New R7000 loses download speed over time?

nToxik
Aspirant

New R7000 loses download speed over time?

Hi all,

I have a concern with my new R7000 that I purchased no more than a week ago. I used Genie to update to the latest firmware when I installed the router. I am on Roger's cable 50/3 broadband.

My problem is that the other night I noticed during gaming that there seemed to be some lag even though ping looked fine. At the same time, playing some youtube and devo videos, audio was giving me a crackling/popping sound. I opened up Genie and in the tab that shows your download and upload speeds, download was showing 1.14Mbps which I thought was really low. I decided to reboot both the router and my PC and after that the audio cleared up and Genie was showing 52Mbps. I never had this sound problem with my old Dlink 655 that I was previously using.

Last night the same problem happened where I thought there was noticeable lag during gaming. This time I didn't check youtube for audio issues. I went into Genie and it was showing .92Mbps download speeds. I then did a speedtest and was getting over 50Mpbs which looked normal.

I rebooted my PC and checked Genie again and it now showed to 1.14Mbps. I then rebooted my router and Genie showed 5.1Mpbs. Another speedtest shows over 50Mbps.

Am I reading this correctly? Is my router slowing down to a crawl or am I misinterpreting what Genie is telling me?

I guess I am wondering if I should return this router?

Thoughts?
Message 1 of 20
netwrks
Master

Re: New R7000 loses download speed over time?

Genie isn't the greatest tool. It's fun to use on Smart phones, but I wouldn't rely on it.. Run speed check from Rogers Web site. Best if you can do it on router, and Rogers modem, via wired connection, for comparison.

Regarding FW updates on the R7000. Most here will agree, the following steps should be taken when doing a FW update on the R7000.

1 - Go to Netgear site and download a fresh copy of latest FW and save it on your desktop.

2 - reset R7000 to factory default. (hold reset button on back of router until power button flashes then release).

3 - When router has reloaded, and, with a wired connection to the R7000, connect to default IP address: 192.168.1.1. (default admin and default password).

4 - Update router with latest FW, using browse on the update page to your desktop. When router is finished updating it should reboot. When the reboot is complete, REPEAT STEP 2.

5 - Using your web browser reconnect to the router 192.168.1.1 and Manually reconfig your router. Ensure QoS is disabled on the router. In the current version QoS impedes CTF.

The reason all these steps are required, is to ensure, nothing residual from the previous FW, or config could cause an issue with the router update.
Message 2 of 20
nToxik
Aspirant

Okay thanks. I made an error in my last post - I'm on Shaw 50/3 (or 50/5) not Roger's, not that it matters really.

Do you think I should re-install the latest firmware or just do a reset to factory default? Maybe the latter I should try first.
Message 3 of 20
netwrks
Master

If it was me, I would start from FW reinstall, and go from there.
Message 4 of 20
nToxik
Aspirant

Okay I'll try that tonight. Thanks.

One last question (i;m sure you've heard that before :cool: ), should I do a factory reset before re-installing the firmware first (and of course doing another factory reset after the install)?
Message 5 of 20
netwrks
Master

Hi - Please do as described above. Fresh copy of FW, etc..
Message 6 of 20
RogerSC
Virtuoso

nToxik, Given the problems that you're seeing, an extra reset before re-flashing couldn't hurt. It won't take much time, since you're not re-configuring the router until after the re-flash and the factory reset with the re-flashed router.
Message 7 of 20
01R
Luminary
Luminary

if ur using the latest firmware it has a bug with thouroput n speed n losing connection alot u need to download the last firmware n use that until they fix this in a new update
Message 8 of 20
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have not seen any throughout issues with this firmware, now and then I have seen wan issues but they are not a major issue, its generally accepted to run latest firmware if possible for security fixes, I note the R8000 has a new firmware which has a fix the Poodle CVE-2014-3566 Vulnerability, that took Netgear a while leaving its punters vulnerable for months. Id rather have a few minor hiccups than be open to attack. I wonder if the R7000 has the same issue, I'm expecting it has sadly and would not be surprised to see an update to fix that issue soon.
Message 9 of 20
peekeesh
Novice

to the OP, did you get your issue resolved?

I'm having the same issue with my router were I only get 100mbps down and 20mbps up. Before I used to get 335mbps down and 25mbps up on timewarner's ultimate 300 plan.This started happening after i installed the latest firmware.

I tried to re-install the old firmware that originally came with the router but the issue persisted.

tried different firmwares and the fastest was dd wrt. I can get up to 150 but that's about it. i need to get it back to 300 and i'm not sure what else to try. I've done a lot of troubleshooting already but to no avail.
Message 10 of 20
netwrks
Master

Follow steps in Item 2 above. Use latest FW. DISABLE QoS and ensure WMM is ENABLED on router and your wireless clients, if need be..
Message 11 of 20
peekeesh
Novice

hey there, thanks for your reply. I followed the steps in item 2 to the dot to no avail. i tried 4 different firmware versions starting from the latest release and none of them worked. i guess i'm gonna just sell this thing or give it to my folks and just buy a different router.
Message 12 of 20
netwrks
Master

Have you tested throughput directly connected to ISP's modem? How is the ISP's device configured?
Message 13 of 20
netwrks
Master

Have you confirmed that the R7000 and the ISP modem have connected at 1gig? (Check WAN connection on R7000).
Message 14 of 20
nToxik
Aspirant

peekeesh wrote:
to the OP, did you get your issue resolved?

I'm having the same issue with my router were I only get 100mbps down and 20mbps up. Before I used to get 335mbps down and 25mbps up on timewarner's ultimate 300 plan.This started happening after i installed the latest firmware.

I tried to re-install the old firmware that originally came with the router but the issue persisted.

tried different firmwares and the fastest was dd wrt. I can get up to 150 but that's about it. i need to get it back to 300 and i'm not sure what else to try. I've done a lot of troubleshooting already but to no avail.

Hi there,

Yeah I did the firmware update as described but I'm not sure if the problem is fixed or not yet. I just noticed that my video & audio was a little laggy and had some crackling noise again so I did a speedtest via Genie and I got ~20 down/~3 up. My ISP is 50/3 speed. I did a route reboot (via Genie) and ran the speedtest again with the same results.

I then rebooted my PC and youtube seemed fine, ran a speedtest again and now I get my normal 50/3+ speeds with no more video lag. It seems that the slowdown builds up after 1-3 days.

Does this mean it is PC related? I never had this problem with I was using my old Belkin Wireless G Plus router. I have only experienced this since purchasing the R7000.
Message 15 of 20
netwrks
Master

nToxik,

Lot's of people have identified running Genie on a laptop/desktop introduced issue. I think it is safe to say, most people don't use it. Just remove it. (I'm not sure if the UL/DL speeds are even close to correct, on Genie. You can use speedtest to test your connection. Make sure QoS is disabled on the router. Best to login to the router via a web browser..
Message 16 of 20
nToxik
Aspirant

Well I can remove Genie and see if the issue comes back. When I run speedtest, the results match Genie and vice versa so Genie is reporting correct download & upload results.

Yes, I have QoS turned off (default was off) and WMM on (default was on).
Message 17 of 20
nToxik
Aspirant

I'm the OP, reporting back in.

So far so good. I uninstalled the Genie software on my PC and just use the browser to access the routers settings. So far, I haven't seen a slow-down with the router at all since I deleted the Genie software.

Maybe the Genie software was the cause?!?!? :confused:
Message 18 of 20
netwrks
Master

Happy to hear you got that sorted out. Heard lots unfavourable, about running Genie on a laptop/desktop.
Message 19 of 20
Shadowlore
Guide

Quick note on this... I've seen some issues with Genie, when running IPv6 on Windows 7/8 machines. (complete slowdowns)

If you disable IPv6 on that PC, with Genie installed, do you still experience the slowdowns?
~ Shadowlore
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E