Re: New Firmware 1.0.4.28

jsmiddleton4
Tutor

And no I'm not going to spend time linking to any resources. On every forum in every thread about these ARM based routers this same discussion in presented over and over again.

Reset to defaults by using the provided reset option in the router's setup screens provided in the existing FW. Using the reset button not needed.
Message 76 of 115
Temporel
Novice

Killhippie wrote:
Netgear actually say on some of their firmware releases do do a full reset after updating, if it comes from the horses mouth you do it.

good for them 🙂
Message 77 of 115
swaaye
Novice

Maybe it's expecting too much but I think they should be able to keep track of the variables used for configuration and manage any necessary transitions. Migration to a new firmware should not require a reset. But considering the problems they have with bugs in general, maybe this is not realistic for a SOHO product.
Message 78 of 115
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

The reason for a reset back to defaults is that the new FW maybe writing new or different NVRAM variables as compared to the old FW. If you don't reset the FW to defaults, which is easy to do with on the Admin Config page, you run the risk of creating issues between old and new NVRAM settings that have not been cleared.

The same thing can be done as the FW return to defaults option via the Admin page if you use Telnet and do the mtd erase command.

Reset to defaults prior to and then after FW update eliminates the possibility of "issues" popping up.

Which is also why a saving an old config and restoring the old config to a new FW may create problems.

MAY mind you.
Message 79 of 115
RogerSC
Virtuoso

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
I'm sure it does work. That's not the point. The point is using it when doing FW updates is not necessary.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said. I don't fully agree with you, but that's part of the joy of living in a diverse world. In some cases it isn't necessary to do a reset to defaults after flashing. However, in some cases it is, due to the kind of changes that were made to the firmware. It can be difficult (sometimes impossible) for a user to sort those out. The documentation of a firmware release is often not complete enough to provide that information.

And yes, I see lots of people saying that they don't ever do a reset after flashing new firmware. I also see lots of people struggling with problems that then do a reset and that magically fixes their problems. Hard to say what caused the problem that was fixed by the reset to defaults in each case, but it happens a lot.

Anyways, I'm going to take a wild guess that I reset to defaults after a firmware flash a lot more than you do *smile*.
Message 80 of 115
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

I reset to defaults before and after each FW update.

Which is why I am cautious about updating to any new release. PIA to re-do statically assigned DHCP's every time I reset to defaults.

Rule of thumb had been main version number stays the same, but get an update for the last part, .24, .25, etc., you don't have to return to defaults.

I'm finding with these ARM's just easier in the long run to flash clean and configure clean.

Best practice is reset to defaults via option in Admin fields, don't need to push the hard reset hidden find me with a pin button to do so, and then reconfigure clean.

Folks can do as they please. I just know that by starting with a clean slate you eliminate misc. "issues".
Message 81 of 115
alien433
Guide

Found the problem for USb bug, see this post http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=96495
owner of:

Netgear R7000

Draytek 2130N

Synology Nas
Message 82 of 115
Killhippie
Prodigy

Yet again after about 13 days of up time my WAN port dropped about 9 hours ago, not a thing in admin logs and network connection status says I have been up for 13 days still! What the hell is wrong with this router? Is it that the logging is borked or does it genuinely drop the wan port, with nothing in admin logs and connection status at odds with router statistics I'm getting really fed up of this.
Message 83 of 115
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Never bothered to look in the log for this firmware, there's never anything interesting there. Just dhcp transactions, and who cares about those?

I usually figure these things out by the empirical process, just try things *smile*.

Not sure what the "wan" port dropping means? You lose internet connectivity? When this happens, do you ever look at the lights on your modem, just out of curiosity? To see if it shows connectivity to your ISP? All the client devices stay connected to the router, they just lose internet connection?

Or am I misunderstanding your problem?

Anyways, sounds frustrating...
Message 84 of 115
microchip8
Master

Killhippie, The logging is useless. As the previous poster said, it never tells anything of interest. It's not the router HW itself but it's the horrible firmware. I suggest installing the XVortex's Asuswrt-Merlin mod and be happy of having everything that "just works(tm)" 🙂
Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 85 of 115
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

XVortex is might fine that's for sure. Looks like he's still tweaking some stuff and the base, RMerlin's, is addressing some minor stuff. But over all XVortex is a great FW to use on the R7000.

I keep checking as any day now a _1 or _2 should be released.
Message 86 of 115
01R
Luminary
Luminary

microchip8, the logging something is wierd with it on netgear fw i understand it on other fw its jibbersih in annother language why did they mess it up in other firmware ?
Message 87 of 115
Killhippie
Prodigy

I'm never at the computer when it happens, the router is in my office, and I'm disabled so have limited ability to 'run' to see if anything has happened if I did notice. it tends to happen when I'm not at the machine, or if I am I'm not noticing the issue as a 'drop' of connection or lights going out, my ISP sees no loss of ppp, the router tells me connection has stayed up in connection status, but statistic's say its gone down, logs as you say never show nothing apart from DHCP transactions and no drops are shown in the logs ever when this happens, if you do a port scan they never show up either in the admin logs. Netgear seems to have messed them up totally. Since it tends to happen when I'm not at the computer or online thats more than frustrating believe me. We have replaced the Fibre Modem, and Cat 6 to the WAN port. I'm pretty sure this did not happen on 1.0.3.80 release. Things seem to have gotten more 'fried' since the 1.4 firmwares. I'll take a look at XVortex, see if that changes things. I doubt its hardware as there seems to be to much of a pattern, it did it more on the previous 1.4.0.18 so maybe there is still an issue the DHCP Server, who knows.
Message 88 of 115
microchip8
Master

I had the same issue while on NG's stock fw. For no reason, WAN drops at some point and restores itself. This can be seen on the stats page. Sometimes it will run for many days, then drop/restore for no apparent reason. That said, have you ever telnet into the router and checked the versions of some of the daemons running? One word: ANCIENT Their BusyBox version is also ancient by current standards. This from a company with a market cap of 1 billion US dollars. Can't get its stuff together. What do they do all day long there? Drinking coffee and facebook/twittering? 😄
Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 89 of 115
Killhippie
Prodigy

Why am I not surprised, I am tempted to get an Asus AC68U (the 87U seems way to problematic) but Asus routers also seem very buggy, it seems to be a trend amongst the newer AC routers to run like lame dogs for some reason. The R6300v2 had wan drop issues after a netgear firmware update as well, seems they introduced something into their code, and since the chipsets in the R6300v2 and R7000 are from the same mould, that says it all really. Sloppy coding, ancient daemons. Maybe Babylon 5 can bring this wan drop trend to light with them, as after 90 days they don't want to care for their customers unless you pay more.
Message 90 of 115
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Killhippie wrote:
I am tempted to get an Asus AC68U (the 87U seems way to problematic) but Asus routers also seem very buggy Sloppy coding, ancient daemons. Maybe Babylon 5 can bring this wan drop trend to light with them, as after 90 days they don't want to care for their customers unless you pay more.

I've got an RT-AC68P, nice router, and runs well with RMerlin's firmware. Not buggy at all, but stay away from Asus's firmware. The bugginess of Asus firmware is why RMerlin has a large user community, it's all he can do to fix the bugs that Asus produces *smile*. And add and refine a few features, as well.

Certainly can't argue about sloppy coding by the router manufacturers. On the other hand, ancient daemons, if they do what they're supposed to do arel likely to have few bugs, so no complaint there from me. New code is generally where the bugs are *smile*. Not always, but frequently.

Me, I'm using tomato ARM on my R7000...Xvortex is fine, but doesn't support IPv6 here, which I like to see grow and prosper. Shibby's v129 is doing great for me. I only use the mainline features of a router (routing and mainly 5GHz. wireless), and these are working well here.
Message 91 of 115
RogerSC
Virtuoso

RogerSC wrote:
On the other hand, ancient daemons, if they do what they're supposed to do arel likely to have few bugs, so no complaint there from me. New code is generally where the bugs are *smile*. Not always, but frequently.

One thing that I failed to mention is that old code may not have been written to today's security standards. However, that's why even ancient daemon's get periodic updates, to fix buffer overflow problems, etc.
Message 92 of 115
ankydu
Guide

If anyone having an kind of problem with Netgear ReadyCloud, here is a reply from netgear support I received: :mad::mad::mad:

Dear Ankur,

Thank you for contacting NETGEAR Email support.

Please be informed that ReadySHARE Cloud has been temporarily discontinued and we do not have an estimated time of when it will be supported again.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Jo
Expert ID: 46279
NETGEAR Support Expert
Message 93 of 115
LeeH
Prodigy

Upgraded from Firmware Version 1.0.3.60. Have been running for 9 days now without problems on wired and 2.4 GHz. This firmware seems to be faster both in menus and Ethernet speed. Getting 56/6 Mbps on my 50/5 internet connection. I used to see 50~52/4~5.

Have not tested the 5 GHz band yet. I only have cell phone clients on 5 GHz.
Message 94 of 115
MeSelf
Aspirant

Sorry BUT when people say save your settings and re-enter them after updating FW, what precisely should I be saving to re-enter.

I have down a backup to my desktop as a .cfg file but I can't open it.

Is it just my password and passwords for the 2,4G and 5G networks ?

Or is it things like MAC addresses etc.

I use the basics['cause I don't understand the rest 🙂 ]
Have two pc's through cat 6 cables and laptop and mobiles through wireless on 2.4 and 5.0 frequencies.

THANKS for any advice!
Message 95 of 115
gerick
Aspirant

ankydu, Odd, I just got an email from Netgear yesterday (5/21) stating that "Your NETGEAR Nighthawk Router now has ReadyCLOUD USB Access".
Message 96 of 115
TheEther
Guru

MeSelf wrote:
Sorry BUT when people say save your settings and re-enter them after updating FW, what precisely should I be saving to re-enter.

What they mean is to write down all non-default settings onto paper. The reason for this recommendation is that many times, though not always, the .cfg file from a prior FW version is incompatible, so loading it after an upgrade can result in problems.

If you are only using basic settings on the router, then it may be sufficient to write down just the information in the Basic Internet and Wireless setup pages.
Message 97 of 115
MeSelf
Aspirant

TheEther.......Ok thanks ...think I get it.
Message 98 of 115
01R
Luminary
Luminary

hey please report to netgear techs that this firmware keeps disconnectin alot from xbox live for like seconds n connects its not good u lose a game in 1 second 😞
Message 99 of 115

MeSelf wrote:

I have down a backup to my desktop as a .cfg file but I can't open it.

Is it just my password and passwords for the 2,4G and 5G networks ?

Or is it things like MAC addresses etc.
THANKS for any advice!

A back up of the routers config includes all settings other than defaults for the installed FW. This includes, passwords, port forwarding, address reservation, connection configuration, DHCP, ACL, wireless, USB shares, etc..... anything that you may have changed or modified from a default state after a flash.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 100 of 115
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E