Highlighted
Guide

Re: New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52

scibot wrote:
So I updated to V1.0.4.18_1.1.52 and I don't see any ipv6 settings anymore, anyone with that issue? I had the pulled version installed which did have those settings, but not now.

It is in advanced configuration... :cool:

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 26 of 154
Highlighted
Virtuoso

scibot wrote:
So I updated to V1.0.4.18_1.1.52 and I don't see any ipv6 settings anymore, anyone with that issue? I had the pulled version installed which did have those settings, but not now.

If you're missing the "Advanced Settings" tab that you used to have at the end of the left frame, I'd suggest clicking on "Don't run on this page" in your browser's ad blocker extension (I'm guessing) and then reload the page. If that doesn't work to restore "Advanced Settings", then try dumping your browser's cache and restarting the browser and see if that helps.
Message 27 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

Flashed mine last night and was pleased that my Sony Bravia TV now sees my PC running Universal Media Sever without issue.
Very happy with my new Nighthawk actually - everything seems to work perfectly so far in my short ownership. I was happy with my WNDR3700v1 but this R7000 has superb wireless performance and range!
Message 28 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

Updated to firmware 1.0.4.18_1.1.52 and now wireless completely broken. Completely off and can't turn it on, regardless of what I do. Enabled/Disabled radios, rebooted several times. Nothing.

Might have to factory reset to see if that works or back date to previous firmware. (If I can). What a pain in the butt ..Also no longer recognizing 4GB HD that is hooked up via USB ... UGH >..
Message 29 of 154
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Jim769 wrote:
@ Roger any luck with your comcast IPv6 issue ?? Over 24 hours here and still holding good. Smiley Happy

Good news! Read something in the forum today that reminded me that when I connect my computer directly to the modem, I always get IPv6 pretty immediately. So I cloned my PC MAC address in the router, and guess what? Working again. I don't know whether it would continue to work if I went back to the router's MAC address, I suspect not, but doesn't matter at the moment *smile*.
Message 30 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

Firmware busted wireless access. Lan/Wan still work. USB HD no longer recognized. Tried rolling back to 2 previous versions of firmware. No luck. Had to hard reset to get wireless working again. Which is a complete pain in the butt. Total pain in the butt.

Now I am afraid to update to this latest firmware, as it will most likely break my router again. UGH ..
Message 31 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

HiSpeed wrote:
It is in advanced configuration... :cool:

oh there is it now, looks like chrome had some old cache or something this morning, because it did not show up. But all good now! :cool:
Message 32 of 154
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Now that I've used the new firmware for a while, I'm impressed. Seems faster on the internet, and 5GHz. wireless coverage has improved a scoch, as well. Don't know if the wireless is faster yet, but I haven't see a stronger 5GHz. signal on another router no matter what firmware it was using.

Now if they would just make the web admin GUI better, I'd be happy with Netgear firmware!
Message 33 of 154
Highlighted
Luminary

+1 Here as well i can say with certainty this router and firmware has a blasting signal on the 5G band.. Smiley Very Happy
Message 34 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

How do I go backwards from DD-WRT or Tomato to this firmware? I know that there is a 'starter' firmware to go to DD-WRT or Tomato. Is the same thing needed to go back or simply flash over top of DD-WRT or Tomato using the GUI?
Message 35 of 154
Highlighted

Since the update my R7000 will not speed test on the upstream portion of QoS. Any ideas why?
Message 36 of 154
Highlighted
Virtuoso

UKEE wrote:
How do I go backwards from DD-WRT or Tomato to this firmware? I know that there is a 'starter' firmware to go to DD-WRT or Tomato. Is the same thing needed to go back or simply flash over top of DD-WRT or Tomato using the GUI?

Just flash straight back from dd-wrt to stock firmware. You'll need to do reset to factory defaults, though, after the flash back before you can log into the router using the default credentials (admin/password).

For tomato back to stock you do need a special intermediate flash.
Message 37 of 154
Highlighted
Guide

Tomen8r wrote:
Firmware busted wireless access. Lan/Wan still work. USB HD no longer recognized. Tried rolling back to 2 previous versions of firmware. No luck. Had to hard reset to get wireless working again. Which is a complete pain in the butt. Total pain in the butt.

Now I am afraid to update to this latest firmware, as it will most likely break my router again. UGH ..

A Factory Reset (hard reset) is part of the recommended Firmware Update procedure. If you do not do it, any observed anomalies should not be blamed on the new Firmware.
Message 38 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

This new firmware still won't play my m4v/mp4 videos. Previous firmware can play these type of files without any issues. Think I'm going back to the old firmware again Smiley Sad
Message 39 of 154
Highlighted
Novice

rdh91007 wrote:
A Factory Reset (hard reset) is part of the recommended Firmware Update procedure. If you do not do it, any observed anomalies should not be blamed on the new Firmware.

Just to confirm, when I perform a factory reset I can restore my settings from a backup?
Message 40 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

karipay wrote:
This new firmware still won't play my m4v/mp4 videos. Previous firmware can play these type of files without any issues. Think I'm going back to the old firmware again Smiley Sad

how is that a firmware issue? wouldn't that be codec related?
Message 41 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

soap wrote:
Just to confirm, when I perform a factory reset I can restore my settings from a backup?

Yes, you can restore. I keep a dos window open to do a release/renew of ipconfig addresses.

I usually do a factory reset after upgrading firmware. This time, just to mix things up, I did a factory reset before the update.
Message 42 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

This firmware has an HP printer problem with it. It's connected wireless, an the HP printer and scan doctor can not find the printer, also some computers on the lan lost connection. When back to older firmware and fix the problem.
Message 43 of 154
Highlighted
Guide

soap wrote:

I do not restore settings after a Firmware update. I enter them manually.

I also do a Factory Reset both before and after a Firmware update.

Since I started doing the above I have experienced NO problems.
(I am not using the USB Ports.)
Message 44 of 154
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Just doing a reset to factory defaults before flashing doesn't make any sense to me. Who knows what happens during a flash; i.e. if you're really starting with factory defaults in nvram after the flash? I've always done a factory reset after flashing, and restored configuration settings manually. The only times I've reset before a flash were if I was having trouble getting a router to flash at all, and then made sure to do another reset after flashing. Resetting just doesn't take long enough to worry about. And the time saved by not resetting and manually re-entering configuration settings after flashing (or using a script that's designed to emulate CLI re-entering) is often lost troubleshooting problems that may result.

I've had very few problems over the years related to flashing itself, most all problems are from new firmware *smile*.
Message 45 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

CorePrime wrote:
how is that a firmware issue? wouldn't that be codec related?

I think it's the firmware. I can successfully play all my mp4/m4v videos (from the usb drive connected to the router) using the Roku media app with the old firmware but now they just hang. All my mkv files are working fine though.
Message 46 of 154
Highlighted
Novice

karipay wrote:
I think it's the firmware. I can successfully play all my mp4/m4v videos (from the usb drive connected to the router) using the Roku media app with the old firmware but now they just hang. All my mkv files are working fine though.

No problems here. I also have a usb drive with tons of media files and things are working fine.
Message 47 of 154
Highlighted
Master

Not sure if this is firmware specific, but logging in AP mode on the R7000 is minimal. I have wireless access box checked, but no specific events are logged on the 7000. Also, in AP mode system time is / does not set and, no way to check for firmware updates through router.
I am running Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52 on the R7000.
Message 48 of 154
Highlighted
Virtuoso

netwrks wrote:
Not sure if this is firmware specific, but logging in AP mode on the R7000 is minimal. I have wireless access box checked, but no specific events are logged on the 7000.

Yes, there is no "syslog"-type full logging on the Netgear stock firmware, not sure how the few items that are logged are picked. If you turn off "Operational" logging (mostly dhcp logging), there's very little to nothing there. When I've had problems, there's never anything in the log about them. This isn't characteristic of any particular firmware release, that's just the way that it is.

I've found that Netgear isn't the only mfgr. to "simplify" their logs, unfortunately, Linksys has done the same thing on their newer firmware. I've never seen anything interesting in the firmware log, so I pretty much ignore it.

I haven't used the R7000 as an AP, but yes, you do lose some router functionality when you use it just as an AP.
Message 49 of 154
Highlighted
Master

At this price point I would have expected to see the same logging as I do in "router mode" in AP mode. And, an NTP field would be a nice to have!
Message 50 of 154
Top Contributors
Announcements