New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52

Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52

I have two R7000s (#1 is original release and #2 purchased Nov 2014), #1 behind comcr*p gateway and #2 as an AP.
I updated to the latest fw from 38, and experienced the "wrong date issue", as well as sporadic internet connection. After rebooting, the date issue and internet disconnect problems are gone.
I was still failing ipv6 test 7/10. Exchanged Arris via isp, and received a newer version of Arris TG862G. After upgrading gateway, I am now able to get 10/10 on the ipv6 test site.
An issue I have experienced, is the isp changing my ip address (3 times in 2015), which forces me to power cycle my Arris TG862G and R7000s, so my phone & internet work.
I have 15 wired devices and 20+ wireless apple, android, linux, and windows devices working well through the R7000s.
This forum has helped me isolate and "fix" most of my router issues. I Thank and Appreciate all the helpful people/advice.

Have A Great Day
Clark
Message 101 of 154
Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

"I updated to the latest fw from 38"
FW 1.0.3.68_1.1.31 updated to latest fw 1.0.4.18_1.1.52
Message 102 of 154
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Great to hear that someone's getting good results *smile*.

Enjoy!
Message 103 of 154
Squuiid
Luminary

Wolf_666 wrote:
I am using R7000 as a simple AP, Routing and Firewalling are made by pfSense appliance.

+1. These R7000s are useless at firewall/wan duties but very good indeed at being a standalone Access Point and Bridge.

I too use pfSense as my router/firewall and configure my two R7000s as AP1 for WiFi devices around the house, and a 'bridged' AP2 to which I connect my AV equipment using LAN cables in the other room. This offers near gigabit speeds on these devices without having to wire the house with CAT6.

As APs the R7000s are amazing and almost flawless.
As router/firewal/DHCP/file sharing devices they are garbage judging by all the reported problems on this forum.
Message 104 of 154
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Squuiid wrote:

As APs the R7000s are amazing and almost flawless.
As router/firewal/DHCP/file sharing devices they are garbage judging by all the reported problems on this forum.

I guess it bears repeating that what you read in forums are from the few that are having problems out of the many owners of these routers (not just the R7000). And a few of them get their problems solved and are not heard from again. There are a lot of people that buy these and just use them and are happy. Also, there are most likely users out there that have problems but don't report them on this forum for various reasons...

For example, my only problem with my R7000 at the moment is a problem with my ISP, Comcast. Otherwise it is working really well with stock Netgear firmware, DD-WRT, and tomato ARM firmware.
Message 105 of 154
Wolf_666
Luminary

I agree with RogerSC.
I am a loyal Netgear customer, I had a lot of modems/router/switches in the consumer range. My most loved is a WNDR3700 with OpenWRT, my backup firewall/router. OpenWRT is far far better than DD-WRT...its firewall part is very good...unfortunatelly R7000 is not supported.
R7000 is an excellent router, with basic firewall protection....but is always a consumer hardware, I am fine with it, also with DD-WRT but I needed more control over my LAN/WAN and a stable VPN client. I also love to build appliances, I can also spend some money on that hobby....
This is why I build my own firewall with server grade hardware, spending more than 600€. If you are a home usere with budget limits, R7000 is an excellent choice and I strongly recommend it, together with all Netgear product line.
- Modem Draytek Vigor 160
- Router Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)
- NAS Synology DS1621+
Message 106 of 154
Squuiid
Luminary

I'm not exactly your average consumer either, nor is anyone who uses pfSense as their firewall I don't think 😉
However, I do think the R7000 has had more than it's fair share of firmware bugs. I had to work with Netgear over many beta revisions before they finally resolved the Airplay problems over bridge mode. It was a lot of ME doing the testing for them when really this should have been resolved prior to launch.
I think next time I'll save up and buy Cisco instead. Going with Netgear really wasn't worth the trouble.

--------------------------------------
Lian Li PC-V2130B • Antec HCP1300 Platinum PSU • Supermicro X10DRi-T • 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620V3 CPU • 4x Crucial 16GB CL15 DDR4-2133 ECC 1.2V • 2x Noctua NH-U12DX i4 • 1x LSI MegaRAID 9261-8i with BBU • 1x LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i • 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD • 2x Intel I350-T4V2 4-port NIC • APC Smart-UPS SMT2200i with AP9631 and Sanyo Denki 92mm 24VDC 22dBA fan mod • VMware ESXi 6.0 running Windows 2012R2 servers and pfSense 2.2.1 firewall VM.
Message 107 of 154
LeeH
Prodigy

Been running my R7000 since Nov 2013. It is a much better WAP than the gear my ISP provided. Still running V1.0.3.60_1.1.27 without problems. Will upgrade if/when a compelling new FW version is released.
Message 108 of 154
Hogan773
Novice

bjwierda wrote:
Pings went up and i got random disconnects from wifi.
Rebooting router solved it.

Ugh

This is what is frustrating

It is 2015

How can we still have routers that just "build up garbage" over time and then slow down. Isn't there a way to design them so they don't "build up garbage"? Or if not, can't we have something in the firmware that allows you to check a box and the router will do an automatic reboot every night at 3am or something when everybody is asleep? Again it is 2015....seems like a feature that could be added to the firmware. Instead I am supposed to remember to go reboot manually every week or so in order to "take out the garbage" on the darned router?
Message 109 of 154
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Some people do schedule a reboot every night, they're using firmware that allows that, like dd-wrt. Personally, I don't reboot until I have a reason. I like to see how long a router will stay functional without rebooting, although it isn't a big thing to reboot every 6 months or so *smile*.

If you really want to, you could use an external timer for the power to the router, they're cheap, and just have it turn off the router between 3AM and 4AM or something like that.
Message 110 of 154
TheEther
Guru

Hogan773 wrote:
How can we still have routers that just "build up garbage" over time and then slow down. Isn't there a way to design them so they don't "build up garbage"? Or if not, can't we have something in the firmware that allows you to check a box and the router will do an automatic reboot every night at 3am or something when everybody is asleep? Again it is 2015....seems like a feature that could be added to the firmware. Instead I am supposed to remember to go reboot manually every week or so in order to "take out the garbage" on the darned router?

While it would be trivial to add an automatic reboot feature, it will never happen. It's the equivalent of sweeping bugs under the rug.

What really needs to happen is for the serious bugs to be fixed. That's sometimes easier said that done. I've worked in software development for over 20 years and while programming languages and techniques have changed and even improved, bugs are still a constant. It's not uncommon for the software that you and I run to have been written a year or more before its release. Couple that with the reality that software teams are frequently forced to move onto the next project before all bugs are fixed leads to the very common circumstance that software is rife with bugs and that you and I are beta testers. :eek:
Message 111 of 154
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Ether, there’s also often an added complexity of being able (or not) to reproduce an issue. It’s not always absolutely necessary; sometimes bugs can be identified from the description of a problem, but typically if Netgear engineers can’t reproduce an issue then code fixes and subsequent retesting become much more difficult.
TheEther
Guru

Babylon5, I have no doubt that Netgear has a bunch of bugs that are simply unreproducible due to lack of information. After all, the R7000 is a consumer-level product, so core dumps and debugging logs don't exist. On the products I worked on, I had the benefit of both and it was still hard to quash all of the bugs. Memory corruptions were the hardest bugs to fix.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, I am running V1.0.4.18_1.1.52 and have not noticed any mysterious slowdowns or random disconnects on Wi-Fi.

Downstream QoS did seem to do more harm than good but I did not investigate it thoroughly, so I have no proof that it's broken.

I also had to disable IPv6. I believe that the problem is more with my ISP than with the R7000. But it would be nice for Netgear to fix ICMPv6 to allow PMTU to work or to provide separate MTUs for IPv4 and IPv6.
Message 113 of 154
swaaye
Novice

Wolf_666 wrote:
OpenWRT is far far better than DD-WRT...its firewall part is very good...unfortunatelly R7000 is not supported.

This is unfortunate indeed.
Message 114 of 154
01R
Luminary
Luminary

hey im on the older firmware cuz this new 1 is totaly buggy with speed n thouroput

but on V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 the xbox one is reporting an mtu of 1480 do all xbox one consoles report it that way or is it my router and the old firmware causing the problem ?

btw i have ipv6 enabled on this old firmware V1.0.3.80_1.1.38

any eta on new firmware thats newer then 1.0.4.18_1.1.52 and has all thouroput problems fixed ?
Message 115 of 154
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have to say I have not seen any slowdowns with the new firmware or throughput issues. Mine is flying along. All connected devices are working very well both AC and N. 5Ghz is much better on this firmware for me as well, and no issues with 2.4Ghz with my PS4. although there are bugs as all routers have. Did you reset and enter the settings manually when you upgraded?
Message 116 of 154
netwrks
Master

I agree. I have the current firmware running on the R7000, and I do not see any throughput issues at all, unless you enable QoS. That kills Cut Through Forwarding.. All my wired and wireless devices have no issue at all.
Message 117 of 154
FicmanS
Aspirant

My R7000 seems to be running pretty well with this latest version, nothing reportable at all. Wireless and Wired connections seem fine, been running for a weeks now no issues
Message 118 of 154
pepe999
Aspirant

This firmware looks really great. Over 520Mbps on a laptop upstairs and even a better signal than with the version before. Well done Netgear!!
Message 119 of 154
Killhippie
Prodigy

I knew I spoke to soon, the weird wan port logging drop happened again. Connection status shows 28 days router uptime 28 days and wan port uptime 7 hours 53 mins. Nothing in admin logs at the time of supposed wan drop. Something is not right with the way this version deals with its logs.
Message 120 of 154
Hogan773
Novice

Mine appears to be doing better now that I did a factory reset.

I don't remember for sure, but it is possible that when I upgraded to 4.18.1..1.52 a couple months back that I failed to do a factory reset just afterwards.

We shall see.....
Message 121 of 154
AmericanGamer
Novice

I'm seeing random ping spikes on mine with 1.0.4.18_1.1.52. Periodically, I will get between 250-700ms ping (to Google) for around 15-60 minutes, of which I don't get if I directly connect to my modem (I can switch back and forth to verify it's the router). Resetting to factory and restarting had no effect.
Message 122 of 154
RogerSC
Virtuoso

AmericanGamer wrote:
I'm seeing random ping spikes on mine with 1.0.4.18_1.1.52. Periodically, I will get between 250-700ms ping (to Google) for around 15-60 minutes, of which I don't get if I directly connect to my modem (I can switch back and forth to verify it's the router). Resetting to factory and restarting had no effect.

This may sound odd, but I'd suggest that you check to see if there's updated wireless interface drivers for the system(s) seeing this. This sort of thing can also be the client systems themselves.
Message 123 of 154
AmericanGamer
Novice

RogerSC wrote:
This may sound odd, but I'd suggest that you check to see if there's updated wireless interface drivers for the system(s) seeing this. This sort of thing can also be the client systems themselves.

I don't believe the problem is with the clients since multiple wired and wireless devices are having the issue...will take a look though.
Message 124 of 154
bjwierda
Aspirant

back again 🙂

Suddenly my internet speeds dropped. i can hardly internet

Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)

Wireless Network (5GHz a/n/ac)

Wired R7000

Wired Cable Modem

Every connection comming from the router is crap.
Connecting the devices directly to the Cable modem and everything is fine.
Yup i replaced the cables as well, and the cable works fine on the modem

Tested on 2 clients and a reboot did nothing at all.
I didnt do factory default yet, i will do this tomorrow but ....... comeon......

People of netgear, what is happening with my Award winning top of the line router.
My gaming beast, my little stress box
=========================
Im no Expert, Im often wrong 🙂
=========================
Message 125 of 154
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E