Highlighted
Luminary

New Official Firmware 1.0.4.14

New Firmware Here

I noticed the R7000 download page above lists a new official firmware.

Below are the release notes:

New Features & Enhancements:
Supports remote access through the NETGEAR genie app.
NOTE : You must download the latest genie app in order to use remote access.
Improves the Installation Wizard: Adds access point mode detection and new firmware checking and updating.
Supports 6rd IPv6, IPv6 dual stack in PPPoE, and the manual IPv6 DNS setting.
Supports VLAN/Bridge function for Internet traffic.
Increases the maximum port forwarding rule to 64.
Supports the traditional Chinese language.
Supports the XFS file system.

Bug Fixes:
Updates the DLNA decoder library in order to fix the issue in which some DLNA media files can’t play.
Fixes the port forwarding issue in which you can’t use port 1194.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.5.1.16
Satellite Firmware: 2.5.1.16 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 1 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

New Firmware R7000-V1.0.4.14_1.1.50.chk

Download link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.4.14_1.1.50.zip

Release notes:
New Features & Enhancements:
Supports remote access through the NETGEAR genie app.
NOTE : You must download the latest genie app in order to use remote access.
Improves the Installation Wizard: Adds access point mode detection and new firmware checking and updating.
Supports 6rd IPv6, IPv6 dual stack in PPPoE, and the manual IPv6 DNS setting.
Supports VLAN/Bridge function for Internet traffic.
Increases the maximum port forwarding rule to 64.
Supports the traditional Chinese language.
Supports the XFS file system.
Bug Fixes:
Updates the DLNA decoder library in order to fix the issue in which some DLNA media files can’t play.
Fixes the port forwarding issue in which you can’t use port 1194.

Hopefully this firmware update will fix the issues some people have been having.
Message 2 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: New Official Firmware 1.0.4.14

I installed this update today and now my OpenVPN isn't working.
Message 3 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware R7000-V1.0.4.14_1.1.50.chk

Holy poopcakes!
Message 4 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hell yeah! Telnet is enabled.

Just sayin Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 136
Highlighted

I don't do OpenVPN so I can't check it.

I did check Telnet and it was still live. So if you want to overclock you can.
Message 6 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I downloaded and installed the new firmware from:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000#searchResults

Then configured it as normal, and noticed after that (surprise!) my web GUI was telling me that an update was available. Which I then installed. Apparently, at the time that I did this, the posted firmware image file named "R7000-V1.0.4.14_1.1.50.chk" actually contained an earlier version than this, I don't remember what it was, but I upgraded from it *smile*. Anyways, I finally ended up with R7000-V1.0.4.14_1.1.50, so all's well that ends well, I guess.

Hopefully, Netgear has corrected this mistake on their download site by now. And don't be surprised if you download new firmware and install it, and find that it's the wrong version and there's an update available.
Message 7 of 136
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

does it fix the slow down and the blocking of icmpv6 ??
Message 8 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

I can't even download the firmware. Extremely frustrating
Message 9 of 136
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

when u do an ipv6 test u get this

Score
16 / 20
How can you improve your score ?
1. Reconfigure your firewall
Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

there is no setting in the router to change this not in any firmware not even the recently released maybe it will work if i completely turn off the firewall ?
Message 10 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Never mind, no problem with the download site firmware file labeling, I see what happened. I had an earlier Beta with the version number "1.0.4.4_1..." in my firmware folder, and picked that one by mistake when I upgraded first time this morning. I could explain why that happened, but it's an intricate thing having to do with the difference in sort order that I use for the files in my firmware folder, and the sort order that router firmware upgrade thingie uses. It would take too long...

Anyways, sorry if I alarmed anyone (other than myself *smile*).
Message 11 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

rmilyard wrote:
I installed this update today and now my OpenVPN isn't working.

Enough of a reason for me to hold off, as OpenVPN is a critical feature, unlike the stuff added by this update.
Message 12 of 136
Highlighted
Novice

Downloaded and installed, blew all the security off the ReadySHARE setup, luckily just editing all of the defined shares and clicking OK returned the rights.
Message 13 of 136
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

since installin this firmware im only getting this speed but im payin for 50 soon to be 100 download wtf is happening is my router now broke ?

Message 14 of 136
Highlighted
Novice

I find testmy.net to be horribly inaccurate. Try a couple of local speedtest.net severs

Message 15 of 136
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

i think its the modem maybe im gona disconnect everything an report back in 1 hour
Message 16 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just installed and for some reason it is very slow to deliver up IP adresses to my wi-fi connected gear. Various macs, ipads etc just try to connect for minutes and the mac says no ip address. No access control on for the router. They do finally connect after a while. Curious
Message 17 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

As i had terrible ping times to the router on wireless with the previous firmware i downloaded this one

Pingtimes are terrible

Quote from the website

Accelerate your WiFi

Got game? Well, this is the router for you! Built with gaming, streaming and mobile devices in mind, this next generation gigabit WiFi router has a 1GHz dual core processor and delivers extreme speed so you enjoy less lag and less buffering. No matter where you WiFi, Nighthawk has you covered with Beamforming+ and built in high powered amplifiers and external antennas. With NETGEAR Nighthawk, get ready for the extreme!

Well, again i tested a ping to the router on my wireless N one meters away from the router.
The test was 10 minutes long but as i cant post the entire output due to forum restrictions ill show the you peaks i got in 10 minutes

Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=73 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=118 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=20 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=40 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=25 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=170 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=10 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=16 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=56 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=103 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=12 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=25 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=12 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=11 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=165 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=56 ms TTL=64
Antwoord van 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 tijd=21 ms TTL=64

When i test with 2 clients one might get 100ms while the other gets 3ms at the same time

There is no interference noticable with inSSIDER

Factory default have been set.

This should be an amazing router but i get better results with a 3 year old wireless router from a different manufacturer.
The reason i replaced that one is because it locks randomly.

This is such a good looking router and i was so proud when i unpacked it.

I dont know what to do
=========================
Im no Expert, Im often wrong Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

I wouldn't call those pings terrible but they could be more consistent. Why don't you give dd-wrt a try? Kong's always boasting about how he optimizes his builds for the lowest latency possible. You could always revert back to stock Netgear if you don't like it or if you run into that nasty random reboot issue.
Message 19 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

For a local ping the replies are terrible.

When i play Aion the whole game freezes for a while

Ill try the dd-wrt thingy, ill get back to you on that
Im no Expert, Im often wrong Smiley Happy
Message 20 of 136
Highlighted

senbec wrote:
Just installed and for some reason it is very slow to deliver up IP adresses to my wi-fi connected gear. Various macs, ipads etc just try to connect for minutes and the mac says no ip address. No access control on for the router. They do finally connect after a while. Curious

Well that is not good news.. Now I am not sure if I want to update now.. :confused::rolleyes:
Message 21 of 136
Highlighted
Luminary

Upgraded (coming from 1.0.4.5) and running smooth, so far. I confirm telnet is available.
Previous FW 1.0.4.5 was stable and outperformed any third party FW in terms of Wifi stability and speed, it was running for months without any reboot.
Just to avoid any discussion, I use my R7000 in a simple AP mode only, since I have a powerful router/firewall based on pfSense running on Supermicro board with Atom C2558 SoC which take care of security, VPN and routing.
- Modem Draytek Vigor 130
- Firewall/Router pfSense 2.3.1 (Supermicro A1SRi-2558)
- AP Netgear R7000 (Stock FW)
- Switch Cisco SG350-10
- HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
- NAS Synology DS1515+(5x5TB)
- NAS Synology DS213+ (2x3TB)
- Laptop AlienWare M17R2
Message 22 of 136
Highlighted
Luminary

@RogerSC Yes, I had a leaked version of 1.0.4.5 ... With this being 1.0.4.14 ... 14 > 5 so I assume this is a newer/better version. @bjwierda Yes, for a local network, I agree, those pings are terrible. With that being said, when I ping my router from a wireless PC I get "time=1ms" 95% of the time with the other 5% being "time<1ms". This is on a 5GHz channel which according to inSSIDer ... no one uses around here.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.5.1.16
Satellite Firmware: 2.5.1.16 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 23 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Firmware is working fine, but where is the update that adds DFS support which was promised MONTHS ago.
Message 24 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

bjwierda wrote:
For a local ping the replies are terrible.

When i play Aion the whole game freezes for a while

Ill try the dd-wrt thingy, ill get back to you on that

Yes, your ping times should be <1ms consistently to the router from a wired computer, and about 3ms or less for a wireless device...I'm wondering about your new router talking to your modem. If your old router had consistent low ping times, then your modem is most likely okay. Although you might check that by connecting a computer directly to your modem, and see what ping times that the computer gets then.

What I'd suggest to you is to turn off your modem and router. Leave them off for 5 minutes or so. Then turn on the modem, leaving the router off. Wait until the modem is fully up, and the lights on it have stabilized. Then turn on the router, and see what you have when the router has come fully up.

Sometimes when you change routers modems will initially have problems.

A couple other things, too. Make sure that the cable connecting your modem and router is at least cat5-e, you need GB cable between the modem and router.

And that after you reset your router to factory defaults, you manually re-enter your configuration settings, not use a saved configuration settings file if you're having this kind of problem.
Message 25 of 136
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements