Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New R7000 firmware 1.0.11.116 failure to update

ng_husker
Guide

New R7000 firmware 1.0.11.116 failure to update

Just found the latest firmware updated here:
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx#download

Unzipped the download, and tried to update the firmware *.chk file using the Upload button.  It fails with this error message:

<quote>Failure! This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.</quote>

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
ng_husker
Guide

Netgear must have updated the 1.0.11.116 download, because this week I tried again, and this time it installed successfully.  Not sure what the issue is, but clearly Netgear updated the patch.  Darn I wish I had kept the old download, could've checked sized and diffed it against the new one. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14

All Replies

What version do you have now?

You do own the R7000 and not the R7000P?

Message 2 of 14
ng_husker
Guide

Yep as in my OP:  Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router

Version:  V1.0.11.106_10.2.100

Thx. 

Message 3 of 14
ng_husker
Guide

Netgear must have updated the 1.0.11.116 download, because this week I tried again, and this time it installed successfully.  Not sure what the issue is, but clearly Netgear updated the patch.  Darn I wish I had kept the old download, could've checked sized and diffed it against the new one. 

Message 4 of 14
antinode
Guru

> Netgear must have updated the 1.0.11.116 download, [...]

> [...] clearly Netgear updated the patch. [...]

I believe that you meant to say, "I wonder if Netgear [...]".

> [...] I wish I had kept the old download [...]

Not everyone is so careless.

$ pwd
/Software Kits/Netgear/R7000

$ ls -l R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip
 -rw-r--r--@ 1 sms  staff  31011144 Jan 21 13:15 R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip

$ ls -l ~/Desktop/R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip
 -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 sms  staff  31011144 Mar  4 13:37 /Users/sms/Desktop/R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip

$ diff -s R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip \
 ~/Desktop/R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip
Files R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip and
/Users/sms/Desktop/R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip are identical

$ unzip -l R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip
Archive:  R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip
  Length      Date    Time    Name
---------  ---------- -----   ----
 31010874  01-17-2021 23:05   R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.chk
     1143  01-17-2021 23:13  
R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100_Release_Notes.html
---------                     -------
 31012017                     2 files

What's your next hypothesis?  Mine is that you made some kind of
error on your first attempt.

Message 5 of 14
ng_husker
Guide

First time:  browsed to firmware update file, and click ok.  When it gets the error message, redownload, rinse, and repeat. 

Second time:  browse to firmware, and click ok.  Works, no error message.

You offered zero helpful information on original post.  But thanks for being a d##k.  Please call our hotline at 1-800-GFY-ASAP.  

Message 6 of 14
antinode
Guru

> First time: [...]

> Second time: [...]

It's nice that you're happy with what you claim that you did, but the
non-psychics in your audience have no way to verify what you actually
did with which file(s).

> You offered zero helpful information on original post. [...]

Unlike your latest content-free I-did-everything-correctly post?

What _I_ did was demonstrate that the R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip
kit which I fetched today is identical with the one which I fetched
on/at "Jan 21 13:15" (US-CST).  Which suggests that your "Netgear must
have updated" and "clearly Netgear updated" claims are about as valuable
as the rest of your content-free problem description.

That actual information, based on facts rather than (faulty)
speculation, might not be "helpful" to _you_, but it might save some
other poor fellow from chasing a nonexistent problem with the original
R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.zip kit.

But thanks for your thoughtful and constructive criticism.

Message 7 of 14
ng_husker
Guide

A user trying to install the patch, first time, does exactly what I did:  download, browse to the .chk file, and select "upload" in the router update UI.  They see exactly the same error message, try it a few more times to eliminate user error, same result, so they search on the error message and end up at this thread.

Diffing a file in THEIR case isn't going to help at all--because they don't HAVE 2 versions of the v1.0.11.116 firmware file yet.  They have ONE version--which gives them an error.

All I'm doing in my resolution post is saying that "Try again later" is something that resolved it for me.  It's not satisfying, but it did actually work and updated my firmware, and it might help somebody else to know that and try again, despite getting the error.  

So stop pretending like your smug post added anything to resolve the original issue--it wouldn't help a single user that has the original error message I had.  

If you have other actual solutions to try, I'm all ears.  Otherwise, STFU and stop beating a dead horse to boost your lame ego. 

Message 8 of 14

@ng_husker wrote:

A user trying to install the patch, first time, does exactly what I did:  download, browse to the .chk file, and select "upload" in the router update UI. 

That is not the process you described in your earlier message.

You said there:

First time: browsed to firmware update file, and click ok.

That could have described a very different process, and a mistake that many people have made over the years. Some people try to "run", or "ok", that chk file.

You would be surprised by how many people screw up that process, partly because Netgear's instructions ain't great.

That's why it is important to describe what you did in detail. Otherwise we are left guessing as to what went wrong.

I have seen no sign here of any change to the firmware file. That sort of thing gets widely reported, especially for something like the R7000, probably Netgear's best seller.

That is why some people might think that it was user error rather than Netgear's file that failed at your end.

Message 9 of 14
ng_husker
Guide

Not what happened here.  No user error, zero.  Updated firmware many times over the last 7 years--ON THIS ROUTER.  Just used the update UI.  I know how to update firmware.  And even to make sure, I had retried the download/install sequence several times on the first date I tried the patch. 

Message 10 of 14
antinode
Guru

> All I'm doing in my resolution post is saying that "Try again later"
> is something that resolved it for me. [...]

As I recall, you also provided an "explanation" for _why_ "that
resolved it".  I showed that that "explanation" was bogus.

With my weak psychic powers, I could only guess what you did wrong
the first time.  What I'm very confident of is what I demonstrated,
namely, that there's no evidence that Netgear "updated" that firmware
kit, contrary to your (repeated) claim.

No matter how poorly organized Netgear's firmware distribution system
might be, I've never seen any actual evidence that they've published
different files under the same name, as someone here claimed.

> [...] it wouldn't help a single user [...]

Unlike repeatedly downloading the same firmware kit?  Which, being a
zip archive, gets a basic CRC integrity check on every file when its
contents are extracted?

> If you have other actual solutions to try, [...]

Other than do it right the first time, I don't.  What I do have is a
suggestion to avoid groundless claims that Netgear caused your original
problem, and then covered up the evidence in an attempt to make you look
foolish.

Message 11 of 14
ng_husker
Guide

Let's see--your smart-ass responses helped me.....oh yeah.  Not at ALL!

Retrying the update a few weeks later, resolved it.  So hmmm, yeah, I guess which was more helpful is evident. 

Good Lord this forum is a waste of time--it's why I've hardly ever posted, or even read anything here.  There's rarely specific helpful solutions technical or otherwise, usually just a smug smart-arse or two, present company included, sitting back and throwing rocks for their entertainment.  Out.

Message 12 of 14
James721
Luminary

@ng_husker wrote:

Let's see--your smart-ass responses helped me.....oh yeah.  Not at ALL!

Retrying the update a few weeks later, resolved it.  So hmmm, yeah, I guess which was more helpful is evident. 

Good Lord this forum is a waste of time--it's why I've hardly ever posted, or even read anything here.  There's rarely specific helpful solutions technical or otherwise, usually just a smug smart-arse or two, present company included, sitting back and throwing rocks for their entertainment.  Out.

LMAO!!!   Yes these forums are a complete joke and the mods here are clueless.  Netgear don't care just look at there crappy firmware over and over again. Netgear bases there bizz model on the hope all there customers are stupid and don't even know what firmware is. And again the mods here are rude and useless. Buy your products from another provider and save your sanity.

Message 13 of 14
ng_husker
Guide

Michaelkenward fair enough, no way of knowing what process users follow and I did say clicked 'ok' at one point.  My bad on that confusing comment. 

But it doesn't change what ACTUALLY happened.  It's definitely not user error, the standard router UI-based upload process was used--same as has been used probably 30 to 40 times before in the years I've had this router.

Screens showing the simple update sequence:

ng-1.pngng_2.png

Tried downloading the bits, then installing as above, 3x on the January attempt.  Same error all 3x, no way this is user error with my background and such a simple UI-based operation.  And I've seen this report from other users online. 

This week, it occurred to me to check if perhaps they had a new version of the patch.  The auto-update checks in the router don't always work anyway.  I saw version was the same, but thought maybe they could've patched the patch, since some including me had issues with it earlier.  So I reran the process and it works.  Something changed--it wasn't the user process for the update, and apparently it wasn't the bits either.  Best guess in that case is that perhaps it could've been something specific to my environment:  router, home network, etc.  At this point it's moot.  But I'd maintain that absent any more detailed cause-and-solution type of explanation, which I still haven't seen anywhere, it doesn't hurt to try installing again if you tried and failed earlier.  The main motive I had for trying again was I wanted the security update. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7