Re: New Firmware Version 1.0.4.30

IrvSp
Master

IrvSp wrote:
In this new version all of a sudden every day I see posted in the log that I'm under a LAND attack:

============
[DoS attack: LAND] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [142.197.xx.xx], Tuesday, Jun 16,2015 14:10:27
============

Some days only once, others more than once:

===========
[DoS attack: LAND] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [142.197.xx.xx], Monday, Jun 15,2015 10:50:15
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.5)] to MAC address 9CSmiley Very Happy2:1E:5B:xx:xx, Monday, Jun 15,2015 10:12:54
[DoS attack: LAND] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [142.197.xx.xx], Monday, Jun 15,2015 10:00:54
===========

I'm pretty sure it is bogus but it does show my WAP IP address for the attack which is normal. Logging does not show the port or capture the packet but without one can't be sure.

Anyone else see something similar?

I didn't get any response for this but I think I've tracked it down. I was testing BufferBloat at www.dslreports.com/speedtest#nada and had left QoS on for U/L. A few days ago I noticed that it was still on and turned it off. Since then, NO DOS attacks at all.

Played with that setting today and when on I do get attacks. If someone does have QoS on could you check the log and see if you have any attacks?
Message 51 of 149
Ryrynz
Aspirant

LeeH wrote:
Doing this has worked for me too. For 2 year s in November.

LOL. I've done multiple upgrades on my unit never done any resets on it. It's 100% stable. Sounds like a waste of time to me.
Message 52 of 149
Ryrynz
Aspirant

Hey Netgear could you add a power LED only option that also shows the WIFI LED? Would be nice to tell at a glance if it's on or off. Thanks.
Message 53 of 149
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ryrynz wrote:
LOL. I've done multiple upgrades on my unit never done any resets on it. It's 100% stable. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

There are many hundreds of cases posted in these forums where factory resets and re-entering settings manually after a firmware upgrade has resolved issues, so all I can say is that you should consider yourself lucky for not having to reset, it is after all strongly implied in the upgrade instructions that this may be necessary in some cases;

"1.Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually."
GrayWolf
Aspirant

Agreed. I've had to hard-reset my router a few times, as well. It's not a 'waste of time' to me, either. In point of fact, the Netgear firmware is structured to make reconfiguration by hand relatively quick-and-painless for those of us who stick to pretty simple configurations.
Message 55 of 149
Killhippie
Prodigy

Ryrynz wrote:
When netgear mention to do it there is a reason, even Asus routers need it done. System level changes can make things go a bit screwy sometimes if you dont, I had a glitch recently that a re-flash seems to have sorted it I hope, and once again I always reset, also if there are driver updates its something that needs to be done to make sure everything has been updated properly so you have lessened possible conflicts, lots of people on forum find a reset cures a lot of issues.
Message 56 of 149
LexenZ
Aspirant

Was hoping this upgrade would help me, but as again, the update upgrade failed Smiley Sad no idea why
Message 57 of 149
RogerSC
Virtuoso

LexenZ wrote:
Was hoping this upgrade would help me, but as again, the update upgrade failed Smiley Sad no idea why

What failed? The flash itself? Or the firmware after the flash? If it was the flash, I'd suggest resetting the router to factory defaults before flashing (as well as after). And multiple tries to do the flash can also help.

But that's just a guess until you're more specific about what actually failed.

Thanks.
Message 58 of 149
skier150
Aspirant

I just picked up the R7000 and was curious as to the most stable firmware revision. I have had a few Netgear routers in the past and a lot of time the most recent was not the most stable. Any insight would be be appreciated.
Message 59 of 149
Retired_Member
Not applicable

skier150 wrote:
I just picked up the R7000 and was curious as to the most stable firmware revision. I have had a few Netgear routers in the past and a lot of time the most recent was not the most stable. Any insight would be be appreciated.

I am using XVORTEX Firmware, the signal strength is way better than Stock/Tomato/DD-WRT, my home network speed got much better (not internet - it has stayed the same), no reboots (not even 1), boots up very very fast, DHCP gives IP to my devices very fast, ... .
I don't use built-in VPN services or DDNS or ... , so I can't help you with that, but I would recommend you, check this firmware, you won't regret it.

Good luck.
Message 60 of 149
LeeH
Prodigy

I am running V1.0.4.28_1.1.64 and it is stable for me. Always reset the router using the recessed button on the back of the router both before and after flashing firmware. You must hold the reset button for several seconds until the power light is blinking.
Message 61 of 149
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

That kind of reset is not necessary on these ARM routers. Reset is done via FW option.
Message 62 of 149
RogerSC
Virtuoso

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
That kind of reset is not necessary on these ARM routers. Reset is done via FW option.

Not necessary, but it works. I like using the reset button, myself. And if you can't log into the router web interface, it's convenient to use the button.
Message 63 of 149
Killhippie
Prodigy

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
I find that using the FW reset is not always as *clean* as a hard reset using the button on the rear, I had an issue awhile back I think caused by a bad download, and using the FW clear didn't deal with it, where as the button reset button did.
Message 64 of 149
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

"And if you can't log into the router web interface, it's convenient to use the button."

That's apple and oranges though.

People of course are free to do as they wish. There has been caution out there about doing hardware reset bricking these ARM routers.

Not going to bother finding the link because people as noted can do as they wish.

FW reset to defaults, update FW, FW reset to defaults, configure new.

Always cleans out the relevant changed nvram values-settings, which is the point of doing a reset, and does not require hardware button push reset.

If pushing the reset button is your thing, push away.

Smiley Happy
Message 65 of 149
skier150
Aspirant

Ok, another newbie question on this router. Why do I see some places refer to an ARM CPU, and some places refer to a BROADCOM CPU? Are there 2 different versions?
Message 66 of 149
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Broadcom has licensed ARM architecture to use in their new SOC CPU cores. So now Broadcom has new ARM-based chip sets.
Message 67 of 149
skier150
Aspirant

RogerSC wrote:
Broadcom has licensed ARM architecture to use in their new SOC CPU cores. So now Broadcom has new ARM-based chip sets.

Interesting... thanks for clearing that up.
Message 68 of 149
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

I'm confused. You talking new as compared to the ARM based units we have now?

My understanding of the next wave, we see some of them now, is that its more like a computer within a computer. All the custom FW guys can do is mess with the computer that controls the interface, the GUI, etc. The actual wireless part, brains, radios, drivers, etc., or the brains of them is untouchable.

Which is different than these ARM based units.

Could be wrong of course. But that's what I understand.
Message 69 of 149
Killhippie
Prodigy

microchip8 wrote:
Install XVortex fw. Problem solved. Rocking 42 days uptime without single issue
Well I managed 22 days up time on the R7000 using stock latest firmware, then it dropped the wan port Tuesday night while I was out at the cinema, as usual nothing in the admin logs, it makes the mind boggle as to why. :confused:
Message 70 of 149
microchip8
Master

Killhippie wrote:
Well I managed 22 days up time on the R7000 using stock latest firmware, then it dropped the wan port Tuesday night while I was out at the cinema, as usual nothing in the admin logs, it makes the mind boggle as to why. :confused:

don't get your hopes up of getting anything out of that log. It's mostly useless. I'm on my 65th day uptime on Xvortex and again not a single issue

I think there is something very odd in the stock fw for it to drop the WAN. I got the same thing while I was still fighting with the stock. Better move on and stop worry Smiley Happy
Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 71 of 149
Killhippie
Prodigy

I think so, its just I don't like giving up and like to try and work out why these drops occur. I mean the Mac was asleep, wifi on nothing was doing much of anything. Logs do seem useless they show nothing but DHCP requests never even show a port scan when I use shields up. Netgear should really look into thins. At 21 days I thought I had made it :rolleyes:
Message 72 of 149
Wayne1938
Tutor

Just a question.
Has anyone ran to into a speed problem with the 1.0.4.30 firmware and the R7000?
It may be a coincident, but since I updated to that firmware my speeds have been all over the place. Re-boot and everything is back to normal for about 24 hours then the trouble starts all over until I re-boot again.
I am on Comcast extreme tier and normally get around 177 down and 24 up.
Now my download is all over the place, but my upload stays steady.
Just curious.
I installed an old Netgear 37AV just to see if indeed the trouble is in the router.
:confused:
Message 73 of 149
Wayne1938
Tutor

It has been about 14 hours using the old router and it has been steady both down and up. Things would be starting to degrade on the R7000 with the 1.0.4.30 by now.
So it's the firmware causing my problem or the router itself.
What is the best way to go back to a previous firmware version?
I know I can do a hard reset and start from scratch, but thought there may be an easier way.
Message 74 of 149
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Wayne1938 wrote:
What is the best way to go back to a previous firmware version?
All you got to do is flash the old version using the router web admin GUI "upgrade firmware" functionality. Then do a reset to factory defaults, and manually re-enter your settings. You do it the same way that you would do an upgrade to a newer version of firmware.
Message 75 of 149
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements