Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.100

Portwey84
Virtuoso

Well if I've read through some of the Community posts correctly, if you turn off broadcasting your SSID, then WPS is disabled. Not tried it myself.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 183
additude
Virtuoso

+++ 1) I can't seem to disable WPS.  When I uncheck "Enable Router's PIN (disabled because an attack is detected)" on the "Wireless Settings" page under "WPS Settings" and then click "Apply" it reverts back to checked.

Is there some other way to disable WPS?" +++

Try using a different browser like Chrome, Safari, the Nighthawk app...

Message 27 of 183
Thornado
Apprentice

Here is a thread explaining more about the WPS issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Can-t-disable-WPS/td-p/495976

Message 28 of 183

Greetings,

I remember seeing this behavior a few times on FW revisons between 1.0.7 and 1.0.9.  I skipped 1.0.8 branch all together because it was so bad. 

My R7000 is on our boat so I don't have it here to test with.  After making the change, and applying, have you tried gracefully restarting?

I think I finally got it to turn off, but do not remember how, sorry.

Message 29 of 183
DoctorX
Guide

Thanks for the responses.

I think this issue is different than the one described in the link provided by Thornado.

The posts in that thread indicate the checkbox is disabled (grayed out) when SSID broadcast is disabled. In my case, SSID broadcast is enabled and so is the checkbox.  When I uncheck the checkbox and click apply the setting doesn't stick.

And as Additude has suggested, I've tried multiple browsers (IE, Chrome, Chrome mobile, Samsung mobile browser)  All behave the same.

And finally, as Shadowsports has recommended, I have rebooted the router a couple of times since updating the firmware.

Does anyone think Netgear will release any more updates for this aging model?

Message 30 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

None of us know whether or not Netgear will release any more updates for the R7000. This is a Community Forum with as far as I know, zero input from Netgear themselves. It's seemingly taken long enough for Netgear to update from V1.0.9.88, an update I did not bother to upgrade to from my factory installed version, v.64 because I've only owned my router for two months before this new firmware arrived.

This latest firmware update is not causing me any issues whatsoever and my update went without a hitch. I get it that not everyone has an easy time of firmware updates, but anyone can mitigate certain issues just by carrying out some basic preparation prior to committing and pressing that upgrade box. I'm not even sure why anyone would need to carry out multiple reboots either, prior to or after updating. That said, I suppose this model has been out for some time and undoubtedly models manufactured in the last couple of years may well contain different chips/components than models manufactured a few years previously, and these factors may or may not have an influence. My R7000 was only manufactured in March last year, so perhaps it's in better shape than a model several years older.

Message 31 of 183
Thornado
Apprentice

Here is NG's statement about 'How do NETGEAR Home routers defend WPS PIN against brute force vulnerability':

"NETGEAR home routers will protect themselves after several failed attempts to authenticate as an external registrar by entering a lock-down state. During the lock-down state, all WPS attempts using the Router PIN will not work. The router will return from the lock-down state after a predetermined time period. While the NETGEAR device is in a lock-down state, users can still use the WPS Push Button method to connect to the wireless network".

https://kb.netgear.com/19824/How-do-NETGEAR-Home-routers-defend-WiFi-Protected-Setup-PIN-against-bru...

Message 32 of 183
DoctorX
Guide

From that article:

Since only the Router PIN method is vulnerable to brute force attack, NETGEAR recommends disabling this function to best protect your network from invasion.

To disable the Router PIN method:

1. Login to the router GUI by typing www.routerlogin.net on an Internet browser's address bar. Note: Default logins are: Username = admin, Password = password.
  2. Go to Advanced Setup menu and select Wireless Settings.
  3. Under WPS settings, put a check mark on Disable Router's PIN box.

Note: If your model does not have a "Disable Router's PIN" option, uncheck the "Enable Router’s PIN" box instead.
  4. Hit Apply button to save settings.

This is what I'm trying to do, but the "Enable Router's PIN" checkbox refuses so stay unchecked.  This was working on my router before upgrading from firmware v1.0.9.34. 

So I can choose to protect myself from WPS vulnerability or all of the vulnerabilities addressed in the more recent firmware revisions.  Is it too much to ask to be protected from all known vulnerabilities?

Message 33 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Out of pure curiosity, I decided to try the uncheck 'Enable Routers Pin'

There is clearly a bug here. I too can confirm that it does not stay unchecked on this new firmware. Unless of course Netgear have deliberately decided that this feature cannot be unchecked, but if that was the case, why have the option there in the first instance?

I never tried to uncheck the box on my previous firmware, v.64, so I cannot know if this is a carry over even from that firmware which preceded V1.0.9.88.

Message 34 of 183
Thornado
Apprentice

Yes, I share your frustration about wireless-functions like WPS is not working as expected on every update. But so far the latest firmware 1.0.11.100 has been rock solid and I haven't noticed any major issues. Stable, secure and speed is the most important to me, and I feel the WPS issue is more annoyance than a security risk.

Message 35 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

I can only agree with Thornado's comments. This current firmware works absolutely fine for me in every other respect.

You never know, someone from Netgear might be reading this thread and investigate, or should I be holding my breath on this for weeks or months?......

Message 36 of 183
DoctorX
Guide

@Thornado wrote:

"... feel the WPS issue is more annoyance than a security risk."

That depends on the number and sophistication of the hackers in your neighborhood. Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 183
shoman94
Apprentice

I agree it's an annoyance, I'm just happy that everything else is working great!
Message 38 of 183
Thornado
Apprentice

@DoctorX wrote:

@Thornado wrote:

"... feel the WPS issue is more annoyance than a security risk."

That depends on the number and sophistication of the hackers in your neighborhood. Smiley Happy

I do know my neighbours, they barely knows how to start a computer Smiley Very Happy

Message 39 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Incidentally, Netgear have just released an update to the Nighthawk App. I have just updated it on my XR.

I have just taken the time also, to send an email to the Netgear team pointing out the apparent firmware flaw regarding the check box for 'Enable Routers PIN'

To be honest, I'm not expecting a response, but I thought it was worth a punt letting them know.

Message 40 of 183
czonin
Tutor

Updated to this yesterday day from V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 and all was running fine until I had a random reboot earlier today which is the same issue I had with all previous versions. I ended up rolling back to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44.

I just found this thread and saw that you were supposed to reboot before updating so I did that and now trying the new firmware again. Hopefully the issue will be resolved now.

Message 41 of 183
shoman94
Apprentice

You rolled back for one random reboot? 😆

For me a resetbeas important also. Reboot, update, reset, then perform all my settings manually. Not one blip is 48 hrs.
Message 42 of 183
jerel2k20
Tutor

I installed the .100 yesterday morning and about 630pm this evening we lost 5G network availability.  Only 2.4G network was available.   I rebooted the router and 5G available again.   Same behavior with my equipment on the .88 firmware upgrade.   Any ideas?

Message 43 of 183
czonin
Tutor

I mean ya, after running that older version for over a year with no issues to having this new version for a day and having the router reboot.

Message 44 of 183
shoman94
Apprentice

Did you restart the router before updating? Did you perform a factory reset after updating?
Message 45 of 183
shoman94
Apprentice

I had the same problems with every firmware after 1.0.9.42 but I never gave up after on reboot. Did you reboot it before upgrading? Have you tried performing a factory reset then reset your settings manually after?

I am having a better overall experience. Even Ethernet is working better with a sensitive app I have been having issues with.
Message 46 of 183
Thornado
Apprentice

@jerel2k20 wrote:

I installed the .100 yesterday morning and about 630pm this evening we lost 5G network availability.  Only 2.4G network was available.   I rebooted the router and 5G available again.   Same behavior with my equipment on the .88 firmware upgrade.   Any ideas?

Do you have 'Smart Connect' option enabled or disabled?

Message 47 of 183

@shoman94 wrote:
Did you restart the router before updating? Did you perform a factory reset after updating?

If you really want to be thorough, it might not be a bad idea to:

factory reset>reboot>firmware flash>factory reset

And do not even think about restoring a saved configuration.

Message 48 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Yesterday, I decided to have a play with the Nighthawk App during which I enabled the Smart Connect feature. I wish I hadn't! For about 20 minutes it caused me a bunch of problems, and before anyone says anything, no, it was nothing to do with the latest new firmware, it was me mucking about with the App which I should have just let be. But yes, enabling it, I lost 5ghz band because it grouped all of my devices under 2.4g as it is designed to do. I ended up having to reinput passwords for my Amazon devices on 5g along with a couple of other devices. I won't be enabling Smart Connect ever again, not either from the web Admin page or via the App, too much hassle!

Message 49 of 183
Bill_
Aspirant

I upgraded from 1.0.9.42 to 1.0.11.100 yesterday and noticed a significant decrease in bandwidth.

I performed a factory reset->reboot->firmware update->factory reset and then made sure QOS was disabled.  My set up is Internet->Google Fiber Box->R7000.  Previously with this setup I was seeing wired download speeds well north of 300 mbps down.  After this update my wired download speed is 90 mbps down at best.  When I plug my PC directly into the Google Fiber Box, I am seeing download speeds of 750 mbps down.

I've since rolled back to 1.0.9.42 but I still don't have the download speeds I used to have.  At this point I'm running out of ideas to try before I just up and buy a new router.  Has anyone been able to restore their download speeds?

@Dustin_V @Christian_R  Any thoughts here?

Message 50 of 183
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7