Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New Official Firmware 1.0.4.14

I have raised a number of the issues that people have described in this thread with Netgear for them to analyse, if I have anything to report back I will probably post in separate threads since dealing with multiple issues / people in a single thread can a nightmare. I see that at least one of the issues ‘Doubleclick’ has already been posted as a separate thread, which is perhaps the best way to split out individual problems from this general discussion thread. I’m at work and don’t have the details with me, but I reported about five potential bugs, I will post the list here later today (about 9 hours from now). Netgear is appreciative of the feedback you have all provided, both positive and negative.
Highlighted
Virtuoso

jeroen_v wrote:
Are you using telnet from within your own network to the public IP of your router? If yes, then telnet works... Can you try this from another internet location to your WAN IP? I am pretty sure that doesn't work.

That makes two of us...my telnet port is in stealth mode for both TCP and UDP, according to the online scanners, not open. Since there's no response on that port even though internal telnet is open, no one can use it.
Message 77 of 136
Highlighted
Guide

I upgraded to the latest firmware without resetting to defaults and it does not seem like Telnet is enabled.

When I try to telnet locally "could not open connection to the host".

I also went to GRC.COM to run a Shields Up port scan and all of my ports were stealth, including port 23 for Telnet.
Message 78 of 136
Highlighted
Guide

DoctorX, Same for me, except I did a reset as I was coming from Kong DD-WRT build. Cannot telnet to router. Not sure why some folks can telnet and some cannot. I know that having telnet available is considered a security issue. One thing is when I scan for wireless networks the scan does not show WPS available like before, even though all things had been "turned" off. --bill
R7000 Firmware XVortex Merlin Port.

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 79 of 136
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

These are the issues I reported to Netgear; Post #3 Open VPN – investigating Post #5 Telnet enabled – see below Post #10 IPv6 Ping – investigating Post #26 Readyshare access rights – Bug to be fixed in next release Post #28 Low rate with R6300 – investigating Post #41 Doubleclick bug – Bug to be fixed in next release Initial investigations suggest that telnet may be enabled after the upgrade if a diagnostic version of firmware had previously been installed. Officially released firmware should not have telnet enabled by default, which would tie in with the findings of those people who factory reset as part of the install process where telnet is then disabled (if not already disabled). I will continue to monitor the thread and report any new issues.
Highlighted
Virtuoso

01R wrote:
when u do an ipv6 test u get this

Score
16 / 20

Missed this the first time around, just saw it due to Babylon5's summary of what's been submitted to Netgear *smile*.

I think that 16/20 on the IPv6 test page generally means that your browser is not using IPv6 as a preference. I always get 17/20 with R7000 on my desktop. The few times that I have gotten 16/20 it's been on my iPad, and reloading the IPv6 test page in my browser there has brought it up to 17/20. So I think that's due to something stale lying around that needed to be renewed.

By the way, on the Asus RT-AC68P on this IPv6 test page, I get 19/20, so the firmware there must be doing the right thing with ICMP packets. That's something that Netgear could look at *smile*.
Message 81 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can the email SMTP server be accessed via SSL or TLS?
Message 82 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Babylon5 wrote:
I have raised a number of the issues that people have described in this thread with Netgear for them to analyse.

Thanks very much for reading the posts here, helping, and especially for reporting problems to Netgear. I think that with your help, we will end up with better quality firmware for the R7000.

So thanks very much!
Message 83 of 136
Highlighted
Novice

RogerSC wrote:
Thanks very much for reading the posts here, helping, and especially for reporting problems to Netgear. I think that with your help, we will end up with better quality firmware for the R7000.

So thanks very much!

Agreed! Good stuff Babylon5.
Message 84 of 136
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks both of you,

What I am doing is part of a Netgear initiative, and as you might guess, I’m just one small cog in the bigger machine. There are a lot of people in the background at Netgear working hard, and very keen to support this.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ah great initiative! So we can all contribute to an even better firmware. Do they also accept suggestions/ minor additions to a firmware, that you provide them? I am really missing a port forwarding feature where I specify a source IP address in the R7000. I was hoping that with Telnet and using the iptables command I was able to do this myself... Unfortunately that doesn't work. Any chance something like gets implemented on this very powerful router or allowing iptables from the commandline? Thanks,
Message 86 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

been running this fimware for a little while now
my ftp to my nas is very slow 8mbps
was 100mbps thinking im going to go back to my previous firmware i think the speed seem slower as well
any one else see this??
Message 87 of 136
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Jeroen_v, Suggestions are always welcome, but there’s no guarantee they will be implemented. People can send suggestions to me by PM, but I would say it’s far better to start separate threads, stating that what is posted is a suggestion, and then other people on the forums can offer their opinion.
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An update;

Post 3 – Open VPN issue - This could be reproduced by Engineering, and could be ‘fixed’ by factory reset and manual reconfiguration.

