New Nighthawk Owner-Any Tips?

cravinmild
Aspirant

New Nighthawk Owner-Any Tips?

I have just purchased a Netgear Nighhawk R7000 from Staples for $179. I hope that was an ok price, it was local and prices are always a bit higher vs online.

The router worked out of the box, simple stupid setup 😉 I have no issues with speed with wireless (which I expected) and surprised me with making my wired connection somewhat faster. Wifi to the bedroom (30feet-3 walls) is full five bars vs the previous router of only three. I have no lag with Netflix or other media streaming to wireless devices. I don't think any of my devices can use the 5ghz band, that signal never seen when scanning for a connection, I have set 5ghz to broadcast 😉

This router is to replace a Cisco wrt610n which for the most part has worked well for many many years. Recently it was dropping connections ... not all, some wired things such as the tv worked but the pc wired did not. Constant rebooting, all lights pulsing and it was starting to affect my gaming .... which must NEVER happen.
I was honestly scared of the settings page for the 610n, I knew nothing of setting it up and had tried many times with never really knowing if it was doing anything at all. I settled with it just working and never pursued setting it up properly after that.

I was wondering if there are any things I would need to do in the settings which could help .... some simple little things to change in the settings to get a little more out of the router. I am fine with stock firmware, I don't understand routers at the best of times 😉

I don't use usb storage or any cloud stuff. I have a tv, ps3, and PC hardwired with three cell phones and two laptops and a PS4 wireless. BTW my nat type is 2 .... I think it should be open.

Thanks for any input you may have. I like the new router 😄
Message 1 of 11
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: New Nighthawk Owner-Any Tips?

Having the users manual might be nice.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...UM_12Nov13.pdf

You might want to reserve your devices IP addresses using the from the Advanced—Setup--LAN Setup—Address Reservation-- +Add screen. This would ensure your devices always get the same IP address and you can give them meaningful names.

Don't use the current Genie application. It has a bug that will crash your routers web page and you will have to reboot the router to get it back up. There is a fix in work to correct it. Stay tuned into this site and we will let you know when a new version is available.

The USB hard drive functionality is not working right yet for spinning disks. It seems to fail when trying to wake up the drive. I use USB thumb drives and they are working fine.
Message 2 of 11
LeeH
Prodigy

I checked the users manual link and it is broken (again:( ) Here is a good one at least good for a few hours, I hope. 😮

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_12Nov13.pdf
Message 3 of 11
cravinmild
Aspirant

Thanks for the linky Leeh 😉

I followed the "performance" suggestions but seems no difference but its not like I was having issues prior so im not really able to see any difference myself. Overall the router is quicker to the wrt610n I was using before. Only thing I notice to be lesser is my cell phone was quicker using wifi on the old router .... before the old one crapped out, I have less bars and at times will stall out while surfing.

It all seems to be working well and the router settings are easy to follow.
Message 4 of 11
LeeH
Prodigy

I've used both 2.4 and 5 GHz on my phone. I prefer the 2.4. It has better coverage and the speed difference is negligible. I get less bars with the 5 GHz and it can lag when I walk around with it.
Message 5 of 11
kenrok1
Aspirant

$179 is a great price... I have not seen it any lower than $199

As for your setup,

It's good practice to change your admin password from the default, but unless someone is already on your network its not much of a risk.

All the rest of the default out of the box settings work really well with Netgear so if you are happy I would say leave everything as is. It's good they come preconfigured with random unique WPA2 passphrases.
Message 6 of 11
cravinmild
Aspirant

kenrok1

It was a good price and local so im very happy. Pricebot showed several well over $250 so I considered it a steal.

The router is very good out of the box. I have tried some of the performance features also 😄

One thing I would like to do is better allocate network bandwidth for devices. When one user starts Netflix the web and other devices come to a stand still on wifi or wired. Funny though as I can have three instances of Netflix working at once combined wired and wireless and all are perfect with no lag or signs of slow down. Only when surfing or looking for online games servers its just a spinning bar of waitsomemore.

I would like my games from the wired pc as primary. I have a killer 2100 NIC and control bandwidth via that to free up bandwidth for other users on wifi if needed. Second is cell phones as they seem to be the most affected with slow downs. Next the wifes laptop as she is in another room using wifi. Lastly the PS3/PS4 wifi as nothing seems to cause lag or slow internet regardless of whats going on.
Message 7 of 11
Bigcid10
Guide

LeeH wrote:
I checked the users manual link and it is broken (again:( ) Here is a good one at least good for a few hours, I hope. 😮

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_12Nov13.pdf

I'm using a zipp500 usb2 drive ,basically a 2.5in sata drive in a enclosure
with no issues.It actually works quite well
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

16GB(4X4GB) GSKILL RIPJAWS4 DDR4 2400

Coolermaster silent pro1000 PS

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 4GB GDDR5

BenQ XL2720Z

2 Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB ssd Raid0 for OS

corsair 800D

Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Logitech Z-5500

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 8 of 11
aan1970
Aspirant

glad you said something about Genie I had a wndr4500 and received email about Genie and an update of firmware. I forgot to drop my firewall, and it stopped the download hope I don't make that mistake again. Went out yesterday and bought the r7000 Nighthawk. I downloaded Genie from web and it says I don't have a Netgear product or I am registered as a guest. But can anyone tell me or answer this we use a Microcell booster for our phones and the Ethernet light stays Amber but the Microcell shows all is good?????
Message 9 of 11
Lexist2112
Luminary

Yea your Microcell only has 10/100 port, not a gigabit port, so the amber light indicates your connected only as10/100. It's all good, just enjoy it 😄
Message 10 of 11
LeeH
Prodigy

The current version of Genie has a bug that crashes the routers web interface and you have to reboot the router. The router still passes traffic, just the web interface crashes.

Don't use the current version of the Genie application. A new version is supposed to be on its way to fix this.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E