Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New NightHawk X4S D7800 vulnerability

clariti2
Aspirant

New NightHawk X4S D7800 vulnerability

I just purchased the Nighthawk D7800, to replace the DLINK Viper.

And unlike the Viper, I have had constant drop-outs.  The logs indicate 'DoS attacks' and 'UPnP set event: add_nat_rule'.  Is this a vulnerability?

TO check, my ADSL2+ line was validated clear by an OPTUS technician onsite.  And this does not occur when the DLINK router is used.  With Netgear D7800, I have also moved the MTU to 1400 and set "always on" on the modem.

Please HELP!!!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
clariti2
Aspirant

Re: New NightHawk X4S D7800 vulnerability

Thank you, Killhippie.  It does put my mind at ease.  You are likely correct to say that this is a case of where the router is doing its job!

I will continue to monitor this over the next few days (it is a new router)..

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Killhippie
Prodigy

The above entries indicate the some device s using UPnP (Universal Plug N Play) to open/close ports on the firewall, this is perfectly legit as long as you are using a strong WPA2 AES password and have no malware on your computer, as thats what UPnP is for easy opening of ports but things connected to the internet. It can be a security risk but its probably not at all if your machine scans clean, I would not worry. As to the DoS attacks netgear routers are renound for seeing internet traffic as DoS attacks in the logs, generally more so with modems built in, but over time port probles will happen, so if someone is out there snifing, as long as you see those it means either its a false alarm or your router is doing its job.

Message 2 of 3
clariti2
Aspirant

Thank you, Killhippie.  It does put my mind at ease.  You are likely correct to say that this is a case of where the router is doing its job!

I will continue to monitor this over the next few days (it is a new router)..

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7