

Thanks in advance and for putting up with me.

-J
Message 66 of 115
Highlighted
Prodigy

I run Malwarebytes in addition to an internet security suite. It seems to find somethings that a regular antivirus doesn't find.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/3/

I run the free version.
Message 67 of 115
Highlighted
Prodigy

01R wrote:
Not having issues here with PS4, have you tried a Traceroute to your game servers/Microsoft's servers connected directly to the modem? Also if you are gaming over wifi then you should expect this, Ethernet is the only way to go for gaming. I'm playing Destiny with no issues at all, and Id rather stay on this side of the SOAP Vulnerability that use a firmware released before that was fixed. I will say though since the 1.0.4 Firmwares have come out the R7000 has been buggy as. I have scanned the ports of the firewall and not one port probe shows up, it should show at least and ack scan when using shields up, but the admin logs appears to do nothing in that respect. The R6300v2 is performing better than this router. Maybe Netgear are just waiting to release the next round of buggy AC Gazillion routers and the R7000 is not a priority for actually fixing the firmware now...
Message 68 of 115
Highlighted
Novice

netwrks wrote:
Router Firmware update procedure.

1 - Download the new Firmware
2 - Hard reset router (depress reset button with pin. Hold until power button flashes).
3 - Load new firmware. Pick browse (to your desktop) from router update page. Update from your laptop / desktop. (directly connect to router - not wifi)
4 - Repeat STEP 2.
5 - Login to router via a browser and manually reconfigure your router.

These steps are taken to ensure nothing residual is left from previous Firmware update, or previous router config.
As others have mentioned, following these steps will save you a ton of grief...

I never did all these steps in my entire life (at least 10 different routers) and I never had problems like the ones people descibe in forums.

I had a small problem with the WiFi dropping with 1 PC when I got the router but a month later there was a new firmware that fixed that problem.

Anyway, I always just flash the firmware from the R7000 menu and that's it.

Im sure all your steps could help someone who has a specific problem regarding his setting being incompatible with a new firmware, but for most of us, just flashing the new firmware straight from the R7000 option menu (I even let the router download the file for me) will do the job.

Note: I always do those steps when coming back from DD-WRT firmware, but that's it.
Message 69 of 115
Highlighted
Prodigy

Temporel wrote:
I never did all these steps in my entire life that's it.
Netgear actually say on some of their firmware releases do do a full reset after updating, if it comes from the horses mouth you do it.
Message 70 of 115
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Killhippie wrote:
Netgear actually say on some of their firmware releases do do a full reset after updating, if it comes from the horses mouth you do it.

Yeah, I usually do the reset after flashing, or end up doing it at some later point more often than not. If you have a good, working saved settings file for the same version, it's an easy troubleshooting step to reset to defaults and restore the saved settings file.
Message 71 of 115
Highlighted

I reset before and after FW flash. Just pointing out the way that is required to reset is via the FW's own "Reset to default" option, not pushing any reset button. The old way of doing things, non-ARM routers, yes use the reset button.

Not with these ARM routers.
Message 72 of 115
Highlighted
Guide

My experience with the R7000 has shown me that the BEST way to ensure the elimination of problems is to follow these steps when updating or reflashing Firmware.

Perform a Hardware Reset by holding down the Reset Button until the Power Light flashes. (This is NOT the same as doing a soft reset within the Menu System. I have found during my more than 50 years working with Computers that a warm boot will not always clear problems that can be cleared with a Cold, power off, Boot.)

Flash the Firmware.

Perform a Hardware Reset. (This may be overkill, but it does not ta ke much time and trying to resolve problems can take hours.)

Enter Settings Manually. (The R7000 is a complex device and there have been many changes in the user interface and settings as the Firmware has been updated. Early in my use of the R7000 I was saving and reloading settings and was experiencing a number of problems. Most of these problems did not occur until the R7000 had been on for a period of several weeks. Since I started entering settings manually after a Firmware Flash I have had esentially no problems. I should add that I do not use any of the functions associated with the USB ports. I do have an R7000 used as a Router with DHCP and Port Forwarding, several Wireless Access Points and a Bridge. I should add that my configuration does not try to pass Airplay across the Bridge.)

Remember, spending a few extra minutes when updating Firmware can potentially save hours of grief.

Should this really be necessary? Of course it shouldn't, but that is the way it is.
Message 73 of 115
Highlighted
Virtuoso

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
Just pointing out the way that is required to reset is via the FW's own "Reset to default" option, not pushing any reset button. The old way of doing things, non-ARM routers, yes use the reset button.

Not with these ARM routers.

Huh? I'm pretty sure that the "reset" button works, if the router and firmware are working. At least it works for me. Can you please cite your sources on this being the case?

Thanks.
Message 74 of 115
Highlighted

I'm sure it does work. That's not the point. The point is using it when doing FW updates is not necessary.
Message 75 of 115
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements