New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52

RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52

bjwierda wrote:
back again 🙂

Suddenly my internet speeds dropped. i can hardly internet

People of netgear, what is happening with my Award winning top of the line router.
My gaming beast, my little stress box

Well, I know what I'd do if that happened...first a power-cycle, and if that didn't help, a reset to factory defaults and re-entering my configuration settings manually.

What have you tried so far?
Message 126 of 154
ezkialrage
Novice

Im on the latest firmware V1.0.4.18_1.1.52. I am having intermittent signal drops from my r7000. every now and then the signal just goes out and then reconnects after about 5 seconds. its very discouraging trying to either play multiplayer games or stream on twitch.

the firmware was installed on a fresh router factory reset before and after the firmware install.
Message 127 of 154
bjwierda
Aspirant

😮 Qos was enabled 😮

Oops

Its fine now 😮
=========================
Im no Expert, Im often wrong 🙂
=========================
Message 128 of 154
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

QOS was....

Glad you figured it out. Traffic for my personal use as well as my business as I work at home runs through my R7000. Business has its own VPN, VOIP, etc., stuff. If I enable QOS in any way it totally messes up my business traffic flow.

With today's high speed broadband nothing about our family's use requires QOS anyway.
Message 129 of 154
01R
Luminary
Luminary

ezkialrage wrote:
Im on the latest firmware V1.0.4.18_1.1.52. I am having intermittent signal drops from my r7000. every now and then the signal just goes out and then reconnects after about 5 seconds. its very discouraging trying to either play multiplayer games or stream on twitch.

the firmware was installed on a fresh router factory reset before and after the firmware install.

i noticed this in the firmware that was removed and now this very latest fw it drops connection alot im back on the old fw cuz of this problem waiting to see if its ever fixed

u notice this more if u play games online
Message 130 of 154
theoak
Luminary

Well, I had to say this, but I had to flip back to an older version of NETGEAR firmware. I happened to have the "TRYLAN2" version.

I purchased a Zyxel USG firewall appliance. In short I needed more control over my firewall per device than what the R7000 comes with. Hence, I put the USG between my DSL and the R7000, flipped the R7000 to AP mode and thought the world would be good.

I have internal security cameras around my home that for the life of me would work for a while and then I would lose access to them. If I restarted the R7000, they would come back, but sure enough after a bit (sometimes minutes ... sometimes hours), I would lose them again.

With TRYLAN2, things have been stable for me for a few days now. With the current firmware I just could not get the R7000 to play nice for me in AP mode.

With just the DSL and the R7000 as a router, things were good to be honest. In AP mode though, I just could not get it to be stable. I did factory reset ... every trick that I could think of.

Love the USG by the way and the control I have per device. With the R7000 it was more an all or nothing type approach.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 131 of 154
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

"With TRYLAN2, things have been stable for me for a few days now."

Yep. Not sure what they've done but it is pretty good FW.
Message 132 of 154
theoak
Luminary

Well, I am a fan of TRYLAN2 ... super stable for me all week ... with the router in AP mode.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 133 of 154
mrfranc
Apprentice

Shamiro wrote:
A new version has been found. Do You want to upgrade to the new version now?
Current GUI Language Version: 1.0.3.80_2.1.38.1
New GUI Language Version: 1.0.4.18_2.1.38.1
Current Firmware Version 1.0.3.80
New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52
Release Notes:
1. [Enhancement] Supports remote access through the NETGEAR genie app. Note that you must download the latest genie app in order to use remote access.
2. [Enhancement] Improves the Installation Wizard: Adds access point mode detection and new firmware checking and updating.
3. [Enhancement] Supports 6rd IPv6, IPv6 dual stack in PPPoE, and the manual IPv6 DNS setting.
4. [Enhancement] Supports VLAN/Bridge.
5. [Enhancement] Increases the maximum port forwarding rule to 64.
6. [Enhancement] Supports the traditional Chinese language.
7. [Enhancement] Supports the XFS file system.
8. [Bug Fix] Updates the DLNA decoder library in order to fix the issue in which some DLNA media files can t play.
9. [Bug Fix] Fixes the port forwarding issue in which you can t use port 1194.

Link to download
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/r7000/ww/R7000-V1.0.4.18_1.1.52.chk
When are those features coming out to the R6700?
Message 134 of 154
mrfranc
Apprentice

Are those features ever coming out for theR6700?
Message 135 of 154
01R
Luminary
Luminary

Important messege for Babylon5

ya hey can u have netgear remove that awful new intro to the router that they have in this latest fw where it checks for routers n makes u wait 10 years be4 goin on to setting up the router i think thats a useless waste of time feature that should have never been added becuz its useless
Message 136 of 154
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

So far for me it isn't getting it right either. It thinks there's another one in the system and there isn't.
Message 137 of 154
Anti_Ultimate
Aspirant

An option to skip it and go straight to Genie would be enough
Message 138 of 154
Killhippie
Prodigy

I had no issues with it and it wasn't slow either, but it does seem to have been added for the sake of a new feature, tbh Netgear could add better things, like a antivirus style component like the trend micro engines in some of the Asus routers, the CPU would handle it, considering the AC68U can and that uses the 800Mhz version of the broadcom SoC found in the R7000.
Message 139 of 154
Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

theoak wrote:
Well, I am a fan of TRYLAN2 ... super stable for me all week ... with the router in AP mode.

I am curious, if this trylan2 is the previous fw, or a "new" trylan2 for an upcoming fw release? I had been utilizing a previous trylan2 on my R7000 AP, prior to the current fw release. The fw worked, but I was unable to make the power light stop blinking white and amber. I fixed by covering the light with electrical tape. I'm technically reclined.
Message 140 of 154
TheEther
Guru

Killhippie wrote:
tbh Netgear could add better things, like a antivirus style component like the trend micro engines in some of the Asus routers, the CPU would handle it, considering the AC68U can and that uses the 800Mhz version of the broadcom SoC found in the R7000.

I have no personal experience with Asus routers, but from what I've read, the Trend Micro engine is little more than a malicious site blocker. There's no way it could be actively scanning for viruses. Not only would an antivirus database not fit on the router, the engine wouldn't be able to scan encrypted sessions. It's no substitute for an antivirus scanner on your computer.
Message 141 of 154
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

The Trylan2 that's been mentioned in this thread is the same one as was available just before Netgear took down the FTP server. There's only one.

Number wise, and who knows if that means anything or not, it is numbered higher than the current released version.

I've not had any issues with the LED's. All work as expected.

Its fast, its stable, USB drives stay connected, wireless is strong. Only issue with wireless is some older wireless clients do not like the beamforming, airfairness stuff. But that is to be expected. I leave them off with no negative impact.

It is easy to find with searching and the actual name of the FW is in this thread.
Message 142 of 154
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

U might want to look in the 3rd party thread and follow the link to the RMerlin Asus FW port. It has the virus stuff to which you refer.
Message 143 of 154
Killhippie
Prodigy

TheEther wrote:
I have no personal experience with Asus routers, but from what I've read, the Trend Micro engine is little more than a malicious site blocker.

I beg to differ. Firstly it is not just a URL blocking, but includes IPS, they call it virtual patching but it's essentially network-based IPS. Second, URL reputation is different from any blacklisting. Blacklisting can only block known bad, but URL reputation can block even unseen sit by calculating its reputation. Third, it gets update for its IPS signature. this is all based off Trends Deep Packet Inspection engine, and most home routers have a basic SPI firewall not a DPI. The router is very effective at malware blocking as you can see here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0zqmTidmEs
Message 144 of 154
Killhippie
Prodigy

Cheers for that, I will. It would be nice if Netgear sorted out the wan issues and occasional drops that this last firmware seems to have added though, or at least came up with some features that make their routers stand out, instead of just using the same old tired GUI they do at the moment.
Message 145 of 154
RogerSC
Virtuoso

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
U might want to look in the 3rd party thread and follow the link to the RMerlin Asus FW port. It has the virus stuff to which you refer.

That was supposed to have been removed, or at least disabled in the R7000 port. RMerlin pointed out that it isn't open source, and shouldn't be available.
Message 146 of 154
Killhippie
Prodigy

It would also be great if in 'advanced' The DNS servers picked up automatically (recommended by my ISP) were actually shown in the order they are in Internet set up. My primary and secondary are shown the wrong way round in Advanced 'Port' This R7000 is so much buggier GUI wise than the R6300v2 its quite surprising.
Message 147 of 154
TheEther
Guru

Killhippie wrote:
I beg to differ. Firstly it is not just a URL blocking, but includes IPS, they call it virtual patching but it's essentially network-based IPS. Second, URL reputation is different from any blacklisting. Blacklisting can only block known bad, but URL reputation can block even unseen sit by calculating its reputation. Third, it gets update for its IPS signature. this is all based off Trends Deep Packet Inspection engine, and most home routers have a basic SPI firewall not a DPI. The router is very effective at malware blocking as you can see here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0zqmTidmEs

Thanks for the video. There seems to be some doubt whether Trend Micro's AiProtection feature on Asus routers has DPI. See here. This same guy also summarizes, here, each of the features of AiProtection and concludes that it's basically a URL filter. Now, this guy appears to work for a competitor so we should take what he says with a grain of salt. On the other hand, if you go straight to the Asus website and read what they have to say about AiProtection, I think you will conclude that this guy is probably right.

As far as URL reputation-based filtering is concerned, it seems to be based on scans performed by Trend Micro bots of known malicious websites and links to related websites, as explained here. I read somewhere that this has annoyed some website owners when bots descended on their site.

If you care about privacy, this post suggests that visited URLs are sent to Trend Micro for analysis. Now, an antivirus scanner on a PC probably does the same thing by sending URLs off for analysis, but in this day and age you can never be too careful about privacy.

Having said all this, I'm not saying that AiProtection is a bad feature. I'm just very skeptical that it is all that cracked up to be. We're talking about something running on a consumer router. It may be a useful, additional layer of security but it should never replace PC security software. Caveat emptor.
Message 148 of 154
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

"That was supposed to have been removed, or at least disabled in the R7000 port"

Don't have it loaded now, not likely to go back to it. As I recollect though I saw the little Trend Micro shield icon. Might be gone now.
Message 149 of 154
01R
Luminary
Luminary

TheEther,

u put way to many words but i have to say i stop using antivirus stuff alot of years ago it is useless i dont want it slowin down my pc why would any 1 want it slowing down the router ? until they can invent an anivirus that can scan so fast that it finishes be4 it starts then il use it but that wont ever happen
Message 150 of 154
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E