New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52

Killhippie
Prodigy

Re: New Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52

01R wrote:
u put way to many words but i have to say i stop using antivirus stuff alot of years ago it is useless i dont want it slowin down my pc why would any 1 want it slowing down the router ?
It doesn't slow down the router, that's the thing, those features are seem really useful with no noticeable overheads that the users of that router have seen. Since it also scans inside your own lan for possible malicious devices I would say that layer is great for the money. Also you can just switch it off...Id rather have the option than the features that were put in with Netgears last R7000 update.
Message 151 of 154
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Nod32 scans, pretty quickly, less than 20 minutes on my desktop. And I can use the desktop while it's scanning. Seems to work, but I agree that what one does on the internet is more important than virus scanners these days.
Message 152 of 154
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Since the router passes packets of data to a number of connected devices on the LAN, all interleaved during concurrent downloads, active scanning for viruses would require the assembly of that packet data into meaningful chunks, and which target CPU type would the assembly of data have to consider? Only a small proportion of devices on my LAN are Intel based PCs, everything else uses a variety of microcontroller or ARM type CPU, would a real-time AV scan be set to only scan data where an Intel PC is the destination LAN device?
Killhippie
Prodigy

RogerSC wrote:
Nod32 scans, pretty quickly, less than 20 minutes on my desktop. And I can use the desktop while it's scanning. Seems to work, but I agree that what one does on the internet is more important than virus scanners these days.
I would agree but also innocent sites these days are full of malicious code, as seen recently with repeated attacks on Jamie Olivers cooking site, so lots of innocent people travelling to an innocent site get grabbed by a nasty piece of malware injected into the pages they view, that scanner but into the router or on your computer still has its place, even though antivirus is not the real answer, it does not mean it should not be ignored in whatever flavour, and at the router is a good place to start.
I wish Netgear would at least look at this, its better than using a third party DNS provider and finding all your downloads are slow because Akamai thinks you are in another country or worse another continent when it looks for your nearest server.
Message 154 of 154
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E