Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.100 - hang problem solved

Portwey84
Virtuoso

Re: New R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.100

@Bottz  Let's not take things too literally here. My previous post merely raised hypothetical views, testing being one. I, you, nor anyone else knows what testing Netgear do and how involved that testing might be.

Unless someone does a teardown on two identical routers of the same product range built several years apart, then who does actually know whether or not the internal components used are exactly identical in every respect? Again, we don't, so we have no idea whether or not this has an impact on the success of different firmwares.

Asking people to 'rollback', well I would never personally ask anyone to rollback to any specific firmware, merely pointing out that I don't personally see the point of rolling back further than what the router left the factory with. All that said, if you read through the threads, there are plenty of references to other Community users stating they've rolled back to a specific firmware. Sometimes these admissions could be misconstrued as 'advice' and some users might believe rolling back to a firmware their own router never had in the first place, could be a cure for their router problem.

Blaming the end user? Well not specifically, but it it could be true that some users don't follow the correct procedures for updating firmware and no one should be afraid to raise that as a possibility of a failed firmware. However other factors might influence the sucess of upgrades, environmental factors or other equipment used in the setup which may not have been sufficiently upgraded to interact properly. Effectively, a whole load of variables.

'Risk', yup I absolutely accept your argument. There shouldn't be any 'risk' involved, but unfortunately there is an element of risk in everything we do, firmware updates are absolutely no exception in my opinion.

Personally, I don't have any issues with the Netgear products I currently utilise, i.e. my router or my ethernet switch. Believe me though, if I do encounter an issue, I'll raise it directly with Netgear.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 176 of 183
Bottz
Tutor

I agree. I've been using this r7000 for 4 years, it's probably time to upgrade hardware. Can I ask what you went with?
Message 177 of 183
Thornado
Apprentice

@Bottz wrote:
I agree. I've been using this r7000 for 4 years, it's probably time to upgrade hardware. Can I ask what you went with?

ASUS RT-AX56U

Message 178 of 183
microchip8
Master

NETGEAR does not do any firmware testing as it oursources development to DNI (Delta Networks Inc) which does the "testing" (note the quotes around it)

Message 179 of 183
NomadPgmr
Aspirant

I have not had to reboot my R7000 in about a week now. I just happened to notice in the logs that it was failing to connect to the default netgear NTP server. I pointed my device to a public NTP server and have not had to reboot it since doing this. I hope this helps others who are having similar problems.

Message 180 of 183
JWS9518
Apprentice

Yes fixed my issues too... I went back to .42 Smiley Tongue  

No reboots or errors since I downgraded.

Message 181 of 183
Bl1985
Guide

Hello,

same issue here in Austria. I had an Austrian offical NTP Server, which was down for a day, so the R7000 hangs up, no internet connection over WiFi, no GUI access. Reboot the R7000 an saw that NTP Server problems and also after the restart, the internet connection doesn't work, rechecked on the LTE internet on my mobile, that the NTP Server was down. Then restart the R7000 again, put the default Netgear NTP Server and apply it. After a reboot of the R7000 internet connection is up again. But i also didn't trust the default NTP, because if it is also down, as you pointed out here, I think it would also hang up the routers internet connection, or reboots the router itself. Maybe I want change the NTP server to a public server pool, like at.pool.ntp.org. Maybe in this pool the router uses more NTP servers to look for the correct time and had no problem again when query the time from NTP Server, and never failing to connect to internet, or rebooting itself.

But for me, Netgear has to solve the problem in the firmware with the NTP and the timezone. This is a rudimentary feature in a "computer" und should not make any problems. If the NTP server is not reachable, because it is down or something else, the R7000 needs to stay at the same time, since after the next time the R7000 is syncing again to the NTP and gets correct time signals! And not hanging up itself , if there is no sync possible with the NTP!

Come on Netgear, do your job!! There are too many problems with R7000 since .42 firmware. And since 1.0.11.100 there is the problem again with disconnected devices still display as connected after a period of time, not in the attached device site, in the access control site! It was better on 1.0.10.90! But this firmware version was rejected. On my R7000 on 1.0.10.90 there were many reboots, every day.

Now on 1.0.11.100 there are no reboots. The only problem was the NTP server problem and the problem where disconnected devices still display as connected after a period of time in access control. After the NTP problems i also turned off upnp, because i do not need it and i think i could maybe open some port for scanning or hacking my router, and then it also reboots itself. But I don't see an better effect for the r7000 so far.

I'm thinking about to change my hole system, R7000 an EX7000, to a AVM Fritz Box system like 7590 router and 2400 extender.

Message 182 of 183
patoberli
Apprentice

Here my bad experience with the new firmware and the AP running in Bridge mode:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-dropping-5Ghz-randomly/m-p/1914049#M15...

Message 183 of 183
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7