Post 28 – Low rate with R6300 bridging – Engineering cannot reproduce this issue with R6300v2 as bridge mode, they always see 5G connection as 1300Mbps and 2.4G connection as 216.6Mbps.
Highlighted

"could be fixed"

Sorry but will it be fixed by and is it required then with this firmware to do full factory reset?

Or is it not for certain fixed by factory reset?
Message 90 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did the update but now my movies don't play on my external hard drive plugged into my nighthawk.

Is there a way to roll the firmware back? or fix the problem with the new firmware?
Message 91 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem...

karipay wrote:
This upgrade broke my video playing capability through Roku.

I attached a usb drive into the router and using the old firmware, Roku was able to play the videos I have in the drive. With the new firmware, videos just hangs.

Tried to refresh the media files but still wont play.

Is there a way to install back the old one (V1.0.3.80-1.1.38)? Should I just upload back the old firmware without any issues?

TIA!
Message 92 of 136
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
"could be fixed"

In the context of the rest of the sentence, 'could' in this case means 'was able to’; it’s not meant as an ‘uncertain’ use of the word.

Most firmware install instructions include lines relating to backing up settings and factory reset, I note that the instructions for this update make no mention of this. I will mention this to Netgear.

Steppin / karipay, I will raise this issue with Netgear. Have either of you tried factory resetting the router and manually re-entering settings? If not I suggest that you give that a try, after first making a note of all settings (screen grabs or save web pages).
Highlighted
Aspirant

So still no DFS support in Europe.:confused:

Oh well since this router is only on the market for about 18 months I guess the FW should hit beta soon, maybe then we'll see DFS in Europe:rolleyes:
Message 94 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello, I did the firmware upgrade, and every pc/smartphone/tablet in my household started getting the Netgear "log on page" when trying to access any website, whether it was a wired/wireless connection. I reset/power-cycled every device (phew!) as well as the router and the modem--the log on page still pops up.

The upgrade went fine, but to be on the safe side, I downloaded it and re-did the upgrade--no change.

I've checked every setting and can't find anything. I had to downgrade to the old firmware and everything is working again.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
Message 95 of 136
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

i just flashed the old firmware this new 1.0.4.14 is buggy as hell

if u do fix the doubleclick bug alos please fix the ipv6 bug with icmpv6 to

btw th speed is messed up to slow slow streaming from websites n webcams thru this new 1.0.4.14

also on the router has trouble gettin an ip from the modem old firmware didnt
Message 96 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Why is this firmware no longer listed on the R7000 support page??
Message 97 of 136
Highlighted
Apprentice

morinzo wrote:

When logging into the router admin page and checking for an upgrade, it no longer offers the 1.0.4.14 version, saying no update found. My guess is that the bugs uncovered here have caused Netgear to pull this version.
Message 98 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

morinzo wrote:

Good question...usually that means that there's some major thing(s) wrong with it, and they don't want more users to upgrade to it. Also means that there may be new firmware sooner than usual, to fix the problem(s).

Or it could just be a mistake *smile*. Short of information from Netgear, hard to tell.
Message 99 of 136
Master

RogerSC wrote:
Good question...usually that means that there's some major thing(s) wrong with it, and they don't want more users to upgrade to it. Also means that there may be new firmware sooner than usual, to fix the problem(s).

Or it could just be a mistake *smile*. Short of information from Netgear, hard to tell.

I run that version for close to 3 days here with no issues at all but I don't use some of the advanced features (VPN, QoS, Parental, etc) so there may be an issue in there somewhere

I just got the R7000 some days ago and first thing I did is update its FW, which put me on this version. Running like a beast so far Smiley Happy
Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 100 of 136
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements