Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: New Official Firmware 1.0.4.14

Installed, no issues.
Message 51 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Reset back to factory default and re-enter your settings manually. Telnet should be disabled.
Message 52 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

This firmware is the best I've seen so far and is the first one that does not re-boot itself when I have IPV6 DHCP enabled. I finally have a reliable and fast R7000. Thank you Netgear.
Message 53 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Anyone tried the VLAN yet or can provide a few screen capture. TIA
Message 54 of 136
Highlighted

What is WMM and where in the router is it located?
Aspirant

dallascowboysworldchamps wrote:
What is WMM and where in the router is it located?

WIFI Multimedia. It is located under the QoS Setup.
Message 56 of 136
Highlighted

Not sure that any user settings, settings that would clear with a restore to NVRAM defaults-reset, have anything to do with Telnet being enabled. It being so is not a user config kind of thing.

Some one at Netgear left the On/Off switch On.
Message 57 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
Not sure that any user settings, settings that would clear with a restore to NVRAM defaults-reset, have anything to do with Telnet being enabled. It being so is not a user config kind of thing.

Some one at Netgear left the On/Off switch On.

Not so. The setting appears to be in the saved configuration and will clear when you reset to factory defaults. Try it, you'll see.

Not sure how it gets set, but it's not the latest firmware. Had a long exchange with Netgear support and I did the factory reset and the telnet was then disabled.
Message 58 of 136
Highlighted

No thanks. I'm sticking with the trylan2 FW and Telnet is enabled.
Message 59 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

dlandon wrote:
Not so. The setting appears to be in the saved configuration and will clear when you reset to factory defaults. Try it, you'll see.

Not sure how it gets set, but it's not the latest firmware. Had a long exchange with Netgear support and I did the factory reset and the telnet was then disabled.

Well, that helps to explain why I saw telnet disabled in this firmware...I always do a factory reset to defaults. I was able to enable it, though, as I mentioned above.
Message 60 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

Anti_Ultimate wrote:
Firmware is working fine, but where is the update that adds DFS support which was promised MONTHS ago.

Same question. Where's the DFS support?
Message 61 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
No thanks. I'm sticking with the trylan2 FW and Telnet is enabled.

You do realize that telnet can be done over the internet to your router using your WAN IP address - with no password protection.
Message 62 of 136
Highlighted

Yes. Possible. Likely?

My router is behind my cable modem.

Anyone can hack pert near everything. I'm not worried about it however.
Message 63 of 136
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Unless your modem is capable of blocking unsolicited traffic, e.g. it is also a router, then port scanners will look for common ports, including telnet, as standard. Your risk may be much higher than you imagine. I have reported this issue to Netgear.
Highlighted
Aspirant

So people are sure that it's open on the WAN side as well as the LAN side?

Not sure why the option has to be removed at all. Sure, it's a consumer router but people who buy this type of hardware usually like to tinker with stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
Message 65 of 136
Highlighted
Luminary

I am behind a powerfull firewall, pfSense 2.2. No unsolicited traffic is allowed on WAN and only 1 client on LAN can access R7000 telnet port.
- Modem Draytek Vigor 130
- Firewall/Router pfSense 2.3.1 (Supermicro A1SRi-2558)
- AP Netgear R7000 (Stock FW)
- Switch Cisco SG350-10
- HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
- NAS Synology DS1515+(5x5TB)
- NAS Synology DS213+ (2x3TB)
- Laptop AlienWare M17R2
Message 66 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Just upgraded this firmware again, and did a reset to factory defaults before restoring my old configuration. Telnet is definitely not open, so no worries if you do the reset to factory defaults as mentioned.

Can't account for why telnet works if you don't do a reset to factory defaults, but this should be mentioned on Netgear's page for this firmware (that you need to do a reset to factory defaults after flashing it).

Unless you don't care, but there may be other problems in the future if you don't do the reset to factory defaults.
Message 67 of 136
Highlighted
Novice

Interesting that a reset to factory defaults disables telnet. I wonder if Telnet functionality can be restored by changing a value in a settings backup and then restoring that file.
Message 68 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

JAMESMTL wrote:
Interesting that a reset to factory defaults disables telnet. I wonder if Telnet functionality can be restored by changing a value in a settings backup and then restoring that file.

Could be, but it's a totally open telnet session, no login needed. That's the basic problem, most firmware that I've used (not all *smile*) allow you to login using telnet, using the router's admin password. This one just comes up logged in, ready to go. Not so desirable to have running all the time.

I've been able to enable telnet easily, though, using a python script. Not so easy to disable, all I've found so far is a reset to factory defaults *smile*. If you exit the session, it comes right up again with a new putty.

So for me, it's more an issue of being able to disable it in a way that allows it be re-enabled.
Message 69 of 136
Highlighted

"So people are sure that it's open on the WAN side as well as the LAN side?"

Don't know that anyone has said so positively one way or the other.
Message 70 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
"So people are sure that it's open on the WAN side as well as the LAN side?"

Don't know that anyone has said so positively one way or the other.

Yes. I,was able to do it.
Message 71 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

How did you do it? I used telnet on my phone with wifi off, and also tried an online scanner, and both timed out. I could log in from my LAN, but that doesn't count, we're talking about logging in from outside of one's own LAN.
Message 72 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

This upgrade broke my video playing capability through Roku.

I attached a usb drive into the router and using the old firmware, Roku was able to play the videos I have in the drive. With the new firmware, videos just hangs.

Tried to refresh the media files but still wont play.

Is there a way to install back the old one (V1.0.3.80-1.1.38)? Should I just upload back the old firmware without any issues?

TIA!
Message 73 of 136
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Karipay, yes, you can flash an older firmware without a problem. Just ignore the warning that tells you that that's what you're doing *smile*. One more thing, given that you're having a problem, I'd recommend that you reset your router to factory defaults and then manually re-enter your configuration settings.

On the other hand, if you haven't reset to factory defaults since upgrading to this firmware, you might try that, and then re-enter your configuration settings manually) before giving up on this firmware.
Message 74 of 136
Highlighted
Aspirant

dlandon wrote:
Yes. I,was able to do it.

Are you using telnet from within your own network to the public IP of your router? If yes, then telnet works... Can you try this from another internet location to your WAN IP? I am pretty sure that doesn't work.
Message 75 of 136