Highlighted
Novice

Re: New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52

First, I am new to this forum so HI to everyone!

Just wanted to drop a note about my issues with the latest firmware. Have had my Nighthawk for almost a year now and use it with mostly default settings. I reserve a few IP's, change the SSID's and also have been testing out ReadyShare Vault functions but that is it. This router has worked just fine thru numerous firmware updates with this setup. A pleasant surprise after years of almost daily reboots with numerous Linksys routers. :rolleyes:

Upon upgrading to the latest firmware (1.0.4.18) I started having issues where the router basically stopped responding to anything for a time before starting to respond slowly, then failing again. At first I thought it an ISP/DNS issue (comcrap) but numerous changes in that regard didn't help. When even the admin page wouldn't load and ReadyShare Vault software would flag the external drive as disconnected, that told me it was much more than an ISP/DNS issue.

Everything "looked" normal in regards to the display lights on the router (lit, blinking, etc.), network links (wired and wireless) were still showing "connected", etc., but between 8 different internet devices all showing the same symptoms (phones, tablets, laptops, pc's) it was clear it had to be the router. Only by power cycling the router or hard resetting it, did I get it to start responding again for a while before doing the same thing.

I tried rolling back and then updating once again after hard resets before and after as some have suggested is the "proper" way to do this, but still have the same issues. I have now rolled back to the previous level (1.0.3.80) and everything is working/responding now for the entire day as it always has.

So at least for me, this version is a no go by any definition.
Message 51 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

Roger is right.
I see no value in a pre-flash factory reset.
There are some over on the ddwrt forums that do a reset, flash & reset again.
No one has been able to show me why it is a better method. I think its one of those things they do because its how they learned.
I recently read Kong said if you flash his latest from anything more than a couple revs ago to do a reset and at least 1 person asked if the reset had to be before or after. lol
Kongs response was "after".
Smiley Happy

RogerSC wrote:
Just doing a reset to factory defaults before flashing doesn't make any sense to me.
Message 52 of 154
Highlighted
Guide

I have a BUG in this Firmware not sure if it existed before.

My WLAN on 2.4 Ghz has a Time schedule from 04:30 till 23:00
My WLAN on 5.0 Ghz has a Time schedule from 04:30 till 00:00

On 23:00 my WLAN on 2.4 GHZ shuts down. But I loose connection also on my 5 GHZ wlan - I can reconnect but I always get disconnected when my WLAN 2.4 GHZ gets off.

I hope for a fix
Message 53 of 154
Highlighted
Novice

Did anyone ever figure out the mp4 dlna issue on new nighthawk firmware and how to fix it? I have the same issue. Thanks for your help if you figured out the fix.

karipay wrote:
I think it's the firmware. I can successfully play all my mp4/m4v videos (from the usb drive connected to the router) using the Roku media app with the old firmware but now they just hang. All my mkv files are working fine though.
Message 54 of 154
Highlighted
Guide

MatM wrote:
I have a BUG in this Firmware not sure if it existed before.

My WLAN on 2.4 Ghz has a Time schedule from 04:30 till 23:00
My WLAN on 5.0 Ghz has a Time schedule from 04:30 till 00:00

On 23:00 my WLAN on 2.4 GHZ shuts down. But I loose connection also on my 5 GHZ wlan - I can reconnect but I always get disconnected when my WLAN 2.4 GHZ gets off.

I hope for a fix

Hi,

Yesterday, I got a strange problem like yours.
When my 2.4GHz switched off automatically, I lost my 5GHz not scheduled to switch off.

It's the first time I see that so I'm not sure if it's really a bug.
May be my iPad was reconnected for another reason on the 2.4Ghz...

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 55 of 154
Highlighted
Guide

I tested and confirm.

When my 2.4GHz switch off (scheduled for), my 5GHz (not scheduled) stops and restarts...

Message 56 of 154
Highlighted
Guide

I've found a new big bug !

I've enabled the access security, and everything was working fine with all my devices, registered with MAC and IP addresses, until today.
Curiously, 3 device names (I gave manually to 2 tablets and my secondary router WDS linked.) have been erased.

I don't know if there is a relationship, but I used today the "Netgear Genie" software on my Android tablet, but to map the network only.

As my PC, plugged behind my WDS router, is not properly displayed by "Netgear Genie" and by the R7000 interface, I think something really wrong into the firmware...

Message 57 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

One problem: on the http://192.168.1.1/start.htm page, if I click on "Attached Devices", the router reboots. After the reboot it does show the attached devices. Did not have this problem with the previous firmware.
Message 58 of 154
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

if any 1 that fixes problems is here report this 2 bugs to netgear

1 slow thouroput since last firmware that was removed and in this new 1 also drops connection alot and recovers when on xbox live

2 if you set static ips to your stuff an have access control on if u then go and change ip to ur stuff it breaks the router after that it cant get ips from the modem and wierd stuff i had to disable access control
Message 59 of 154
Highlighted
Novice

Hi,

I have encountered some issues with this firmware,

1- IPv6 RA randomly and intermittently stops announcing the default gateway, computers (wired and wireless) stop passing IPv6 traffic and fall back to IPv4, sometimes it's start announcing again by its own, and sometimes it's cured only by a router reboot, this problem doesn't occur with the previous 1.0.3.80 firmware.

2- You can enable ovpn with ipv6 enabled, but if you enable ovpn first it wont allow to turn on IPv6. I'm not sure if the intended behavior it's to allow the use of ovpn with IPv6 on (in previous firmware it wasn't possible), maybe this it's a bug.

The first problem it's perceived as an "internet it's intermittent" problem, specially if the clients pc are using facebook or youtube,
Already downgraded the router to 1.0.3.80 because of this, 3+ days uptime and no more IPv6 intermittent problems.

-MaKpr.
Message 60 of 154
Highlighted
Luminary

Another bug which has been there since day one, if you make any wireless related setting change it will re-enable the WPS PIN every single time! :mad:
WPS is inherently insecure and should always be disabled. In fact, Netgear should just remove this feature completely, once and for all.
At the very least, fix this bug!
Message 61 of 154
Highlighted

Hello,

Even with this version, I still have packet drops while using Wireless (wired works fine). Having issues with every released version since I've bought this product a year ago Smiley Sad

All works fine, but after some hours (10+ hours), all devices start to see problems loading pages (while wired copper works fine). Only a reboot temporarily solves the issue.

Will try DDWRT or Tomato, because this is unbearable.
Message 62 of 154
Highlighted
Prodigy

Have to say I'm not seeing that, my R7000 has been up 5 days since I reloaded the latest firmware and all my wireless devices are operating fine, no reboot of the router is needed. Did you consider your router was faulty or get it exchanged?
Message 63 of 154
Highlighted
Aspirant

System Up Time 1 days 18:04:33

I just came out of bed and noticed pings went up from 1 to 9-10
Disabling my wifi and enabling didnt solve it'.
Rebooting router solved it, pings now <1 ms like they should be.
This shouldnt be hapening
=========================
Im no Expert, Im often wrong Smiley Happy
=========================
Message 64 of 154
Highlighted
Luminary

System Up Time 17 Days 17:16:45 since firmware upgrade to .52
- Modem Draytek Vigor 130
- Firewall/Router pfSense 2.3.1 (Supermicro A1SRi-2558)
- AP Netgear R7000 (Stock FW)
- Switch Cisco SG350-10
- HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
- NAS Synology DS1515+(5x5TB)
- NAS Synology DS213+ (2x3TB)
- Laptop AlienWare M17R2
Message 65 of 154
Highlighted
Novice

I posted before regarding this new firmware not having problems with playing media files. I was wrong!

The problem happened to me last night. Couldn't play mp4 or mkv files so I went back to previous 1.0.3.80 firmware and was able to play them again.
Message 66 of 154
Highlighted

I too had some streaming off my NAS issues with MKV's, AVI's and MP4's. Did not have issue with the trylan2 FW. Went back to trylan2 FW and no more media file streaming issues.

I can't explain it as I have no idea why the FW would impact streaming media files especially when I do not enable DLNA, Media server, etc on the router.
Message 67 of 154
Highlighted
Luminary

Have had to reboot the router after a few weeks of uptime. Wireless slowed to a crawl on all laptops in house. A reboot of router restored speeds.
Seems like this latest firmware has a memory leak. :mad:
The never ending saga of the R7000. This really is a piece of junk router, can't believe I bought 2 of them.
When is Netgear going to provide stable firmware?!
Message 68 of 154
Highlighted
Master

Squuiid, It has little to do with the router itself but rather with the firmware. That said, I have had no such issues here
Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 69 of 154
Highlighted
Prodigy

Not seeing that issue myself, the router is good but all firmware has bugs, look at the Asus board in smallnetbuilders, as routers get more complicated they have more issues. I had wan port drops but turning the router off for 30 minutes after a hard reset a reflash of teh latest firmware then entering my settings by hand then hard resetting the router seems to have done the trick. A bit long winded I have to say. Best thing is to report these issues to netgear or hope babylon5 picks them up.
Message 70 of 154
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not 100% sure if it's a router problem or client issue, 5g AC slowed from 866.7 down to 9 last week, router reboot did NOT work so I replaced with r8000 which did connect @ 590 which still wasn't @ my normal 866.7 I re-installed the client card and things seem to stable so far. Since I changed some FW when trying to do the fast fix on both routers I'm in the process of starting over and reinstalling FW on both.
Message 71 of 154
Highlighted
Luminary

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
I too had some streaming off my NAS issues with MKV's, AVI's and MP4's. Did not have issue with the trylan2 FW. Went back to trylan2 FW and no more media file streaming issues.

I can't explain it as I have no idea why the FW would impact streaming media files especially when I do not enable DLNA, Media server, etc on the router.

I don't have any problem to play files from my idevices and laptops. They play flawlessly avi, mkv and mp4 both with direct access to NAS or via Plex Client. I am using R7000 as a simple AP, Routing and Firewalling are made by pfSense appliance.
- Modem Draytek Vigor 130
- Firewall/Router pfSense 2.3.1 (Supermicro A1SRi-2558)
- AP Netgear R7000 (Stock FW)
- Switch Cisco SG350-10
- HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
- NAS Synology DS1515+(5x5TB)
- NAS Synology DS213+ (2x3TB)
- Laptop AlienWare M17R2
Message 72 of 154
Highlighted

Can't fully explain it either. But it was happening as others have posted. Not for all media files, just some. Something about the codec for those video files and the new FW just not playing well together.

Have no issues with the beta trylan2 fw however.
Message 73 of 154
Highlighted
Novice

I updated to this firmware and am having all sorts of issues.

Initially the firmware worked well - but logging on with one computer to my attached USB drive - it worked fine.
As soon as I tried to access again - the drive couldn't be accessed.
At the same time - the web interface worked as before with the first access - but as soon as the drive went down - the interface went down as well.

Internet connection stayed active during the whole time - for more than 24 hours but the interface could not be connected to again without unplugging.

I was forced to upload the old firmware again to have any sort of stability.

Very disappointing to have updates crash the router.
Message 74 of 154
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Rpeds, did you factory reset the router after the upgrade and re-enter settings manually?
Top Contributors
Announcements