Re: New R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.30

netwrks
Master

@madhatter wrote:

not being critical of this forum, it's that over the last few years this word has become as over used as the phrase "at the end of the day" ...  or "jusst saying" 

Someone needs to Champion the robustness, of this stuff..   😉

Message 126 of 149
KaneLuna
Aspirant

upon updating to the firmware version i have noticed my router keeps dropping signal throughout the day a pretty significant amount of times (six times now in the past nine hours). Everything connected to it will drop signal for a few minutes, the router lights were flicker red, off, and then back on normally once more in the span of about sixty seconds.

Message 127 of 149
netwrks
Master

@KaneLuna wrote:

upon updating to the firmware version i have noticed my router keeps dropping signal throughout the day a pretty significant amount of times (six times now in the past nine hours). Everything connected to it will drop signal for a few minutes, the router lights were flicker red, off, and then back on normally once more in the span of about sixty seconds.

Good idea to reset to factory default after a firmware upgrade and manually re-enter your router config.

Message 128 of 149
KaneLuna
Aspirant

ok thanks for the suggestion i'll give that a try 🙂

Message 129 of 149
netwrks
Master

TO Everyone... Reading the release notes you will find among other things,  fixes to wifi, which would imply a change in some way to drivers. Good idea to reset to factory default so that all the new changes can correctly load. Rebuild your configs from scratch. Only then will you truly know if the firmware is crap or not. Save your self the grief and include reset to factory default and reconfig from scratch as part any firmware update. Don't load a saved config from a previous version of firmware, onto a new version of firmware.

Message 130 of 149

Some people, myself included, were still impacted after a time consuming factory reset

Message 131 of 149
Killhippie
Prodigy

I'm not affected by this at all, if you have tried everything suggested here I would would contact Netgear as maybe there is a hardware fault possibly. Or some odd hardware incompatibility between different builds but I would have thought that unlikely. Who knows though with Netgear though, if you have warranty I would use it
Message 132 of 149
01R
Luminary
Luminary

need eta on new firmware this firmware is bugged   since upgrading to this firmware the wifi is slow n bugged also when playing xbox live u get tons of these  >> DoS attack: Smurf like tons the whole log fills up even if u change ur ip u gets tons of those and the others called ddos storm or somthing so when is netgear gona fix it ?

Message 133 of 149
Killhippie
Prodigy

Have you looke up what smurf and storm DDos attacks are? Netgear can sometimes see legitimate packets as something else but equally they could be attempts to do bad things, as to bad wifi I am having no issue but everyones setup is different within reason. What are your settings? You dont have to use stock firmware either. Try Xwrt Vortex or Tomato. google and you shall find.

Message 134 of 149
horvatsa
Aspirant

JamesGL,

When I was running the following:

MODEL:       R7000

FW Version: V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

My 5G was unusable. The SSID was rarely broadcasted and when it was it kept prompting me for the password for that network. I would enter it correctly, but it still kept prompting me. I downgraded to the .28 firmware and 5G is up and usable again without any problems. I will admit that I did not try the factory reset option as I did not have the time. I have approximately 10-12 devices connected at all times to my network.

Thus, I am guessing this was a firmware issue. Resetting the router to factory settings after each firmware upgrade seems time consuming and not very user-friendly, but if that solves the issue with the .30 firmware, I will set aside time to do it.

Message 135 of 149
LeeH
Prodigy

Recommend you stay on the .28 firmware for now.  Don't try to upgrade if everything you want is running good.

Message 136 of 149
tw9855
Aspirant

Too bad I didn't check this forum before wasting my time upgrading to 1.0.4.30 from V1.0.4.18.  Immediately started getting problems on 5Ghz.  SSID would disappear and devices would lose connectivity.  Downgraded back to V1.0.4.28 and seems ok for now.

Message 137 of 149
jsmiddleton
Guide

Where is the improved/fixed firmware?  Its been quite some time now.  I'm not the type to ask every week.  But I do keep an eye on developments reported in other forums regarding Broadcom's core code, etc., that Netgear uses.  Has this router been abandoned by Netgear?

It really has been quite some time and several improvements made in the Broadcom core.  

Netgear?

Message 138 of 149
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

NETGEAR released a beta firmware that you can try. Please check the link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-firmware-v1-0-5-44-limited-release/td-...

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 139 of 149
ringlord
Apprentice

Dear NETGEAR

Are you aware of the fact that a lot of users have the same problem of unstable Wifi at 5Ghz?

If you cannot get 5Ghz Wifi stable on my R7000, is that a valid reason for me to return my router and get my money back?

The most recent beta firmware does not solve that most important issue for me (and for a lot of others).

Can this problem be hardware-revision related since not all users seem to have this problem?

Thanks.

Message 140 of 149
mondenath
Prodigy

Hi Ring

5ghz problem may be hardware issue. But to issolate do this.

Reset the router to factory with current 4.28.

Flash the 5.44 firmware and reset again

Just setup basic features and see if the devices are able to see 5g. dont try same devices . try another devices which can support 5ghz say a laptop or mobile or tab or even usb adaptor.

For the time being ignore frequently facing issue device to issolate if router or device. As most time device might also not scan well or driver issue in OS due to recent upgrade would lead to this issue.

To get it right you might need to test a device which was never used or hardly used with 5g band instead of 2.4ghz band as distance devices works or connects better with 2.4ghz than 5g as it may not see at all.

Message 141 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

my general rule with routers is that if I get one and it doesn't work, I send it back.  There are too many variables for a vendor to completely test before releasing a product or firmware.  I've standardized on R6300v1's for example after the R7000 did not work for me. I have 4 x R6300's that in total cost me $240 and they work great.  With the R7000 a couple of my wireless devices just would not connect.

So, yes, get rid of it while you can.

If in the future things change and people say it is now working, you can always buy it again, though I suspect by then there will be something better on the market.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 142 of 149
ablatt
Apprentice

I have my 5GHz mode set to 'Up to 600Mbps' and haven't had an issue with iPhones, MACs, PCs at 5GHz.  Someone at some point suggested that the mode might make a difference.

Message 143 of 149
tivoboy
Guide

Isn't there already a newer product..?? the R7500, R8000, R8500, thining we're going to continue to get any quality support on a four generation old product is probably silly at this point.

Message 144 of 149
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I wouldn't call the R7000 a four generation old product. For the performance (ac1900), it is the right product at the right price point for a category of users. The other models, R7500, R8000, R8500 are higher performance for different situations, this doesn't obsolete in any way the R7000.

Message 145 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

Netgear has a huge proliferation of routers and releases new ones more often than anyone else, I think.  What I have seen is that it may take a year or two for a netgear router to stabilize.  I used the r6300v1 as an example.  Previously I had standardized on WNDR3300, then WNDR3400, then WNDR3700 and now R6300.  At some point the 7000 will probably stabilize.  By then you might want something else.  For me, in addition to the connection problem which was a deal-breaker, there were things about the firmware I just didn't like, compared to the 6300v1.

I think some people are having luck with 3rd party firmware.  so if you REALLY want a 7000 for some reason, that might be something to try before returning it.

For me, I didn't see anything in my practical usage of the 7000 that made me want to keep it.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 146 of 149
Killhippie
Prodigy

Honestly your Router may be reliable but so is my R7000 on stock firmware, and it does not have the bottle neck of a underpowered single core processor, the R7000 and AC 1900 routers are really still the sweet spot right now. The R6300v2 was a much better router than the R6300v1

Message 147 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

I should also add that I'm not using ReadyShare, and therefore am not experiencing any bottlenecks processor-wise on the 6300v1.  I experimented with ReadyShare once, just to see what it was like on the 6300v1 and found it to be a total mess and waste of time.  I have 6 NAS devices that work really well, including FTP functionality, but I could see how someone using ReadyShare would want something better.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 148 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

this may be a duplicate response due to user error <g>

Anyway, the vast majority of my 43 devices worked fine with the 7000, but 2 critical devices wouldn't connect, so it's highly likely that many people won't have *any* trouble with the 7000.  And it is a very good router. For the devices that worked, it worked great.

My only observation is that I saw no discernable difference in performance, in my environment, between the 7000 and 6300v1.  I had a similar experience with the 6300v2.  the v2 was an early firmware version, but I had network connection drops and it "seemed" perceptively slower than the v1  at the time, though I didn't take any timings, since the dropped connections were too annoying.

And granted, over time, the 6300v1 has gotten much better and I suspect new firmware versions of the 6300v2 & 7000 are also getting better.  There were some really bad v1 firmware versions along the way.

Also, because I am "so happy" with the v1's, I just don't have the patience to fiddle much with new routers.  If I get a new one that works great out of the box, and outperforms what I have, that's good, but I'm not going to fiddle with them.  As an example, I had some problems with VOIP on the 7000 and couldn't get QoS to optimize it easily.  Not saying it couldn't be done, but in the hour or so I spent playing around with 7000 QoS I couldn't get the results I wanted, so I bagged it.  I think the QoS for the 7000 may be optimized for gaming, maybe? And I'm not a gamer.

If/when a knock my socks off router comes along, I'm happy knowing that I can re-purpose my 6300's as AC bridges and get use out of them that way. <g>

Again, glad the 7000 works for you and hope you get many years of enjoyable performance from it, as it appears you will!

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 149 of 149
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E