Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.100

Portwey84
Virtuoso

@JWS9518 

Whilst it is obviously good for you that your router is back to its former self, potentially, it could be security compromised because it won't have the latest security fixes. I guess it's trying to strike a balance, a stable router or running out of date firmware with potential security holes. Just make sure you've got decent anti-virus etc.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 151 of 183
shoman94
Apprentice

@iFrog wrote:

@microchip8 wrote:

You can load FreshTomato on the R7000 and have hardware acceleration too (CTF). Works great last time I tried it

Thanks for that tip, i'll give it a try.  I've always had good success with the open firmwares when I've tried them.  I started with DD-WRT, now i'll test out Frest Tomato.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.

What path did you follow for install.  Would you mind laying it out?  I have never used one....

Message 152 of 183
JWS9518
Apprentice

@Portwey84 

It is 6 yrs old and Made In China

I totally agree with you..  I try to keep all my devices with the latest firmware, including this router, for the very reasons you outline.  Unfortunately, like others, the firmwares after .42 have been nothing but problems for me and I have no idea why. 

If the firmware makes my internet useless, it doesn't matter if it fixes security issues or not .

It is unforunate that Netgear is unresponsive to firmware issues that they create unless you pay them for support after 90 days.

Message 153 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

I'd actually be really interested to know when Netgear switched production of the R7000 from China to Vietnam and whether or not ultimately, this has had an effect on the success or failure of firmware updates.

Message 154 of 183
JWS9518
Apprentice

It would be interesting to know if a manufacturing location or chipset versions created issues or not....but you would also think that Netgear could easily determine that by determining which users are having issues and narrowing down the issues from user errors to actual firmware issues.  

The interesting thing with my router on the latest firmware was that it seems to detect one of my devices attempting to connect to the network and recognizing it as an intrusion of sorts...blocking and/or rebooting the router....which is what I have seen in the logs...which usually erase after the reboot as well.

Message 155 of 183
microchip8
Master

@shoman94 wrote:

@iFrog wrote:

@microchip8 wrote:

You can load FreshTomato on the R7000 and have hardware acceleration too (CTF). Works great last time I tried it

Thanks for that tip, i'll give it a try.  I've always had good success with the open firmwares when I've tried them.  I started with DD-WRT, now i'll test out Frest Tomato.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.

What path did you follow for install.  Would you mind laying it out?  I have never used one....

You flash the initial FreshTomato firmware file. If successful, you flash the full AIO one (All In One) file

If you need support for Tomato, this is the place to ask: https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?forums/tomato-firmware.33/

Message 156 of 183

@microchip8 wrote:

If you need support for Tomato, this is the place to ask: https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?forums/tomato-firmware.33/

Anyone contemplating a move to that firmware should heed that advice and visit that place.

No reason for not discussing third party firmware here, but Netgear doesn't support it, there aren't that many true experts, and the people who know this stuff have their own bolt hole.

Relying on conversations here could be dangerous, especially when you want to ask about recovery options should you decide to revert to official firmware.

Reading about issues before you take the plunge is a good way of preparing yourself for the move.

Message 157 of 183
James721
Luminary

@michaelkenward wrote:

@microchip8 wrote:

Anyone contemplating a move to that firmware should heed that advice and visit that place.

No reason for not discussing third party firmware here, but Netgear doesn't support it, there aren't that many true experts, and the people who know this stuff have their own bolt hole.

Relying on conversations here could be dangerous, especially when you want to ask about recovery options should you decide to revert to official firmware.

Reading about issues before you take the plunge is a good way of preparing yourself for the move.

Very helpfull information.  

Message 158 of 183
iFrog
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@microchip8 wrote:

I tested FreshTomato this morning, and didn't have a good experience with it.  It's not that I myself had any issues installing and configuring it, it's got issues with the wireless drivers and was not able to get any kind of good speed, and the wired connections were slower than normal as well.

That's why I went back to DD-WRT, and posted screenshots.  Out of the box speed will suffer there too for wireless clients, however I was able to configure it with the right settings to get speeds equal to or better than stock firmware either from Apple, or Netgear.

I can't speak for someone with gigabit internet, however I pay for 400 down and 20 up, and I'm getting more than that, especially on the hardwired devices, and the laptop.  iPhone 7 Plus, and iPad air 2, are hit or miss, however since I fixed the settings, I rarely get under  something in the 300's now for down.  The upload speed stays consistant.

Message 159 of 183
Bottz
Tutor

After installing 1.0.11.100 my 2.4 and 5ghz would stop working daily. A hard reboot of the router would fix the problem temporarily. I ended up downgrading to .88. I'm also starting to hate this security software Netgear is pushing. Maybe it's time to move on..
Message 160 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Bottz

It's entirely hypothetical, but the firmware issues might be affecting older routers disproportionately. From what users on this forum have indicated, these R7000 units have been made in different factories in different countries, some in China, some in Vietnam.

Just because one router looks identical to another doesn't necessarily mean that the components used inside are identical. Over the years, electronics and components change. I'd be surprised if a router made 5 years ago and one made within the last 12 months stripped down side by side, would be utilizing exactly the same electronic components. There have been advancements in WiFi tech and components over the years. Who's to say that the wireless components used haven't altered between batches built between 2014 and 2020? This may or may not have a bearing on whether firmware updates will have the same degree of success between identical models of different manufacturing years from different factories. Maybe this is the reason why my own router for example, isn't suffering any ill effects at all from the latest firmware update.

Message 161 of 183
iFrog
Guide

@Portwey84 wrote:

@Bottz

It's entirely hypothetical, but the firmware issues might be affecting older routers disproportionately. From what users on this forum have indicated, these R7000 units have been made in different factories in different countries, some in China, some in Vietnam.

Just because one router looks identical to another doesn't necessarily mean that the components used inside are identical. Over the years, electronics and components change. I'd be surprised if a router made 5 years ago and one made within the last 12 months stripped down side by side, would be utilizing exactly the same electronic components. There have been advancements in WiFi tech and components over the years. Who's to say that the wireless components used haven't altered between batches built between 2014 and 2020? This may or may not have a bearing on whether firmware updates will have the same degree of success between identical models of different manufacturing years from different factories. Maybe this is the reason why my own router for example, isn't suffering any ill effects at all from the latest firmware update.

The fact there are routers like the R7000 that allow you to choose which OS to run on it, like you would any other computer is something I enjoy.

I may like the hardware spects of both a computer, or even a router in this case, but may have issues, or just not like the stock firmware/ os.

The issue I have with most consumer routers has mainly been, the quality of the hardware, and / or firmware / os.

In the case of the R7000 I first tried FreshTomato firmware, as suggested on this thread, but that wasn't a good fit, and I had issues with speed.  So, I went back to DD-WRT, which I had run on my R7000 last year for several months straight.  After going back, I regained great speed and stability, and because DD-WRT doesn't support WPS, I don't even have that functionality anymore to deal with, which was another ocmplaint here on this thread.  At the end of the day, for me, I considder my issues resolved at no cost to me, other than time, to manually configure  settings stock firmware either doesn't have, or try to do for you, and also reading about settings and how to set them.

With this said, I plan to do this the more professional way when I needs a physical new router, by getting a wired only router, and a seperate asccess point so I don't have to depend on one device for both, especially if there are wireless problems than it won't take down the whole network to fix.  (At least, it shouldn't)

Message 162 of 183
Bottz
Tutor

I'm all for experimenting with 3rd party firmware. My issue is with Netgear sending out an official firmware update that hasn't been properly tested. Also, if Netgear has different hardware in different revisions of the r7000 then they should have made a different model number with different firmware all together. I guess I'm just frustrated beings that the wife and I are both working from home and rely on wifi. I just struggle to accept this result after installing an official firmware from the manufacturer that made the device, that's all I'm saying.
Message 163 of 183
Adel96
Aspirant

Hi There
I update my router to this update and I still experiencing WiFi drop off and no internet I have to restart the router to get WiFi working ?
Thank you
Message 164 of 183
Bottz
Tutor

Welcome to the club. Your best bet at this point would be to downgrade your firmware. I'm using .88 and it seems to be working well.
Message 165 of 183
Adel96
Aspirant

Hi 

Thank for replay 

i have the same proble before i updated i assume if i update the firmware will resolve it but no it ddnt .

thank you

Message 166 of 183
Bottz
Tutor

Maybe try going back to an older firmware. I have read that people have had success with .42. Also, do this at your own risk. One of the main reasons for a firmware update is to patch security flaws.
Message 167 of 183
Adel96
Aspirant

Thank you 

Message 168 of 183

@Bottz wrote:
Also, if Netgear has different hardware in different revisions of the r7000 then they should have made a different model number with different firmware all together.

It is called the R7000P.

Message 169 of 183
Bottz
Tutor

I understand that Netgear has different models with different firmwares. It sounds like people think that there are different variations of the r7000 with different hardware. This could explain why some people have success with the latest firmware and why some don't. Either way, this all come down to Netgear doing a poor job testing their firmware before releasing, otherwise I would have a usable router on 1.0.11.100.
Message 170 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Bottz  To be absolutley clear neither I nor anyone else knows whether or not Netgear have specified different internal components to the exact same model of router since it was first introduced. Car manufacturers make changes to components on vehicles on the assembly line. It's perfectly possible to have two identical cars made on the same production line several weeks apart that might have had changes implemented, either through modification necessity or a change of supplier, that is why when you go to purchase a part for a vehicle, you should always supply the VIN number of the vehicle. This is why personally I'm doubtful that my 2019 built R7000 AC1900 router has the exact same identical hardware in it as one that was built in 2014/15/16 or 17. Only a full strip down of one that came out of the factory last week against one built 5 or 6 years ago is going to provide that definitive answer.

If there have been component changes since the first R7000 AC1900 model was produced a few years back, then we as users will never know. It could even be that Netgear when they produce a firmware update aren't aware that component changes might cause firmware update issues between routers of the exact same model several years apart. You'd think Netgear would be aware through extensive testing but we don't know what their internal testing procedures of the firmware are. They might be testing the firmware on a router that's only a few weeks old from the factory, not one that was produced six years ago.

At the end of the day, users do at least have a choice whether or not to update the firmware on their kit, but if a firmware is offered by the manufacturer, then it should be tested thoroughly on different production year models (of the EXACT same model) to ensure there are no bugs. Netgear don't delete all older firmware from their own support pages each time they release a new firmware. On the one hand, they're offering an update with 'fixed' security patches but on the same page, they're giving users the opportunity to rollback to an older firmware still stuck(I'm assuming) with the same security flaws that they have allegedly fixed on newer updates. It confuses the bejeebys out of me if I'm honest!

And to make things absolutely clear, I'm solely referring here to the R7000 AC1900, not the R7000P. Although similar, they are different models of router providing different specs.

Message 171 of 183
ErwinL2
Aspirant

Hello,

I had problems with the 5Ghz always losing internet connection and updated the firmware now to V1.0.11.100_10.2.100 . Dit all according the manual , but I still am having the same problem, any ideas?

Quite annoying when working from home and being in a call almost all day. My wife and I are thinking of replacing the device because we can't keep on working like this

Thnaks for all the help I can get.

Kind regards,

Erwin

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 172 of 183

@Portwey84 wrote:

And to make things absolutely clear, I'm solely referring here to the R7000 AC1900, not the R7000P. Although similar, they are different models of router providing different specs.

Different brand of core chipsets.

Message 173 of 183
Portwey84
Virtuoso

This thread could quite literally go on and on. Basically differing groups of users across a global market experiencing different outcomes applying official firmware to the same model of router and for the sake of clarity, the R7000 AC1900, though this could equally apply to any model of router that is identical in a particular product range.

The router has been available for sale for some considerable period of time, several years in fact. It has been produced in at least two different countries that we are aware of.

The internal components from the very first models manufactured to the latest leaving the factory, are absolutely identical in every respect. Anyone care to do a complete tear down of two identical routers made 4 years apart to see if this is the case?

Netgear test their firmware on identical routers that are several years apart in terms of production to ensure that the firmware functionally works on a router that was produced six years previously, the same as it does on a router that left the factory yesterday? Only Netgear can answer that one.

Some users quite literally upgrading firmware probably for the first time ever, in some cases leapfrogging numerous updates only to find that the latest firmware is not applying correctly or has become corrupted or has led to their router 'bricking'. Why is this happening? no one knows. There is as we now know, a procedure/solution in place to return a 'bricked' router back to a functional state as long as the correct procedures are followed.

Some users may or may not be carrying out firmware updates via hardwire ethernet but are carrying out firmware updates via WiFi/using the App or 'trusting' that the auto update feature will handle the firmware update properly without any problems. Again, entirely user choice how one handles the update side of things. Some users may not be following the correct update procedures at all and thus causing the problems themselves. Only the end user has the answer to that one.

Different settings are being used, so some users have firmware updates enabled for auto updates, some have disabled auto update, disabled UPnP, turned off Logs and various other 'tweaks'. No one really knows what settings will work best, it seems the user has to either 'trust' default settings or take advice from what others have tried.

We don't know if all router owners keep their WiFi clients up to date. Whether or not their phones are utilising the latest os or their pc's are running up to date os or have the latest WiFi drivers etc. If I use my own laptop as an example, it has various Intel components including the WiFi drivers. I utilise the Intel update service frequently and my WiFi drivers have been updated numerous times over the last 4 years that I've owned my laptop. I'm not having WiFi issues on any of my devices, my router isn't 'dropping' 5g wireless. Perhaps I'm just lucky? The answer simply is, I don't know.

Reading through a lot of the threads, many R7000 AC1900 owners swear by firmware v.42 stating it is the most stable firmware. That's an all encompassing analysis. That may well be the case for them for a router that is a few years old, but it may not be applicable to a router that was produced last week. The 'advice' to rollback to an earlier firmware version should be viewed with caution. In effect, if like mine your router left the factory last year on v.64, why would I 'rollback' to a version the router never had in the first place? Doing so could potentially introduce issues that were never there in the first place. At the end of the day, Netgear don't pull their old firmware updates but allow users to rollback to a whole list of official firmwares they've released over the years. Commonsense would say only ever rollback to what your router left the factory with.

So, what would the advice be to anyone reading this thread? Well of course at the end of the day, it's down to you, the user. Do you take the risk of updating your 5 year old router to the latest firmware because Netgear have 'fixed' security holes and updated things like the GUI only to potentially end up with problems you never had in the first place, or do you just leave things be and stick it out on an older firmware that works for your particular router? You could of course update your ageing router to the very latest released firmware and suffer no ill effects whatsoever! The choice is entirely yours but remember, for every person that claims they've suffered problems with the latest firmware update, there will be plenty of owners who will have had an entirely successful  update, myself included.

So it's easy to claim a piece of kit is an absolute bag of bolts, but at the end of the day, the kit is only as good as the support provided to it by the manufacturer, firmware included! and of course the end user who ultimately needs to ensure they carry out the correct procedures when performing functions such as upgrades.

Message 174 of 183
Bottz
Tutor

Oh boy, I don't know where to start..

This thread should go on forever, or as long as necessary for Netgear to take a second look at this firmware and resolve issues that a large number of their users are experiencing when upgrading.

I absolutely cannot get onboard with the excuses. If Netgear does the testing you speak of, then the firmware should be usable on all r7000 routers. They clearly aren't testing to the standards of a product in this price range.

No one should have to 'risk' updating their router to enjoy security patches that they paid for when they purchased the router. And asking people to downgrade is risky.

Also, putting the blame on the end user isn't the right move here. Ultimately, if Netgear offers multiple options to update firmware and they offer different settings within the firmware, all of it should be functional, for everyone.

With that being said, I understand that mistakes happen. All we can do now is wait to see if Netgear will resolve the issue.

Message 175 of 183
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7