Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New R7000 is allowing unknown telephones to use my network

This may be of interest;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg266394.aspx

“Note that LLTD is not a secure protocol and there is no guarantee that the Network Map is accurate. It is possible for devices on the network to send false announcements, adding bogus items to the map. And Windows might not display devices that do not support LLTD (such as systems running Windows XP).”

I don’t think that means that LLTD makes the network insecure.

Highlighted
Aspirant

I can confirm that I am have also noticed the exact same thing and that is in fact why i came here.  

I have a strong passprhase also and i have the r7000 locked down to block connections until I allow them by Mac.

But two nights in a row I have seen different cell phones on my wifi network on the windows 10 "Network".

In both cases they soon disappeared.

Very strange.  I'd like to know how this is happening.

Message 27 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

My guess is that this part of the FREE internet provided by XFINITY (Comacast) seen as XFINITYWIFI. Other providers have similar setup. When I look for a available WIFI, I often see XFINITYWIFI as available, no password required, WIFI access.

Message 28 of 33
Highlighted
Master

You mean they logged into your network or you have just seen them? Two different thing.

Message 29 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

Not loged to my network but I see usually the same devices as Phone when looking using Network panel on my PC.

Message 30 of 33
Highlighted
Master

Nothing unusual then. If some one logs into your network that is of course a concern.

Message 31 of 33
Highlighted
Aspirant

I always suspected that this was the case and I am not concern. The link below, indicates that in fact, this WIFI Hotspot is generated by your own Gateway.

http://wifi.xfinity.com/?CMP=KNC-IQ_ID_sQo6mDuQM-VQ2-g-VQ6-107412911369-VQ16-c-pkw-xfinity%20free%20...

Message 32 of 33
Highlighted
Tutor

My situation cannot be explained as due to someone trying to log into my Xfinity free wifi because I dont have the typical xfinity modem. I do not think my modem has an xfinity free wireless gateway. The modem is a ubee U10C035.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements